Siblings Fighting.

3 posters

Go down

Siblings Fighting. Empty Siblings Fighting.

Post by derek63 Fri Apr 07 2017, 12:27

Hi All, we have had lacy for now for 2 1/2 months now she is good at most things... when we meet other dogs on her walks she will play with any dog but our friends son has her sister and when they meet they always play fight with each other but it gets really rough and lacy is the one who makes her sister bleed, when i pull them apart they both want to start again with each other, how could i stop this from happening because its only her she does it with. thanks.

derek63
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : LACY
Dog(s) Ages : 10 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Siblings Fighting. Empty Re: Siblings Fighting.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 07 2017, 16:21

Firstly, are you sure it is fighting and not more that they get over-carried away with each other. Staffie play can be jaw droppingly rough!

That the siblings interact differently than with other dogs isn't a surprise. They know each other much better and have grown up rough-housing. What you do need to bear in mind, though (and this may be what's going on), is that sibling can have less respect for each other, especially for boundaries, and that is often what can lead them to cross the line. It is why many rescues are super careful about rehoming siblings of any breed, in particular bull breeds. It's not saying they don't get on, more that it can lead to trouble.

What I would suggest is that you and your friends' son both teach your dogs 'enough', which means stop playing. Do it using really tasty treats and start on your own by just calling your dog away from something with the command 'enough' followed immediately by the treat. If it doesn't work to start off with, shove the treat right under their nose. You should be able to build up to knowing that 'enough' means stop what you're doing and get this treat.

Then you move on to play, starting off when play has only just started so they're not excited, and do exactly the same thing. Call 'enough' and give the treat. If it doesn't work in play but did away from it, you're waiting till the excitement is too high.

With practice (possibly lots) you should be able to call 'enough' and they should break apart without you needing to pull them. I would advise that you break them up for no reason quite a bit, with huge praise and rewards, so that it will happen easily.

Then, I would suggest that you never let them get to the point of over-excitement. Yes, let them play, but only for short spells before asking them to break up and be quiet. Let them calm down before playing again. In other words, keep it to a level that you both feel you can manage it, and where it won't go too far.

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Apr 07 2017, 20:11

I couldn't have written anything better than Liz has. It really can be quiet off putting seeing them play as rough as that but generally that's all it will be but as Liz says, you'll want a good level of control to say enough when it gets a bit too rough.
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by I❤dogs Fri Apr 07 2017, 22:50

Liz always has fantastic advice. My jack Russell Saxon still plays way rougher with his brother Lemmie than other dogs. My Mum owns him. They do listen though, we taught enough as well & interrupted play before it went to far. They get on so well & it's nice they see each other regular, they are 6 years old
I❤dogs
I❤dogs
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Saxon and Rebel
Dog(s) Ages : 21/03/11 and 13/02/17
Dog Gender(s) : Boys
Support total : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down