Loose stools - should i take him to the vet?

5 posters

Go down

Loose stools - should i take him to the vet? Empty Loose stools - should i take him to the vet?

Post by Tashabelle86 Thu Sep 06 2018, 07:31

Hi everyone! Ive had my 8 week old puppy since monday. Monday his stools were what i would say is normal, compact (but still soft and squishy when picked up) and a darker brown colour. Since tuesday afternoon and yesterday his stools have gone to a light brown and are loose. Not totally watery but more like pudding. Last night he did quite a large pudding like pile. Should i take him to the vet? He was checked over at the vet tuesday and has since been dewormed and flead. I also changed his food from what the breeder gave him to bakers dry food for puppies. I plan to feed him boiled chicken and rice today. I was thinking i should switch to a better food like james wellbeloved? Hes behaving normally, running all over the show and playing with naps in between. First stool this morning looked more solid and hes drinking lots without me telling him to.
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Loose stools - should i take him to the vet? Empty Re: Loose stools - should i take him to the vet?

Post by Nifty staffy Thu Sep 06 2018, 13:16

Your problem comes from lack of transition time between switching feeds. You must go progressively with a young pup and change over a period of several weeks !
Please stop switching feeds and he should settle in a few days.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Loose stools - should i take him to the vet? B110
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Loose stools - should i take him to the vet? Empty Re: Loose stools - should i take him to the vet?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2018, 13:27

It might be switching feed, it might be the worm treatment, it might just be a puppy reacting to a big change in his life. They can go through this sort of thing and it's generally nothing to worry about unless it gets worse or there are other symptoms.

I would go to a better quality food - my rule of thumb is feed the best nutrition you can afford. If possible, I'd go back to the breeder's food and gradually (over a week or 10 days) introduce the new one. If you haven't got any left I think I'd ditch the Bakers and go straight to James Wellbeloved or whatever you choose to feed instead. Bakers isn't good and might be causing the problem, and as he's not really used to it yet I wouldn't carry on with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tashabelle86 Thu Sep 06 2018, 15:31

Thanks for the replies! I asked the breeder what he had been feeding and he said it doesn’t matter if I switch it but did recommend James Wellbeloved. I now know this isn’t the case! I’ll stick with chicken and rice today and tomorrow and slowly introduce some James Wellbeloved. He has no other symptoms and last few times he’s gone it’s been more solid so I think he’s on the mend!

Sent from Topic'it App
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 06 2018, 18:11

Oh dear, that's not a good answer from the breeder Sad . The answer is always to continue with the same thing while a pup settles - a good breeder will usually give (or sell) you a couple of months worth of food to ensure their pup has an easy time in the new home.

James Wellbeloved is ok, not top quality but ok. I know there are people on here who feed it and are very happy with it. If you look at this website that analyses and rates a huge range of foods, it comes out about 3.4 out of 5.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

By contrast, Bakers is .01 out of 5 Surprised - it's what I'd call floor sweepings. It may fill a dog's stomach but that's about it.

My personal preference is Millie's Wolfheart, which varies according to variety by is between 5.4 and 5/5! And it's good value.

For me, it's worth doing your research and getting what suits your budget and the way you like to buy (Millie's is online order and comes via my lovely smiling DPD driver - I hate shopping!).

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Sep 06 2018, 23:25

Oh dear. Bakers.

You'll find a LOT of opposition to that particular brand!

If you want to stick with kibble, get the best you can afford & transition him over 5-7 days. The recommendation used to be for a longer transition period, but 5-7 days should be okay.

Have though about BARF feeding? (Biologically Appropriate Raw Feeding). You can get some really good pre-mixed raw completed. I would personally recommend Nutriment, Benyfit & Country Hunter) mm loo

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by joshpills Mon Sep 10 2018, 03:43

bakers is horrendous.

if i were you id switch to raw as was suggested by the post above. i feed prey model raw which is 80% meat 10%bone and 10%offal. you can buy pre mades. go on scruffles pet supplies theyre a good supplier of multiple completes. my personal favourites are "the dogs butcher" "paleo ridge" and "henley raw". however theyre all quite expensive.

where do you live?

joshpills
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Sep 15 2018, 13:33

joshpills wrote:bakers is horrendous.

if i were you id switch to raw as was suggested by the post above. i feed prey model raw which is 80% meat 10%bone and 10%offal. you can buy pre mades. go on scruffles pet supplies theyre a good supplier of multiple completes. my personal favourites are "the dogs butcher" "paleo ridge" and "henley raw". however theyre all quite expensive.

where do you live?

Just a sidestep but I’d love to hear a little more about your canine companions.
I think I missed your new member introduction when you arrived here Smile

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tashabelle86 Sat Sep 15 2018, 14:14

I wasn’t aware how bad bakers was! Obviously wouldn’t ever buy it again. He’s on James Wellbeloved now, well we are slowly introducing it along with the chicken he’s been having to ease his stomach. He’s much better now!

He is a blue and white staffy, 10 weeks old tomorrow and having his second jabs Tuesday. I can’t wait to take him out! He’s quite nippy at times but I understand that’s normal behaviour, he responds well to time outs. I have booked him in for puppy training classes on October 1st and can’t wait for him to start! He’s already got “sit” mastered and will come to me 9/10 times I call him. Toilet training is going well, a few accidents here and there but outside for the most part! All in all I think he’s doing pretty well since he hasn’t even been here for 2 whole weeks yet!

Sent from Topic'it App
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 15 2018, 17:50

Nifty staffy wrote:
joshpills wrote:bakers is horrendous.

where do you live?

Just a sidestep but I’d love to hear a little more about your canine companions.
I think I missed your new member introduction when you arrived here Smile

There wasn't one - you didn't miss it!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 15 2018, 17:52

Tashabelle86 wrote:I wasn’t aware how bad bakers was! Obviously wouldn’t ever buy it again. He’s on James Wellbeloved now, well we are slowly introducing it along with the chicken he’s been having to ease his stomach. He’s much better now!

He is a blue and white staffy, 10 weeks old tomorrow and having his second jabs Tuesday. I can’t wait to take him out! He’s quite nippy at times but I understand that’s normal behaviour, he responds well to time outs. I have booked him in for puppy training classes on October 1st and can’t wait for him to start! He’s already got “sit” mastered and will come to me 9/10 times I call him. Toilet training is going well, a few accidents here and there but outside for the most part! All in all I think he’s doing pretty well since he hasn’t even been here for 2 whole weeks yet!

Sent from Topic'it App

The Bakers adverts sound SO good, don't they? They're not!

Glad he's getting on a bit better now..... any pics?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tashabelle86 Sat Sep 15 2018, 18:00

I have hundreds of pics!
Loose stools - should i take him to the vet? 15370310

Sent from Topic'it App
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 15 2018, 18:04

OMG how gorgeous! Love Struck Love Struck

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Sat Sep 15 2018, 18:08

Ooh, he’s lovely ! Love Struck

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tashabelle86 Sat Sep 15 2018, 18:09

He is rather handsome! Not so much when he has my thumb in his mouth and won’t let go haha 😂

Sent from Topic'it App
Tashabelle86
Tashabelle86

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Sep 15 2018, 18:14

Oh, those needle sharp teeth! Laughing

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by tattoo135 Tue Jan 29 2019, 13:14

i have an 8 and 6 month old staffy everytime i worm and de flea them there stools become loose for about 24 hours
then go back to normal hope this helps put your mind to rest a little bit
tattoo135
tattoo135
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Your Country : Australia
Relationship Status : In a civil partnership
Dogs Name(s) : Blue/Diesel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down