Travelling, border hopping and contradictory BSL

3 posters

Go down

Travelling, border hopping and contradictory BSL Empty Travelling, border hopping and contradictory BSL

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Apr 11 2018, 19:37

In the country that I live in, it is clearly stated in the law, as the exception, that the SBT is NOT concerned by the dangerous dogs act.

If I drive 15 minutes into neighbouring country, regional BSLs all put SBT in the same basket as pit bulls, all mastiffs, AmStaff, rottweiler and the such with the “dangerous dog” label. This technically means that minimum requirements include that the dog must be kept on lead not exceeding 2m length and must be muzzled in any public place.

As the laws are regional, it’s very difficult to get a straight and clear answer as to what is expected and what consequences are. Friends tell me that you won’t be stopped if dog not muzzled but in the case of an accident (bite/attack) then all insurance cover falls and the owners have integral costs. Some internet sites speak of fines.

I have no intention of muzzling Nifty as, aside her not needing to be, I feel it encourages a dangerous dog label and sterotypical judgement which couldn’t be further from the truth.
So do I keep all my own country papers (including copy of the law) to argue my ignorance or do I avoid ever taking Nifty into this neighbouring country ? Straight Face

Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Travelling, border hopping and contradictory BSL Empty Re: Travelling, border hopping and contradictory BSL

Post by Mistys Mum Wed Apr 11 2018, 19:56

Wow that's crazy! To be honest if it were me I'd just keep Nifty in you're own country. Just to avoid any potential issues with the law. I wouldn't want to put her in a dangerous situation with regards to BSL.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Travelling, border hopping and contradictory BSL Empty Re: Travelling, border hopping and contradictory BSL

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11 2018, 20:17

Is that my L country?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Apr 11 2018, 20:21

No, Ambiguous country is where my OH comes from, and where I work
B
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Wed Apr 11 2018, 20:25

In the region I am regularly in (with or without Nifty)
“The wearing of the muzzle is compulsory for any dog which is or circulates in any public or private place accessible to the public, if this dog constitutes a potential danger for his master or for others because of his behavioral behavior and / or aggressive character, or his selection and / or training to bite or violent antecedents that he would have demonstrated, with the exception of the dog services recognized as being of public utility (police dog or research for example)”

So how far back in a staffy‘s ancestory must we go ??
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2018, 08:13

I've just had to look that up - it's new isn't it?

My gut feeling is that I probably wouldn't take her without trying to find out how the local authorities are applying the law. Even if the consequences are less dire than the BSL laws here, it would be distressing for you to get scooped up in it all. Does anyone in your dog club have contacts over the border, for example?

I personally wouldn't rely on the ignorance card. Ignorance isn't an argument to a policeman who is having a bad day or who needs to fulfil his quota.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Apr 12 2018, 10:58

It's an old saying, but "In the law, ignorance is no excuse".

Never play on the ignorance side of things - you could fail badly!

I would avoid that country (is there a read on you won't say which one?), but I would also buy a muzzle, train her properly to accept it, and carry it in your car/bag. Then, if you're stopped, you can say you were just giving her a rest from it, and pop it on.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down