Need an up to date view on Shampoo please

+2
Jenc
petab
6 posters

Go down

Need an up to date view on Shampoo please Empty Need an up to date view on Shampoo please

Post by petab Sun Jun 09 2019, 16:36

Hi, haven't posted for a while but often check on here for info and normally find the answers I need. So now I need some help please. What shampoo is everyone using for their staffy? My boy is blue and is itching/scratching quite a bit. I've been using the same shampoo for 7 years but suddenly it makes him itch like mad. His skin is clear, he hasn't got fleas or mites. He just seem to scratch himself quite a lot. I'm wondering if its time to try a new shampoo. Suggestions please.
petab
petab
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph/Ralphy/Ralphster
Dog(s) Ages : 5 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male(ish)
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Need an up to date view on Shampoo please Empty Re: Need an up to date view on Shampoo please

Post by Guest Sun Jun 09 2019, 17:37

I would stop shampooing him. Dogs don't need bathing unless there is a specific reason (e.g. they've rolled in something stinky). I would suggest not bathing and see if there is any change. If after a couple of months there isn't, I'd pop back to the vet and check that there is no underlying condition such as colour dilution alopecia, which is sometimes found in blue staffies due to their breeding.

Back to top Go down

Need an up to date view on Shampoo please Empty Re: Need an up to date view on Shampoo please

Post by Jenc Sun Jun 09 2019, 20:01

I agree with Liz, I only ever shampoo Katy if she's had a serious roll in fox poo sick Other than that she just gets hosed off if she's mucky Smile Katy will scratch more this time of year due to the long grass she charges through, I give her human antihistamines if she shows a problem with itching.
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jun 09 2019, 20:40

Yes, it's not good to bathe too often. 

If, however, there is a need, and your dog has sensitive skin, Dermadog is a good one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Animology-Derma-Fragrance-Shampoo-250ml/dp/B00DU9VJLM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=derma+dog&qid=1560109252&s=gateway&sr=8-1

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 10 2019, 08:39

Jenc wrote: Katy will scratch more this time of year due to the long grass she charges through, I give her human antihistamines if she shows a problem with itching.

Same here with Chaos. He has a daily Loratadine during the spring/summer.

On other thought on bathing dogs - over bathing can actually make skin worse, as it strips away the dog's natural coat oils.

Back to top Go down

Post by stevenshm Sat Jul 13 2019, 09:27

I use this one and have had no problems
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ITJEBPO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
but thanks for the advise on over washing i didn't know about the striping away of natural oils i will take that on board

stevenshm
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by MartP Sun Jul 14 2019, 13:44

This is an interesting discussion; I've always been of the mind set not to bathe my dogs regularly, once a year possibly?? Always brushed them out and then 'rinsed' with Luke warm water, no soaps etc.. BUT at the moment my dear little girl is stinking the house out due to sweating, she plays at 70mph as they all do, in dry dust, grass etc etc - so she's been bathed - very very weakly/gently with the usual tea tree sensitive skin shampoo, which I dilute also - circa 3-5mins max too.

Luckily getting it right (I think) as her coat is stilll very smooth and ultra shiny - when you let your dogs on soft furnishings and their own beds of course, carpets etc unfortunately this sweaty/dirty odour occurs...dont tell anyone  

I'm a rufty tufty roofer but I loathe this stink; reminds me of the skanky trains and tubes I have to use - eeeeeuuuugh!!

MartP
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Male
Your Country : Australia
Dogs Name(s) : PJ
Dog(s) Ages : 05.04.2019
Dog Gender(s) : FEMALE
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jul 14 2019, 15:31

I have blankets on sofa and all doggy bedding so they’re easy to throw into the washing machine on a regular basis.

I have not yet washed Nifty, Opium even less.
Guess I’ll keep my (not too) smelly pooches Laughing
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by MartP Sun Jul 14 2019, 16:09

Lol alright alright!! 😐

I too have throws and liftable, washable blankets, towels, spare beds etc etc ..!

Still love my pooch, she smells no worse than me after sweating in this heat wink

MartP

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Jul 14 2019, 17:48

Can i just say that, if your dog does need bathing, use an oatmeal based shampoo - not only is it mild, oatmeal also calms itchy skin & generally smells good without perfumes!  Wink

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by MartP Sun Jul 14 2019, 18:18

Hey, ok that sounds great - thank you - will buy and try!! Wink

MartP

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MartP Sun Jul 14 2019, 19:14

Ok so just found Progroom Oatmeal shampoo on the net, reads well so will try!

MartP

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jul 14 2019, 19:24

Hold on a sec ...

MartP wrote: my dear little girl is stinking the house out due to sweating

I thought dogs only sweat through their paws and panting, not through their coat like other animals (my horses come to mind) ?
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MartP Sun Jul 14 2019, 19:30

Ok, I thought differently as in via ears, fleshy areas etc? The term I used isn't really accurate, they obviously don't 'sweat' the same way humans do, was referring to the odour that is emitted - not necessarily a doggy smell, but when she's played on a dry, dusty area for example she seems to come back 'smelly'...!

I've also been without a dog for over a year prior to PJ so guess I've become acclimatised lol!

MartP

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Jul 14 2019, 19:34

Is she not just one who likes to roll in what she shouldn't ?
Smelly pups are soggy ones. Laughing
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MartP Sun Jul 14 2019, 19:39

No!!! my princess!?!?!? How dare you lol!! Laughing Laughing

It's just seemingly 'sweating and dirt/soil particles'?? Honestly the only thing I can compare it with is the dirty seats on the trains/tubes - especially when it's hot weather...

She's fine and dandy x not anything to over stress about - I bathed Milo (my last boy) probably half a dozen times in all his 16 years on this earth - but did brush him out and he also loved a paddling pool lol

MartP

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down