When to get our girl fixed

5 posters

Go down

Dog When to get our girl fixed

Post by AshleyW Tue Apr 24 2018, 14:42

Hey guys like the title says been looking into when to get our Cleo spayed, been looking online and though the forums on here and seen loads of mixed opinions and facts the main ones that concern me are the potential negative effects of getting our girl fixed to young etc if we got her fixed young (<6 months) she will stay that age mentally.

What are your guys experiences when did you get your girls spayed and how did it effect them.

AshleyW
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: When to get our girl fixed

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Apr 24 2018, 18:07

Hi & welcome to the forum  wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

When to get our girl fixed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

When to get our girl fixed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

When to get our girl fixed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
When to get our girl fixed Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
When to get our girl fixed Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
When to get our girl fixed Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
When to get our girl fixed Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Tue Apr 24 2018, 18:17

Hello and welcome from us.

It’s indeed a tricky question with very differing opinions.

My Nifty has just had her first birthday and she's booked in for her operation in a couple of weeks.
She’s had her first season and is just coming out of a phantom pregnancy so I’m happy that it’s a good time for her. Vet also mentioned that repetitive phantom pregnancies can increase the risk of mast cell tumours.

From my research and in my opinion, <6 months is really too young and from the development point of view (physical as well as mental), I wanted her to at least have her first season. Some say to wait 2 or 3 seasons but I think her first season was enough for us all ...
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Tue Apr 24 2018, 21:50

Hi from me & Katy, I had her spayed at about 18 months after 2 seasons & a phantom. It is personal preference but I waited until Katy had fully grown & matured. I believe 6 months is too early but that's my opinion
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Apr 26 2018, 18:22

Hi & welcome.

My advice would be in two parts...
1) If you can guarantee that she won't mate by accident, then don't do it - or if you still want to, wait for full mental & physical maturity, so around 2 years old.

2) If you're in a situation where you'll find it difficult to keep dogs away, let her have at least one, preferably 2 seasons & then have her done.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Fri Apr 27 2018, 08:29

Welcome from misty and I. We rescued misty at 14 months old and that same week she went into her second season. We had already got her booked in for spraying but had to bring it forward due to a suspected case of pryometra so she was spayed about two months after her second season.

My mum had our family Labrador spayed after her first season and she was fine, she lived until sixteen and was perfectly healthy.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Apr 27 2018, 10:06

Mistys Mum wrote:
My mum had our family Labrador spayed after her first season and she was fine, she lived until sixteen and was perfectly healthy.

Yes, and many bitches will be. But there are several reasons for delaying a spay. All anyone can do is read, enquire & think.

Don't take anything at face value, even a vet's advice. Vets nowadays seem to want to neuter everything at 5 months old & don't give you time to think about it because they want to book you in straight away. But for a breed like the Stafford - a notoriously sensitive breed - later neutering is better than earlier. They are far better off maturing properly, and then the decision can be made.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyW Tue May 01 2018, 08:59

Thanks a lot everyone for the great advice after reading this I think we will wait till her second season but even when this comes we will see how she has come maturity wise and if she needs a little longer we will wait.

Thank you all very much!

AshleyW

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down