Training a staffy to bark on command

+2
-Ian-
LSS23
6 posters

Go down

Training a staffy to bark on command Empty Training a staffy to bark on command

Post by LSS23 Tue Nov 07 2017, 22:12

Our staff hardly ever barks. In fact, the only time that he ever barks is during rough play (something I don’t exactly want to encourage with there being children here a lot). I’ve tried to teach him how to bark through all the usual methods that I’ve found online to no avail. Has anyone ever had this trouble and got any training tricks to share? Any outside of the box ideas that might give him the encouragement he needs? I’m at a loss at the minute.

He’s 13 months old now and he learnt all the other commands that we’ve taught him with reasonable ease. He sits, lies down, rolls over, stands up on his back feet, waits and takes himself off to bed on command. He just won’t “speak”.

Any help would be really appreciated. The next and last thing I’ve got in mind to teach him is to take him to my friends house whose dog, who gets along well with ours, can speak on command. Hopefully he can learn the behaviour from her. Is this a good idea?

LSS23
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Training a staffy to bark on command Empty Re: Training a staffy to bark on command

Post by -Ian- Tue Nov 07 2017, 22:35

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Training a staffy to bark on command Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Training a staffy to bark on command Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Training a staffy to bark on command Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Training a staffy to bark on command Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Training a staffy to bark on command Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Training a staffy to bark on command Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Training a staffy to bark on command Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Training a staffy to bark on command Empty Re: Training a staffy to bark on command

Post by -Ian- Tue Nov 07 2017, 22:38

Hi & Welcome to the Forum from Flo and me Big Grin

My girl only ever barks when we play hide the rope toy or we go to her treat box. I think you'll find that Staffies aren't really very talkative.

Is there a reason you want her to bark or is it just as a party trick kind of thing ?
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LSS23 Tue Nov 07 2017, 23:05

To be honest, I’m not too fussed but my wife would like him to bark at the door because our old dog used to and it makes her feel safer in the house while I’m at work. Our old dogs used to and we minded a friends staffy x boxer a week or two ago while he’s was away and he barked at the door too.

There’s been a couple of burglaries near where we live lately (our next door neighbour’s house was robbed the night we were looking after our friends dog and he went berserk around the same time it happened) so I’d like to teach him to bark on command and then hopefully at the door in a similar manner to our other dogs have done in the past if possible.

It’s not just that though. I’ve started trying to train him to speak now so I’m determined to get there with him

LSS23

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Nov 08 2017, 01:01

Ah ok I see your reasoning.

Not sure how to achieve the desired effect without ending up with a Staffy that would bark at almost anything, reason I say that is that yes Staffies are smart and will learn to react to a noise or given situation but how do you apply boundaries so that he doesn't bark at the front door at the slightest whim.

You can of course train him to react with reward and could be achieved with repetitive training, though I do think you'd end up with a negative effect with him barking and annoying you for barking at inopportune times.

Having had two Staffies, they are very loyal and will react should their family be threatened anyway, so you might well find that no training is needed.

Hope that all makes sense.
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LSS23 Wed Nov 08 2017, 04:03

Yeah, I’ve been thinking that myself.
My original plan was to reward train him to bark on command, then to do the same at the sound of the doorbell and then perhaps on the sound of the gate being opened depending on whether that would be loud enough for him. But getting him to make any noise at all is proving to be extremely difficult. As you said, they’re naturally quiet anyway aren’t they.

As I said, it isn’t that important to me really although I would like to be able to give my wife peace of mind. It is bothering me a bit that we can’t seem to get there with this particular command now though, I’m like a dog with a bone (excuse the pun) and I can’t help but feel like we haven’t quite finished training until he gets it but no ones perfect! He’s very close though to be fair. I know we’re all biased but he isn’t half a cracker!

LSS23

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Nov 08 2017, 09:22

Hi from me & Katy, I have the opposite problem & in the process of training Katy not to bark at the door or window Rolling Eyes No one can pass our house without her shouting her head off!!!
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 08 2017, 10:24

The problem, as I'm sure you're aware, is that most training methods reinforce a behaviour your dog naturally gives you, with the idea being that you can set them up to do what you want so you can put it on command.

