Leaving a staffy Alone.

+3
Nifty staffy
-Ian-
BrianStaff
7 posters

Go down

Leaving a staffy Alone. Empty Leaving a staffy Alone.

Post by BrianStaff Fri Feb 23 2018, 16:39

Would leaving a staffy alone, from 8 - 3 be good? I want to adopt and Staffies are really common here in the uk. Good idea? Big Grin Basically, my school hours.

BrianStaff
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Leaving a staffy Alone. Empty Re: Leaving a staffy Alone.

Post by -Ian- Fri Feb 23 2018, 16:53

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Leaving a staffy Alone. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Leaving a staffy Alone. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Leaving a staffy Alone. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Leaving a staffy Alone. Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Leaving a staffy Alone. Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Leaving a staffy Alone. Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Leaving a staffy Alone. Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Feb 23 2018, 16:55

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

Yes Staffies can be left at home but...

You would need to give it a good walk before going to work
If you are adopting then the rescue centre will be able to advise if it's suitable for the dog
It would be best if you could get someone to pop in midday to let it out and for some social time
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 23 2018, 17:08

Hi and welcome from me and mine wave

I'd say it depends on the dog. Staffies are very human orientated and love company. So while some don't mind being left for long periods, quite a few do struggle with it. Those that don't cope can become destructive and noisy, which you obviously don't want!

The best thing would be to go to a reputable charity that does a proper assessment of each dog and its needs, and with a clear policy of taking a dog back that doesn't work out. Don't rehome privately, especially not through Preloved, Facebook, etc., as many people are all too ready to gloss over problems in order to get rid of a dog they don't want. It's very common for well meaning adopters to end up with a dog who doesn't suit their home but with no come back and no solution. For all a private ad may tug at your heartstrings, seriously don't go there.

I would also say you might be better going for a slightly older dog. Staffies can be high energy dogs but older dogs in general tend to be happier snoozing for longer periods of the day. That's not hard and fast, you can get some quieter younger dogs and some older ones who haven't quite realised they should be slowing down! Again, if you go to a reputable rescue centre, they should be able to advise you.

Go for the right dog that fits your home, ignore colour or other looks, and you should be fine.

Last edited by LizP on Fri Feb 23 2018, 18:31; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Fri Feb 23 2018, 18:18

Hello and welcome.
Hope you find your staffy to suit your lifestyle Smile
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Thu Mar 08 2018, 07:47

It does depend on the dog - I have always left Buddy from 7.30 to about 11.00 since he was 10 weeks old so he is used to it - just recently I have not always been able to get home at 11 so it has stretched to 2-3 not ideal but Buddy is still snoring when I get in....but and I know its not to every ones taste I do crate Buddy -but with the door open now, as a Chewy pup it was closed !, so he can wander if he wants -he chooses not to - staffies do like human company and can be destructive if bored -as previous advice talk to the rescues they will be best to advise you on their dogs suitability-most say that 4 hours is the max but it does depend on the dog-Good Luck in finding a furry friend:)
smudge95
smudge95
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Mar 08 2018, 18:17

BrianStaff wrote:Would leaving a staffy alone, from 8 - 3 be good? I want to adopt and Staffies are really common here in the uk. Good idea? Big Grin Basically, my school hours.

Are you a student? If so, you won't be able to adopt from a reputable rescue. If you're a teacher, that's quite different.

A lot depends on the dog & the work you're prepared to put in when you're at home. Staffords love company, and although many older Staffs are happy to be left for long hours, some will pine & become destructive and/or naughty.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Sat Mar 10 2018, 07:28

Hi, we built up the time we leave Gus alone. Whenever We come home it’s obvious he has been fast asleep. We get a dog walker in twice a week on the days I have to work a bit longer.

Jnestie84
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 85

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Mar 10 2018, 18:56

Please do come back and talk to us - we're happy to help wherever we can!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Haizum74 Mon Mar 12 2018, 12:42

I remember when I was looking at homing a pooch and went to a dogs home and they asked how long I would be at work. I knew that 8 hours would be a no no from them.
I was then talking to a chap who was an ex dog warden of 20+ years and he said he would have rather someone adopt a dog and have to go to work then have a dog in a 6x6 foot kennel overnight and throughout the day.

Point being, yes you can leave a dog by themselves for a period of time however the most important part is that they have plenty of exercise before you go to work, so as to prevent them from being bored and potentially destroying the home.

Sure even with plenty of exercise beforehand they can be destructive as I have found out however building up the time spent away from home is a good thing to do too. A few minutes to start and build up from there.
Haizum74
Haizum74
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Leaving a staffy Alone. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Nita
Dog(s) Ages : 11 yrs old
Support total : 59

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDRAszQqSSjHtPqD97cmvQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Nifty staffy Mon Mar 12 2018, 17:27

I would also venture to ask where the dog will be whilst you’re out ?

There’s a huge difference between being left outside in the garden with a small kennel, being in an outdoor cage-type kennel, being left inside the house with free access to everything, being kept in a specific room reserved for dog with lots of toys, etc

Will you be able to pop home at lunchtimes at least for a toilet break and a cuddle ?
Nifty staffy
Nifty staffy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Nifty + Opium Black + Tigress
Dog(s) Ages : 15/04/2017 + 25/09/2018 + 02/05/2022
Support total : 310

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down