To Crate or not

Go down

To Crate or not

Post by Leesakk on Mon Apr 16 2018, 15:16

Hi,
So our little one will be coming home with us on the 29th April.  In the process of sorting everything for her.
Do you think a crate is a must? I have never had a crate for any of my other dogs before, but only ever had small breeds ( yorkies, norfolk terrier and jack russell )
Lots of people are saying to crate but I feel unsure.
Also if we do, is it best to buy smaller then go bigger as she grows? And how do you crate train?
She will hardly ever be left alone as myself and husband work opposite shifts so will only be for a couple of hours now and then when I popped to shops etc.

Am open to any views or ideas to make her happy and comfortable and ease of training but so she still feels part of our family but not overly spoilt ( maybe just a little
avatar
Leesakk
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Join date : 2018-04-12
Support total : 0
Posts : 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by LizP on Mon Apr 16 2018, 16:02

You'll get differing views on here about crating. I'm not a fan unless for specific purposes, such as travelling safety if that is an issue, for some rescue dogs who aren't happy with visitors in the home and need a safe place, some medical issues, etc. And if a crate is used, the dog has to be trained to see it as something positive and comfortable, a dog should never be simply put in a crate and the door closed other than in emergency situations.

So I would say the question is why do you need one? If there's no real reason, and from what you're saying I can't see one, then I personally wouldn't bother.



Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

avatar
LizP
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Location : Essex
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Chaos, Nola and Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 4, 11, and 3
Dog Gender(s) : one boy, two girls
Join date : 2014-11-02
Support total : 1224
Posts : 5977

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by Nifty staffy on Mon Apr 16 2018, 19:22

I use crates but for specific situations only.

I have one crate strapped to rear car seat for travelling. Strapped for stability and in case of accident (unfortunately you never know). Nifty usually lies during travel so I have put fleece in bottom for comfort and hygiene reasons.

Other crate is Nifty’s “safe place” and replaces the traditional dog basket in a corner of the lounge. The door has never been installed so she comes and goes as she pleases.

When left alone at home for longer periods, Nifty is in her play pen within which her safe place is installed.

In the puppy section, I posted dimensions of crates in the thread “What size crate?” as I remember being lost before Nifty arrived Smile


Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

avatar
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Join date : 2017-05-26
Support total : 161
Posts : 1173

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by Leesakk on Mon Apr 16 2018, 21:09



In the puppy section, I posted dimensions of crates in the thread “What size crate?” as I remember being lost before Nifty arrived Smile [/quote]

Thanks for that I will check it out.
Still unsure what to do, I don't think we need to really but so much conflicting advice around.
avatar
Leesakk
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Join date : 2018-04-12
Support total : 0
Posts : 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by Leesakk on Mon Apr 16 2018, 21:10

LizP wrote:You'll get differing views on here about crating. I'm not a fan unless for specific purposes, such as travelling safety if that is an issue, for some rescue dogs who aren't happy with visitors in the home and need a safe place, some medical issues, etc. And if a crate is used, the dog has to be trained to see it as something positive and comfortable, a dog should never be simply put in a crate and the door closed other than in emergency situations.

So I would say the question is why do you need one? If there's no real reason, and from what you're saying I can't see one, then I personally wouldn't bother.


Thanks LizP, your advice makes sense as in it seems we don't need to, jut unsure what to do for the best.
avatar
Leesakk
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Join date : 2018-04-12
Support total : 0
Posts : 13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by Nifty staffy on Mon Apr 16 2018, 21:21

I really think you need to think of when a crate could be useful in your setup and lifestyle. If you’ve never needed one before, chances are that you’ll do without again.

I personally opted for the safe crate (open door) as I also have cats at home and wanted to make sure they wouldn’t strike an ambush whilst Nifty was sleeping. I’m not a fan of conventional plastic dog baskets but that’s just my opinion and preference.

Just for information, almost everyone at canine club travels their dogs in travel crates or equivalent, predominantly installed in car boot.


Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

avatar
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Join date : 2017-05-26
Support total : 161
Posts : 1173

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by LizP on Tue Apr 17 2018, 08:08

That's an interesting point. I know various people who use crates to travel their dogs and I think they are nearly all into training/showing. I can't work out sometimes if that's because they are thinking more or if it's peer pressure, not wanting to be the only one to travel their dog just in the boot (or somewhere to hang rosettes). I have a sneaky feeling the latter is not an insignificant reason for many.

A dog clearly needs to be securely confined or tethered with a seatbelt clip but I don't personally see the need to have a crate unless there's a specific need. For example, horse trainer friend has loads of tack and equipment in her car, so clearly her dog needs a safe space where he's not going to get squashed by a saddle, but my dogs are just in the boot with a secure dog guard and for most I would say that's good enough.


Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

avatar
LizP
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Location : Essex
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Chaos, Nola and Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 4, 11, and 3
Dog Gender(s) : one boy, two girls
Join date : 2014-11-02
Support total : 1224
Posts : 5977

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by gillybrent on Tue Apr 17 2018, 12:35

LizP wrote:That's an interesting point. I know various people who use crates to travel their dogs and I think they are nearly all into training/showing. I can't work out sometimes if that's because they are thinking more or if it's peer pressure, not wanting to be the only one to travel their dog just in the boot (or somewhere to hang rosettes). I have a sneaky feeling the latter is not an insignificant reason for many. .

No, it's because the crate can be transferred to the show bench for added safety for the dog.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 52
Join date : 2014-03-21
Support total : 290
Posts : 1383

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by Nifty staffy on Tue Apr 17 2018, 12:41

I personally chose a crate to ensure Nifty had her space in the car (sometimes amongst horse tack too, yes Blushing ) and to be sure she wouldn't get up to any trouble whilst keeping a certain freedom of position she wants to take. If I’d listened to OH, she’d travel on passenger’s knees Surprised

Cars have leather seats and despite the use of blankets, I didn’t want her degrading seats or needing to clean windows of dog slobber after each outing. It can sound a bit of a vanity issue but just because I have animals, doesn’t mean that the car can’t be kept clean and tidy.
When we change cars (or if she travels with a friend), she has her reference homely bubble.

Alot at canine club have several dogs and they also leave dogs in crates between sessions (with vehicle doors/windows wide open, of course). It also helps to avoid scuffles and arguments between dogs ...


Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

avatar
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Join date : 2017-05-26
Support total : 161
Posts : 1173

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by LizP on Tue Apr 17 2018, 13:16

gillybrent wrote:
LizP wrote:That's an interesting point. I know various people who use crates to travel their dogs and I think they are nearly all into training/showing. I can't work out sometimes if that's because they are thinking more or if it's peer pressure, not wanting to be the only one to travel their dog just in the boot (or somewhere to hang rosettes). I have a sneaky feeling the latter is not an insignificant reason for many. .

No, it's because the crate can be transferred to the show bench for added safety for the dog.

That may indeed be a reason for some but the local level of training/showing I'm thinking of, that's not the reason Wink


Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

avatar
LizP
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Location : Essex
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Chaos, Nola and Millie
Dog(s) Ages : 4, 11, and 3
Dog Gender(s) : one boy, two girls
Join date : 2014-11-02
Support total : 1224
Posts : 5977

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by lexii on Tue Apr 17 2018, 23:12

My view on crates is buy the absolute biggest one you can afford and fit in your house. If a small horse can fit in it, then its maybe just about right. Ive nothing against crates if used correctly on a routine that makes your dog happy...but you have to be consistent. If they cry one or two times and you let them out, it will never work. Make the crate bed, and then only close the door when they are happy to. If its used as a "get out of the bloody way" thing, then its unacceptable. If its used to keep the house standing when you go out, again you need to make sure they are happy and comfortable in it and see it as a down time or nap time etc...so if pup gets tired or sleeps...pop them in the crate so they realize thats what its for. Its never (or should never) be for punishment or confinement. It should be a relaxing time. Many cover them over with blankets etc to make it a little "den" which dogs love

Lexi had a crate after her accident where she needed to be immobile for 90% of the day, before that she had never even seen one before. But after that, at 10pm every single night shed be in her crate. If you said "bed" she would go to the crate. My point being, if they learn its safe and wonderful, they will be happy to go to it. We eventually phased it out and replaced it with a dog bed again, but if you put the crate and a dog bed in teh same room, shed go to the crate lol
avatar
lexii
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Location : N.Ireland
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Billy + Lexi(RIP)
Dog(s) Ages : 13
Dog Gender(s) : Dog
Join date : 2015-09-18
Support total : 69
Posts : 590

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by gillybrent on Wed Apr 18 2018, 10:09

LizP wrote:
gillybrent wrote:
LizP wrote:That's an interesting point. I know various people who use crates to travel their dogs and I think they are nearly all into training/showing. I can't work out sometimes if that's because they are thinking more or if it's peer pressure, not wanting to be the only one to travel their dog just in the boot (or somewhere to hang rosettes). I have a sneaky feeling the latter is not an insignificant reason for many. .

No, it's because the crate can be transferred to the show bench for added safety for the dog.

That may indeed be a reason for some but the local level of training/showing I'm thinking of, that's not the reason Wink

Maybe at the charity shows etc. But at benched open & championship shows you are not allowed to have anything other than your bench number & a small name poster on the bench, so the crate is there purely for ease & safety. The only exception is for obedience/agility dogs who can have greetings/good luck cards attached.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :
Online
Offline

Female
Age : 52
Join date : 2014-03-21
Support total : 290
Posts : 1383

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To Crate or not

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum