Older staffie and anaesthetic

5 posters

Go down

Dog Older staffie and anaesthetic

Post by Fenomina Fri Aug 04 2017, 08:01

Hi all , I'm new to this site but wanted to share this with you in the hope it helps someone else. I have an old boy staffie and on Tuesday he had an op to take out a tooth and have an eyelid wart removed . I thought he would be the usual a bit groggy afterwards but I wasn't prepared for what we have endured for the last 48 hrs ! He has constantly cried , staggered around and been very unsettled the whole time , throughout the day and night , we are exhausted ! I rang the vets in panic wondering what was going on and thinking he was in immense pain although he had had painkillers . I ended up taking him back yesterday morning and he had to have diazepam but even that didn't have a massive effect ! Luckily only this morning ,3 days on he seems more settled . I'm assuming from what the vet said that it was the anaesthetic coming out of his system but it's been awful and I will NEVER put him through that again , my poor boy has been through hell . I searched forums looking for similar stories to help me so I've hope this helps someone else .
Fiona

Fenomina
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Dog Re: Older staffie and anaesthetic

Post by Guest Fri Aug 04 2017, 08:33

Hi & welcome to the forum wave

Welcome to the Staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you've decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your Staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household.

We have several information sheets for those of you looking for help with specific issues. You will find them here:

Older staffie and anaesthetic Animated-arrow-image-0192 Training and behaviour information

Older staffie and anaesthetic Animated-arrow-image-0192 Puppy information

If you can't find an answer to your question, just ask! You'll probably find someone on here has come across your problem too.

This forum is run by the members for the benefit of the users. It's your forum - get involved.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Older staffie and anaesthetic Animated-arrow-image-0192 Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Older staffie and anaesthetic Animated-arrow-image-0192 Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Older staffie and anaesthetic Animated-arrow-image-0192 You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Older staffie and anaesthetic Animated-arrow-image-0192 How to update your Profile information
Older staffie and anaesthetic Animated-arrow-image-0192 See who the Admin, Moderators & Support staff are Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 04 2017, 08:37

Crikey, that does sounds like an awful 48 hours. It sounds maybe that he was very scared about feeling so strange or something.

It's a hard choice with older dogs - the risk of anesthetic vs the need to have something done.

I'm glad he's getting back to himself again. I hope you both have a lovely chilled weekend ahead!

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Fri Aug 04 2017, 09:24

hi, welcome to the forum.

thank you so much for sharing your experience, it may help somebody else down the line.

as Liz says, it's difficult, sometimes, to know what to do with an older dog when it comes to anaesthetic. but if he needed a tooth out, then it was probably necessary to do it - a bad tooth can cause so much pain/discomfort!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Fri Aug 04 2017, 10:43

Welcome from Misty and me. That sounds terrible but it's great to hear he is getting over it now. Good to have you on the forum.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Dog Thank you

Post by Fenomina Fri Aug 04 2017, 18:41

Thank you for your replies and if anyone else goes through this I wish you the best ! I think I'm still traumatised along with my lovely boy . He' s a lot more settled now , still not 100% but getting there .

Fenomina

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat Aug 05 2017, 06:02

Aw what a sin vets generally recommend no serious operations past 9 y.o doesn't help you though hope ur pups better soon.xxx
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sat Aug 05 2017, 19:02

Hopefully he'll go from strength to strength!

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Tue Aug 08 2017, 20:28

Sounds like you and he have had a terrible time. It really is a tough decision to go ahead with an op on an older dog.

Pleased to read that he's through the worst now and hopefully well on the way to getting back to his normal self.
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenomina Tue Aug 08 2017, 22:13

Yes thankfully now he is back to his normal self . Never again !!
Thankyou

Fenomina

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down