Our Mollie spayed

5 posters

Go down

Our Mollie spayed  Empty Our Mollie spayed

Post by PaulD Sat Jan 28 2017, 18:16

We had our mollie spayed on Thursday, when we picked her up she looked very sorry for herself and not exactly pleased to see us (what have you done to me?) The vets list of do's and dont's included keeping her quiet while the wound heals inside and out. Now the first night was easy as she really did take it badly so I put her in the crate and slept on the settee next to her in case she took poorly during the night but since then it's been a real trial keeping her quiet as she thinks she's back to normal and is running and jumping around as normal. Short of caging her all day and night which I don't want to do I'm out of ideas?  Any suggestions anyone?
PaulD
PaulD
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : 7 1/2months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Our Mollie spayed  Empty Re: Our Mollie spayed

Post by Mistys Mum Sat Jan 28 2017, 19:35

Glad to hear she is better! I remember this from when Misty was spayed. We just had very short on lead walks and tried to keep her as quiet as possible. We gave her a large amount of chews to try to mentally tire her- stag bars, buffalo horns, pizzles and chew toys. We hid treats in blankets so she had to play the find it game to get them but because they weren't in different rooms she didn't exert herself finding them it was just making her sniff which again was mentally tiring. We also did sine training of sit etc but again nothing which involved any recall as this would mean running which was off limits.

Two weeks felt like such long time but it will go quickly! 

Good luck
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28 2017, 19:59

Don't worry about the 'what have you done' look, it was probably just the anesthetic. She won't hold it against you, honest, because she won't really know what's happened.

I think Emma's covered most bases. Definitely look at mental activity games and teaching tricks. You might need to reduce her meals if you do lots of treat based stuff.

Also, remember that you can use a lead in the house. I find it's a great way of making sure that they settle down quietly when you're busy with something. You can anchor it to a table or something, or hold it yourself while watching telly.

It will pass, honest!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenc Sat Jan 28 2017, 20:16

Liz & Emma have covered the answers I would of given. I know when Katy was done she wanted to play her favourite game (tug of war) the day after her op!! I had to speak to my vet as she didn't take any notice of having a major op, so they advised me to reduce her painkiller so she might notice. She still didn't so we hid her tuggy toys & played hunt the treats instead. Lead walks are the hardest, she will be back to normal soon Big Grin
Jenc
Jenc

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Katy
Dog(s) Ages : 9/10/12
Support total : 884

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sun Jan 29 2017, 11:52

I agree that most things have already been suggested and can only add that mental stimulation will tire her out much more than you think.

That sorry for myself look will pass quickly, some take a little longer to shake off the anaesthetic than others but within 24-48 hrs will be back to normal.
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by GRAHAM.C Sun Jan 29 2017, 21:54

Tess has just about finished her first season,so I have that to look forward to in about 12 weeks when we will be having her spayed.In the past with previous bitches it's just been a matter of trying to keep them as calm as possible,but not always easy as young staffs are so energetic and seem to shrug off pain.
GRAHAM.C
GRAHAM.C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : TESS
Dog(s) Ages : DOB JUNE 2016
Dog Gender(s) : BITCH
Support total : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulD Mon Jan 30 2017, 06:02

Thanks for all the suggestions but no matter what we try it's plain she is just not getting the excersise she is used to and obviously needs! I've upped her walk regime to two short walks (5mins each) All the galloping about doesn't appear to bother her and her wound which has healed very quickly looks fine but it's the internal bits you can't see we are worried about. Fingers crossed all will be well.
PaulD
PaulD

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : 7 1/2months
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down