Its been a long long time

Go down

Its been a long long time

Post by Niffer on Thu Sep 27 2018, 13:28

Hi - Oh my goodness its been so long since I posted on here.Milo has just turned 5 years old and unfortunately has been diagnosed with arthritis in his shoulder bless him, and I hate to see him suffering esp in the mornings. About 2 months ago the vet put him on a 3 weeks course of Metacam and Glucosamine supplements - Seraquin. At the mo these don't seem to be having any effect at all. Has anybody used Seraquin? I'd love to hear how your staff got on with it. Thanks
Niffer
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Milo aka Michaelangelo
Dog(s) Ages : 14/09/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Its been a long long time

Post by LizP on Fri Sep 28 2018, 11:41

Hi Jenny! Lovely to hear from you again, even if the news isn't great. Poor Milo, and poor you Sad.

I don't have experience of staffies with arthritis but do with other breeds, if that helps.

We had Mungo, a golden retriever, who developed arthritis when he was less than a year old. We had over 10 years of managing him, and there were times that it was really hard.

Nola was also diagnosed with severe arthritis in both front elbows 6 months or so ago.

In both cases, my experience is that the drugs are trial and error. I personally didn't feel that Seraquin helped with Mung and we've not gone that route with Nola.

Nola is on YuMove, whether or not it helps I can't actually say but we've got her comfortable so I'm reluctant to change anything. We tried Loxicom on her (similar to Metacam) and it did nothing. We tried Previcox, which is aimed at joint pain, and it did nothing. We tried Pardale (paracetamol + codine) and it did nothing. The vet then suggested combining Pardale and Previcox - bingo! That combination, plus management, have done the trick and we now have a dog who rarely looks more that slightly uneven, rather than the absolutely hopping we had before.

Clearly, there's a big age difference between Milo and Nola, who is 11 1/2. My view with a dog that age is that day to day quality of life is what's important. If there are side effects (dependancy, etc.), to be quite honest I don't mind if that's what's stops her being in constant pain.

It's a discussion to have with your vet but if you feel Milo isn't responding to the Metacam, then maybe ask to try Previcox or Pardale. If the Metacam was going to work then it should have by now, so I personally can't see the point of continuing with a drug that also can have side effects if it's not doing any good.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

LizP
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chaos, Nola and Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 5, 11, and 4
Dog Gender(s) : one boy, two girls
Support total : 1233

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- on Sun Sep 30 2018, 10:58

Hi Jen, great to hear from you Big Grin

My Flo takes Previcox so can’t advise on anything else but might be worth having a chat with your vet and seeing if a change would help.

-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : About 12 maybe
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2863

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer on Thu Nov 01 2018, 15:01

Thankyou so much. I will see what my vet says abou the Previcox etc., Fingers crossed. Its horrible to have a young dog who seems to dread going for a walk, his little front leg sticks out at right angles and hes twisted when he walks. He's always had a funny swing gait since we've had him but had him checked out with the vet (I suspected hip dysplasia for a while) but all was ok apparently. He doesn't have that swing walk now, prob cos he can't walk fast enough. The swingy walking is like the horses run in that buggy racing sport if you know what I mean lol
Niffer

Status Status :

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer on Thu Nov 01 2018, 15:04

Could I just ask where you obtain your Previcox from ? I understand I would need a prescription from the vet too
Niffer

Status Status :

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent on Thu Nov 01 2018, 15:42

I think you need a prescription for Previcox, but not for Pardale - you can get that online from viovet, and other online pet pharmaceuticals

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer on Sat Nov 24 2018, 15:47

Well, Milo went to see a consultant who gave him such a thorough examination I didn't like to watch to be honest - ouch. Milo was very good tho and altho I could tell certain 'maneouvres' hurt he didn't let out a sound. The vet could tell from him tensing at certain points that it was around his elbow area. Anyway to keep a long story short, he had a CT scan which has showed up Medial Coronoid Process disease or Elbow Dysplasia in other words and he advised me to let him operate and remove a little piece of bone (or cartilage?) from both elbows - then he should hopefully be out of pain or at least a lot more comfortable. He goes in on Monday poor boy. I'm so worried for him. When he came out of his anesthetic last time he panicked and attacked the cage bars breaking a little tooth and cutting his lip so I do hope somebody will watch him this time. He's a very anxious boy.
Niffer

Status Status :

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent on Sat Nov 24 2018, 18:51

Aww, poor boy!

I've heard the operation is very successful, so don't worry on that score.

Did you tell them about his reaction last time? Some dogs (and humans) react very badly to anaesthetic.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 300

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc on Sat Nov 24 2018, 19:33

I'm sure the operation will help him a lot, just mention what happened last time he came round! Let us know how it goes Love Struck

Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 699

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer on Mon Nov 26 2018, 15:13

I have to go collect him in a bit phew. the vet extracted the little tooth that he broke as it was appearing to have a bit of an infection, also the nurse said she'd keep him in one of their new kennels with glass doors so hopefully he's been ok this time. I feel sooo lost without him.

Now's the hard part lol. I have to try to keep him from jumping on the sofa, going up the stairs, jumping up people arghh. I'm getting a buster collar instead of the usual plastic lampshade to stop him from licking his wounds, and will have to keep him in the kitchen at night bless him - he'll hate it - but its for the best.

Any hints or tips would be gratefully received lol and thankyou all for the comments so far xxx
Niffer

Status Status :

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Niffer on Sat Dec 01 2018, 13:22

Hi - He came home on Monday and obviously well stressed bless him. His left leg was the worse as the vet found more bits of bone on xray after the op and had to go in again - ouch. swelled around the ankle and knee but it went down quite a bit yesterday. He staggers down the garden for his toilet duties (obviously on lead to make him walk slow) and doesn't want to use his left leg much which I can understand. The thing is he really shakes it alot and bites his toes etc, and I thought it might be pins and needles so I took him back to see the vet this morning just in case. She removed the dressing and took his temperature. It was in the 40s which shocked me but I think it was just that he gets soooo worked up. He howls and screeches when hes there like hes being strangled. Once home he chills out and relaxes and goes to sleep.

She gave me a doggy thermometer, (new one lol), and told me to use it tomorrow or later today to check. Thing is how do I clean it? Has anybody else used one? I was just going to wash it in antibacterial hand soap or something but it says don't wash it and to use alcohol - the word is so long I don't understand it. Also she said just wipe a bit of vaseline on it and the instructions say don't use vaseline so I'm a bit confused Sad

I'd love to read your comments please, esp if you've used one before and how you got on - tips etc lol eek.
Niffer

Status Status :

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down