+3
Jnestie84
-Ian-
gillybrent
7 posters

Go down

Crying A decision had been made!

Post by MattsBabe7 Wed Sep 06 2017, 14:25

Myself and Matt were talking this morning and we've decided it's best that Chase finds a new home with somebody that knows more about the breed and has had previous experience with Staffies.

It's not fair on him to be shut away from us just because he doesn't understand how to behave.
We feel our children are missing out cos it's them and Chase and not us as a whole.

It's very sad, I'm very emotional about it but we're still gonna go ahead with his training and the snip and keep giving him what he deserves until he leaves us.

We're finally getting somewhere with his chip info so that should be sorted out next month.

Thank you to everybody here that has helped both us and Chase with all your replies and knowledge.

Sorry this is such a sad post :-(
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog(s) Ages : Almost 1! Born on Xmas eve!
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: A decision had been made!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 06 2017, 17:52

I'm sad for you that it hasn't worked out but I could feel how much you and Chase were struggling. Sometimes it isn't meant to be.

Chase is a needy boy. It's a common theme with staffies in rescue. They crave attention, especially when their former home hasn't given them that, and they also need a home that can understand their special needs.

You have tried - my goodness you've tried - but your situation is hard. Staffies do make great family dogs, they're among the best with children, but they are high energy and they do need time.

It feels like you've been pulled between the different needs over the last couple of weeks and there's only so much of you to go around. You obviously have to put your family first, it's just a shame that Chase also needs someone who can put him first.

I hope you can find a rescue centre to take him on. I know the idea of kennels isn't great but a good centre will make sure he finds the right home and will give him a safety net if it doesn't work out.

Good luck, Alison. You sound a wonderful person and Chase is a wonderful dog, it's a shame you're not meant to be together but you'll both be happy in your separate lives.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Wed Sep 06 2017, 18:13

Oh, that's sad. You really have tried, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

All I would say, though, is please don't rehome him privately unless you totally KNOW who he's going to. Find a reputable rescue kennel to take him on so that you know he'll go to the right home.

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Sep 06 2017, 18:39

I can only echo the words above Alison, sorry to read it hasn't worked out but as said sometimes it's not the right fit Sad
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by MattsBabe7 Wed Sep 06 2017, 19:09

I'm so sorry to everybody :-( I really have and Still am giving him everything I physically can to make him a better dog.

Chase will be taken to either Blue Cross or Dogs Trust once his details are sorted where I know he will get the training and attention he needs and craves.
He will most definitely not be sent to another private home!

My heart is broken for him :-( but he deserves better than we can offer him right now.
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 06 2017, 20:16

What are you apologising for? You've done the best you could and now are making the right decision. No apologies needed for either!

Rachel, on of the forum admins, who knows the rescues in your neck of the woods, has suggested these:

RSPCA North Somerset

RSPCA West Hatch

St. Giles Animal Centre

They are all good with bull breeds - the Dogs Trust can be a bit picky when it comes to staffies, I'm afraid.

You may find they are full, it can be hard getting a dog into rescue, but explain about the safety for your kids and hopefully someone will have a space for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jnestie84 Wed Sep 06 2017, 20:39

So sorry to hear this. What a very difficult decision you have had to make but totally understandable. Keep us updated on how things go.

Jnestie84
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Support total : 85

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Wed Sep 06 2017, 21:16

So sorry to hear this but you need to put your family 1st. You did your best for Chase & I'm sure you have helped him a lot Love Struck I do hope you let us know how he gets on x
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by Paris1990 Wed Sep 06 2017, 21:21

So sorry to hear this, there is absolutely no need for you to apologise we have all read on your posts you have put on here how much you have been trying with chase and even though I don't have children myself I can only imagine how torn you have been between chase and them. definitely go with a rescue centre and let us know how you get on. Sending hugs to you x
Paris1990
Paris1990
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Hank
Dog(s) Ages : 2 Year
Support total : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by lexii Thu Sep 07 2017, 00:15

I have only briefly read your other posts to be honest, but from what i gather Chase is booked to get the snip? Do you plan to do this before or after he is rehomed? I only ask as though i think some dogs won't change with the snip, some totally make a 180, provided they continue to get the training they have already been getting.

Im not saying that you should not still consider rehoming him, but speaking honestly there is a LARGE % of staffs/bulls in rehoming centers, so statistically speaking there is a chance he could be put to sleep.

This is NOT in any way me trying to guilt you into keeping a dog you can't have...please don't see it as that...i just think sometimes time is the kicker. People tend to get stressed out by a situation, then can't stop thinking about it...then because they are stressed about it it gets worse.

I hate to refer to "famous" trainers cause i know many don't agree with them but all im thinking about here is victoria stillwell and that many of the "dog or me" episodes sounded much like your situation.

At the end of the day, like others have said, you will be doing what is best for your family. You've already proven your worth by TRYING. But i breed horses so i *have* to train the stallions or else what am i doing...and its not easy by any means - which is why everyone takes their balls off. After Chase is snipped...he could be totally different with the right boundries.

Sorry....long winded. All im saying is get the snip NOW and see what happens...
lexii
lexii

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : No dogs now :(
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 07 2017, 07:29

lexii wrote:

Im not saying that you should not still consider rehoming him, but speaking honestly there is a LARGE % of staffs/bulls in rehoming centers, so statistically speaking there is a chance he could be put to sleep.

If you can find space in the right centre, he will not be put to sleep simply because of his breed. Where I volunteer, we usually have about 50% or so bull breeds and crosses. We only put a handful of dogs to sleep each year, usually for medical reasons, because they have been assessed as pit bull type or because behaviour is so extreme we don't think they can be rehomed safely. All other dogs are cared for the best we can, including training as needed and as time permits, and are rehomed.

Yes, there are some places that routinely pts but kennels are moving on and from what Rachel says the ones she's recommended are good with staffies.

To be honest, I think the humping is an attention thing. I've seen it before, including in a female labrador we had in last year - that and attention nipping were the reasons she was signed over to us. Not all humping is attention seeking but some is, and given the history and other behaviours that's my guess. Neutering may help, it may not.

I know this isn't a decision you've taken lightly, please don't feel guilty about doing what is best for your family and ultimately may end up being best for Chase.

Back to top Go down

Post by MattsBabe7 Thu Sep 07 2017, 09:21

Honestly I think it would be best for Chase.
He'll get what he needs right away in a shelter and can then move on to becoming someone's pet and have a forever home a lot sooner.

I'd feel like I would be holding him back if we kept him and thats really not fair!
MattsBabe7
MattsBabe7

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down