Help!

4 posters

Go down

Help! Empty Help!

Post by lauramiller Tue May 14 2019, 09:25

Hi,

So i am new to this, but thought I would try.

We have a little blue Staffy - Rocco and since a few weeks after having him we have had constant skin troubles. He is now 15 months! We have tried everything the vet has suggested as they believe its an allergy to something. we think it must be grass. I have tried everything, but recently he constantly licks and chews on his feet. His belly goes really sore. At the moment I use hibiscrub when he gets a flare up of the red skin and this calms it down. However, has anybody got any suggestions on how to stop his constant licking and chewing of his paws? I have used evening primrose oil, teatree ointment. I currently use an itch stick but that only helps temporarily. He is curently on apoquel half a tablet each day. I try and distract him when he starts, but I am not always there to stop him.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Laura
lauramiller
lauramiller
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help! Empty Re: Help!

Post by Nifty staffy Tue May 14 2019, 12:05

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Help! Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Help! B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue May 14 2019, 12:16

Hello and welcome from us.

Skin problems and a blue coat instantly make me think of colour dilution alopecia. I presume your vets have checked for this?

Licking and chewing of the paws can also be due to stress and boredom. Does Rocco stay alone for any length of time ?

Help! B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Tue May 14 2019, 12:30

Hi from me & Katy Big Grin Rocco is a handsome boy but I'm concerned like Nifty regarding him being blue. Did you meet his parents? Are they both blue? Breeding blue on blue bring major skin issues!!

Help! B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue May 14 2019, 13:16

Hi & welcome. 

If it's grass allergy, then a Piriton tablet two or three times a day can help. But the best way to deal with it would be to wipe his belly & paws with a warm, damp cloth every time he comes in from a walk. You could also try massaging in some coconut oil - it will benefit his skin, and act as a temporary barrier.

If it's Colour Dilution Alopecia there is very little you can do other than keeping his skin healthy. Coconut oil may help, but so may a can of sardines in oil two or three times a week. 

Does his skin look 'rubbery' or just inflamed?

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by lauramiller Tue May 14 2019, 15:38

Hi all,

Thanks for much for the replies. We actually havent heard of colour dilution alopecia so it might be worth asking the vets about that at our next visit. We did see both mum and dad and they were both blue. I did read before we got Rocco that blues do have a lot of skin problems, but typically you dont think it would happen to you!

he is really lucky in that he doesnt actually spend much time on his own at all. Maybe 3 hours every so often, but not much at all. We have tried the coconut oil but he loves the taste of it and makes him lick even more. We have started wiping his belly and paws when we come in from a walk.

I would say it is more inflamed. I guess the more he licks it, the more sore they become. I might try the sardines on his food too!

Thanks for all your help, and I will have a chat about the dilution alopecia.

lauramiller
lauramiller

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Tue May 14 2019, 18:04

Strangely enough, very few vets have even heard of CDA. The following might help you to understand it... 

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t17716-colour-dilution-alopecia#254063

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: