Collie attacked.....again.

5 posters

Go down

Mad Collie attacked.....again.

Post by Saggysack Sun Oct 21 2018, 17:21

Hello again everyone,

couple of days ago I was walking Rigby in the local woods as I do usually 2/3 times a day, now the view is sometimes very good in terms of seeing other folk coming in the opposite direction. So, as with most folk I meet when I see someone coming (unless I know them and their dogs) I put Rigby back on the lead to protect him and others (he is extremely friendly with dogs and people) in case their dog is scared, aggressive or they just don't like dogs.
This is a good practice and other people react well to it, unfortunately there was this lady who thought that her collie was okay and despite her seeing me from afar didn't put her dog on its lead. It came bolting up at speed growling and snapping which was unnerving for me and Rigby and despite my protestations she made no attempt to put this dog on the lead. I thought, okay it happens i'm sure if I see them again she will put the lead on......wrong.
So today i'm out in the same woods good views and I see the owner and she sees me but once again the collie reacts the same and this time more aggression and attempted biting, so i'm asking "hey put him on a lead" etc but no she says "oo I don't know why he's doing that". So to prevent Rigby becoming injured I gently kicked the dog to get it away, not what I wanted but why should my pup be attacked again by the same dog?
Anyway, just feeling upset for Rigby and wondering why some owners have a very narrow sense of responsibility. Any ideas as to how I can deal with this if it happens again?at wits end
Saggysack
Saggysack
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Rigby
Dog(s) Ages : 13 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Mad Re: Collie attacked.....again.

Post by Jenc Sun Oct 21 2018, 20:24

Bloody people! If you see me putting my dog on the lead I expect you to do the same angry so many call out Oh he/she is friendly, Katy is reactive hence I put her back on the lead!! So many dogs have had a go at her & it really puts her back in her training. They really need to learn the etiquette of dog ownership!!

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Collie attacked.....again. B110
Jenc
Jenc
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Oct 21 2018, 21:16

Oh, dear, such irresponsible behaviour!

All you can do is carry on with what you're already doing - or find somewhere else to walk Rigby.

Some people will NEVER listen, I'm afraid.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Saggysack Sun Oct 21 2018, 22:20

Hi
and thanks for your kind replies. I think i'm going to take my GoPro with me on walks and record for the duration. That way I will have a video record of events, when it happens I don't think straight!
Cheerio xx
Saggysack
Saggysack

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Rigby
Dog(s) Ages : 13 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22 2018, 08:05

Sadly there may not be much you can do about the other dog but what you can do is make sure that Rigby doesn't have a negative experience. Annoying though it may be, it's important you don't react in a way that will cause any stress to Ribgy, such a grabbing hold of the lead, getting cross, shouting, etc. Those are the sorts of things that can signal to him that he too should be worried, and from there you can end up with a dog who starts to worry if he sees other dogs coming towards him.

Instead, if possible, turn it into a fun event by running in the opposite direction for play. I don't mean running away, I mean 'hey Rigby! Come this way, where's your toy!' as if it's the greatest game on earth. That might actually help stop the collie in its tracks as it won't be what it expects. It might even be an idea to have a toy tucked in a pocket so you've got one if you need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Mon Oct 22 2018, 08:39

So sorry to hear this. Some people just refuse to put their dogs on a lead and it's so annoying!!

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Collie attacked.....again. B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by rotten991 Fri Jun 11 2021, 23:02

Find some cooler place. Your dog will grow, people will still be people, some dog will suddenly appear even if you are avoiding that, staffs can be no joke in defense and you will have a problem because it's staffy, seen as raging pitbull by society. Food & Treats > Vet bill for someones stupidity Big Grin !!

rotten991

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Oggi the schnitzel and zoey
Dog(s) Ages : 2mo and 7mo
Dog Gender(s) : male, female
Support total : 10

Back to top Go down