It sounds like the only opportunities you have to do this are during rough play. Although I can understand your reluctance to encourage rough play with kids around, I do think that, with good off switches in place and clear boundaries as to when it's acceptable and when not, you should be able to use this at safe times but teach him not at others. We absolutely have a 'quiet' request that all 3 know - essential with the very vocal rough and tumble here! It's also used for not barking at other things - Millie's quite a noisy little thing!

So that's what I'd do, I'd use the rough play to get the bark and reward it with spot on timing, then pair it with the command, and then pair it with the doorbell, etc. At the same time, I'd teach 'quiet' to mean don't bark in case you do get a sudden release of the vocal chords and extend that to mean 'quieten down', so you can ask him to stop playing when you want. You might also want to give him something else to do, one of the things you've already taught, as 'don't do x' is always harder that 'do y'.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Back to top Go down

Post by LSS23 Mon Nov 13 2017, 18:02

Quick update: We carried on using rough play as a trigger and we’re at the point now where he’s barking on command but he’s also sometimes jumping up as he’s doing so which is probably because we used the rough play at the start. Hopefully, this will stop soon as he learns it’s just the bark that earns him his treat. Really pleased though; big improvement over the weekend!

LSS23

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 13 2017, 20:21

If he doesn't stop jumping, try only giving a treat for a bark without a jump. What often happens with dogs who are expecting a treat is that they'll try different behaviours to see what works if their first attempt doesn't get them their reward, so sometimes it's just a question of holding out till they figure out the stage you're trying to teach.

Sounds like you're making great progress though, it's so satisfying, isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by LSS23 Tue Nov 14 2017, 03:47

Yeah, that’s what we’re doing at the minute and he’s starting to learn I think. He’s still getting confused sometimes and going through his full arsenal of tricks, standing on back legs and rolling over etc when I say “speak!” but he’s doing well and he’s getting there.

Going to give him a few more days to get the simple “speak!” command perfected before we start teaching him to bark at the door because I don’t want to complicate things too much yet.

LSS23

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Nov 14 2017, 09:56

Sounds like real progress Smile
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Oclasticon Fri Apr 06 2018, 00:42

To answer your question I've made a video to show how I do it. The difficult part, as I mention in the video, is to be able to get your dog into a calm attentive state before you do any sort of training. The dog has to be attentive and calm to be able to understand what you want. To get to that stage will take time but its the basis of a good relationship with your dog. Be quiet, be patient, be calm. Wait until your dog is ready to learn, to look at you and be waiting for a cue from you as to 'what next'. They don't speak or understand english so repeating 'speak' forever won't work.
Be patient.
Be quiet.
Set an example of being quiet and calm and the dog will mirror you.
Be patient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-x-Q_VVnWA&t=3s

Oclasticon
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rosie
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Spayed female.
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Tue Apr 10 2018, 00:01

I don't think staffs in general are that vocal. My girl in all her 14 years barely barked once. She would grumble and staffy call, but a proper "bark" was only ever reserved for strange men at the back gate..only ever the back gate. Noone ever came to the back gate thus she never barked.

However, like teaching kids to talk, when they say something...say it with them. So if she ever does bark, say "speak" with them, until you are saying it just before you think they will speak, then they might know "speak"

Not garunteed.
lexii
lexii
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridget97 Thu Dec 07 2023, 23:03

I know im a bit late to this thread (a good 6-7 years lol), but just shocked reading some of the comments about staffys not being very vocal! Mine is so vocal but in a good way, he wont bark at the doorbell or random people walking by (which we dont want anyway cause otherwise he would be barking alllll day), he wont bark at other dogs, wont even bark if he hears another dog barking- he wont bark at anything really that doesn't involve him directly, he just doesn't seem to care lol.

But whenever we come home from work for the day, we have to sit down with him and have "a chat about how his day was" and he will literally bark/make noises "telling us about his day" for a good 5 minuites Training a staffy to bark on command 1f606 and when we have a play before bed hes so vocal with us. Also was able to get him to speak on command very quickly too. Our vet even reassured us that 'staffys are a very talkitive dog', after I was continually apologising for him being so chattery (and noisy) with the receptionists at his vet appointments! I understand there all different in their own unique ways, was just shocked cause my crazy boy is the opposite compared to a few mentioned above haha xx
Bridget97
Bridget97

Status Status :

Female
Your Country : Australia
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Sarge
Dog(s) Ages : 4
Dog Gender(s) : Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down