Hello SBT fans

5 posters

Go down

Hello SBT fans Empty Hello SBT fans

Post by KarenTap Sun Dec 23 2018, 13:42

I've just joined so thought I'd say hello :-)

We've just re-homed a 8 month Staffy called Roxy and loving her already. She is well trained, so we've by-passed lots of the puppy stages.

I have a couple of questions that I wouldn't mind peoples thoughts on:

1. Walking off the lead
We'd really like to walk Roxy off the lead on our walks which do include parks. We want to get her used to all the things a park has to offer. She seems to be ok(ish) with lots of treats in my pocket and a ball to keep her focused and to stop her jumping up at people, runners and cyclists! Do you think we're mad!?! Any top tips on walking without the lead?

2. Sleeping
We really don't want Roxy sleeping in our bedroom (she was with previous owners). She is crate trained and has her bed in the crate. We've put the crate downstairs. I hate keeping the door shut (and previous owns said not to do this unless we go out), so I'm just leaving the door open and getting up on a regular basis to stop Roxy coming up stairs. Has anyone else gone through this process? Any tips?

Thanks
Karen & Roxy
KarenTap
KarenTap
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Hello SBT fans Empty Re: Hello SBT fans

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Dec 23 2018, 15:49

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Hello SBT fans Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Hello SBT fans Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Hello SBT fans Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Hello SBT fans Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Hello SBT fans Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Hello SBT fans Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Hello SBT fans Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Hello SBT fans B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sun Dec 23 2018, 16:09

Hello and welcome from us.
Congratulations on your new family member, can’t wait to see photos Big Grin

For walking off the lead, have you tried her with a long lead, just as a security measure ? Otherwise it sounds as if she’s mastered off lead already.
I don’t know where abouts you are but do be very careful of her jumping at people and/or interactions with other dogs (be it her who starts it or not). Do bear in mind that not everyone is comfortable with a dog jumping up at them, however friendly the owner says it is. And not all dogs will be as friendly or under control as yours, they will always blame the staffy first if anything happens.

As for the sleeping arrangements, have you considered using a baby gate to stop Roxy coming up the stairs ? It’s probably more of a mental barrier than a physical one but it’s more “open” than the closed door. She’ll still be able to hear you but not take the stairs.

Hello SBT fans B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sun Dec 23 2018, 19:31

Hi from me & Katy, well done on giving Roxy her forever home Smile

Off lead is great as long you have her recall perfected, until then use a long line or lunge lead so she has the freedom but you still have control over her. As for crate training I can't really help, Katy sleeps in with us Big Grin

Hello SBT fans B110
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Dec 23 2018, 20:30

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

Walking off lead is the best, however, work on the recall so that you have confidence that Roxy will come when called to do so.

We rescued our girl and also didn’t want her on the bed with us so tried all sorts, baby gate included but actually found that she decided where she wanted to sleep if she wasn’t allowed with us. With our Flo it was the sofa so we simply closed the door and left her too it, she also had her own bed in there but never uses it over night.

You might find that putting her bed outside your room works but ultimately I think it’s trial and error until she decides where is a good alternative to your bed.

Well done on the rescue and looking forward to seeing some pics.

Hello SBT fans B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by KarenTap Wed Dec 26 2018, 21:46

Thank you all for your welcomed responses and your encouraging words
:-)) We are dead chuffed with Roxy and finding that Staffies are just the most wonderful, charismatic dogs. We're working on our recall and treats seem to be the secret! Still up early as Roxy will go to her bed but still comes up stairs to see us at 5.30am (yawn) but I take her back with minimum attention, let her out for a wee and then send her back to bed. As it's Christmas I've been sleeping on the sofa with her (bad habit I know!), we'll get there I'm sure.

Cheers,
Karen
KarenTap
KarenTap

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog(s) Ages : 8 months

Back to top Go down

Post by BedroomCzar Thu Dec 27 2018, 20:57

Welcome Karen from Molly, Zeus and myself. We are glad you found this site and we need more owners to this fantastic breed.  I really never met anyone that owned this breed that regretted having one (or a dozen) I did meet a few that didn’t and had harsher opinions however.  So we need all the voices we can.  I am also pretty new to here and was once part of the hostile voice.  I have converted.  I took in a couple One probably mainly SBT and the other GSP and APB.  Both are rescues and the only papers they have are left shreaded  in the yard.  I had to stop getting the newspaper because Molly got upset the paperboy kept throwing his garbage in our yard.  As well Zeus has resulted to having to hide his poop from the service that picks it up every week. I often wonder what go through their minds when we throw away good toys but pick up poop?  Zeus saves them for me.  Normally in the center of a laural hedge that is probably used as a landmark for the Seattle Airport.
BedroomCzar
BedroomCzar
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus and Molly
Dog(s) Ages : 5 and 7 years
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female

https://www.northbeachpaws.org/

Back to top Go down