Biting Staffy

4 posters

Go down

Biting Staffy Empty Biting Staffy

Post by Nathaliafbp Tue Nov 28 2017, 06:05

Hi everyone!

My Staffy Bruce is 7 months old and is still biting a lot.

He only bites when he gets too excited, like after eating or after playing.

I already tried to yelp, to put him in a time out, redirect him for toys or other activities and be firm saying no to him.

Zero results.

I don't Think it's boredom either, since me and my husband are always entertaining him and exercising him.

Also, he never gets alone at home and goes to a dog Daycare once a week.

He is a loving dog and has no other behavior problem.

Has Anyone had this Problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nathaliafbp
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Biting Staffy Empty Re: Biting Staffy

Post by Guest Tue Nov 28 2017, 07:59

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Biting Staffy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Biting Staffy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Biting Staffy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Biting Staffy Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Biting Staffy Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Biting Staffy Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Biting Staffy Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 28 2017, 08:12

Hi and welcome from me and mine Smile

This is a very common problem, so don't worry that your lad's got an unusual problem. Young staffies are generally very mouthy and some take longer than others to settle down.

There are 2 things I'd suggest. The first is to use your knowledge of when he tends to nip - over excitement - and work on that rather than on the resulting behaviour of nipping. If you can manage things better to avoid the over excitement it should help avoid the nipping.

So when you're playing, for example, try and keep energy levels a bit lower and stop before they get too high. Keep your energy down, keep things a bit quieter overall, and encourage him to be more moderate too. Work on 'leave it' and 'enough' commands for yummy rewards, so that he will drop tuggy toys and stop playing when you ask. Then find nice things for him to do that are lower energy - so a bone to chew, hidden treats to snuffle out, a treat ball, whatever will lower the energy.

The other thing I always recommend is, instead of sending the dog for time out, you leave the room. Timing is essential in training, a response has to be immediate and preferably quick. The amount of time it takes to send a dog out of a room, into a crate, means the moment is lost. On the other hand, the second you feel teeth on skin or clothing, you can just up and go, quick. If you are absolutely consistent, each and every time no matter what's happening, and bang on with your timing, he should learn that what he is doing (nipping) drives you away, which is the opposite of what he wants.

The other thing to mention, of course, is that it is important to catch any moments that he was going to nip but remembers and doesn't. That should get huge praise and treats.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Nov 28 2017, 18:57

Hi ya, welcome to the forum from Flo and me Big Grin

What you describe is not unusual at all, as Liz says, some learn more quickly than others. The advice above is all very good and I would concentrate on getting up and walking away, Staffies are very human orientated and will soon learn what gets the attention and what doesn't.

Above all else, don't get too stressed about it, it will pass and before long you'll have forgotten all about it.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Biting Staffy B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Thu Dec 07 2017, 19:46

Absolutely agree with everything Liz has suggested. When working with young animals, a calm attitude is essential. That way they learn that calm is the default mood to be in. Of course we can have fun with our pets, but its much easier to call play time quits on a dog that already knows what calm is.
lexii
lexii
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Dec 07 2017, 20:00