European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car)

4 posters

Go down

European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car) Empty European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car)

Post by Buttons&Khaleesi Fri Jan 13 2017, 12:44

Hi guys, I wonder if you lot can help :-)

my lovely 16 month old girl Khaleesi is a staffy x boxer and we were thinking of taking her away travelling with us for around 3 months in the summer of 2018 (I know it's far away but it would be nice to try and get ideas and arrangements early as I'm supper organised with things like this).

We want to drive in our car as we don't want to have to fly her anywhere because of stress/ cross etc. I wonder if you know what countries in Europe allow staffy crosses and what countries allow you to travel through with a staff cross even if you're not staying there?

Up to now I know that Italy doesn't have any breed specific bans anymore but do they require your dog to have to wear a muzzle, (I'm happy to carry one around but I'm not going to make her wear one) as if this is the case I'm not really interested in taking her there. I know France allows full staffy's with papers but not staffy crosses (as they can be mistaken as pitties and some people say my girl looks like a pittie) but do you know if it's possible to travel THROUGH France with my girl? (I've emailed the french embassy to find out but just wondering if anyone knows in the meantime as France is kind of a gateway country). Germany is where we would really like to go but apparently staffy's and crosses are banned. I have read though that the ban doesn't apply if it's for less than 4 weeks so that would be excellent (again I've emailed the German embassy but waiting on a reply).

So just to clarify, looking for European countries that we can holiday in with our staffy x or even travel through in a car if we can't stay there. Not really interested in countries where she would have to wear a muzzle but happy to carry one about with me if that's the law. I know my options are limited really and it may not be possible at all to do this holiday, just trying to find out in advance as we won't go if we can't take our girl.

Thanks for any help.

Picture for cuteness!

European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car) Leesie10
Buttons&Khaleesi
Buttons&Khaleesi
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Khaleesi
Dog(s) Ages : 16 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car) Empty Re: European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car)

Post by Mia05 Fri Jan 13 2017, 13:17

Hiya Im not very well travelled . A good idea would be to ask a travel agent as i reckon they would be the best person for any enquiries
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car) Empty Re: European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car)

Post by Guest Sat Jan 14 2017, 08:40

We go to France with our two staffie crosses. According to the info on the French embassy website:

Staffordshire bull terriers are not on the list of dangerous dogs in France. An answer to a Parliamentary question put to the Ministère de l’Intérieur (Home Office), published in the Official Journal dated 5 February 2001 (page 774), confirms the amendment to the list published in the decree of 27 April 1999, and excludes Staffordshire bull terriers from the said list.

We've been 3 times with both Chaos and Millie - Millie looks as dangerous as a sheet of paper but Chaos is a big dog - and no one including vets have said anything.

If you're not sure, how about travelling through (or even to!) Belgium? I lived in Brussels for years and it's a wonderful country. Sadly, I don't think you can go to Luxembourg Sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buttons&Khaleesi Sat Jan 14 2017, 23:19

Thanks for the info, that's interesting! It would be excellent if we would go to/through France. I know that staffy's are Fine in France but I was under the impression that they had to be pedigree with papers and any staffy crosses were banned. hmmmmm I'll have to look into it but if you've managed to fine 3 times then there looks like hope! :-)
Buttons&Khaleesi
Buttons&Khaleesi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Jan 15 2017, 09:02

Hi. I traveled with Debo to Poland quite a lot. Always by Eurotunnel, didn't want to leave him in a car when travel by ferry. He's a staffy without papers, so basically they could say a staffy cross. Have never been checked on the way to France, all the papers and the dog was checked on the way back to UK. We never stayed in France, it was just getaways. From what I know you're right about Germany but they have different laws in different regions, so would be good to check where you want to go. I no Spain is a no no. You're very welcome in Poland
jola139
jola139
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Buttons&Khaleesi Sun Jan 15 2017, 15:53

Oh so can travel via euro tunnel? That's awesome! :-). It seems like the French may be more lax on the rules that the internet makes out :-). I've always wanted to visit Poland! :-) is there any places you would recommend visiting with the dog? Cheers!
Buttons&Khaleesi
Buttons&Khaleesi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jola139 Sun Jan 15 2017, 17:32

We have never problems with Eurotunnel, just drive through the first check, where you scan your reference number, it will ask you I you travel with dog. Then you go to passport check. You don't leave the car at all.
Poland- depends what you want to do. We're very relax when it comes to taking dogs on holidays, not so much when you want to take it to the pubs and stuff. We always sit outside if going out for lunch and stufg
jola139
jola139

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Debo
Dog(s) Ages : 7,5 yeras
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15 2017, 19:10

We go with Eurotunnel too. It's really easy and good for the dogs as you stay in the car with them. They have great facilities - exercise areas and things. We do get them out of the car for the return journey check as it's nice for them to do something to break the journey, but even then they don't really even need to see your dog. They give you the scanner to read the chip number and they make sure it matches the passport, that you've done your vet check, that the vaccination is up to date, and that's it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haizum74 Thu Jan 26 2017, 20:06

This might be of some use too. At least it will give you an idea to start.

Linky here
Haizum74
Haizum74
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
European country's I can travel too with my staffy x (by car) Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Nita
Dog(s) Ages : 11 yrs old
Support total : 59

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDRAszQqSSjHtPqD97cmvQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26 2017, 20:18

That's wrong. It shows Staffordshire Bull Terriers as on the banned list in France, which they aren't according to the French Consulate website:

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Frequently-asked-questions,17660

So if it's wrong for France it's probably worth checking on any other specific country you might be interested in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haizum74 Sat Jan 28 2017, 15:48

LizP wrote:That's wrong. It shows Staffordshire Bull Terriers as on the banned list in France, which they aren't according to the French Consulate website:

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Frequently-asked-questions,17660

So if it's wrong for France it's probably worth checking on any other specific country you might be interested in.

It doesn't say the are banned but that there are restrictions. So a license and certificate as example. It's the title 'List of banned dogs by country' that probably confused matters.
Haizum74
Haizum74

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28 2017, 16:40

No, you don't need anything for staffies. This is the quote from the consulate website:

Staffordshire bull terriers are not on the list of dangerous dogs in France. An answer to a Parliamentary question put to the Ministère de l’Intérieur (Home Office), published in the Official Journal dated 5 February 2001 (page 774), confirms the amendment to the list published in the decree of 27 April 1999, and excludes Staffordshire bull terriers from the said list.

The Petlog site states that they are banned, so it's wrong I'm afraid! And if they did mean 'allowed under license' it's still wrong, and misleading.

Not having a go or anything, Ains, but it would be a shame for people to go by a list that's not right. Imagine if it was the other way round and provided false assurance? That's why I'll always try to get the facts from an appropriate authority that you can rely on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haizum74 Sat Jan 28 2017, 16:50

LizP wrote:No, you don't need anything for staffies. This is the quote from the consulate website:

The Petlog site states that they are banned, so it's wrong I'm afraid! And if they did mean 'allowed under license' it's still wrong, and misleading.

Not having a go or anything, Ains, but it would be a shame for people to go by a list that's not right. Imagine if it was the other way round and provided false assurance? That's why I'll always try to get the facts from an appropriate authority that you can rely on.

Ha, don't worry I know you're not having a go. However it also states this.

Dangerous dogs in France are classified in 2 categories :
- Category 1 : attack dogs - They are dogs whose appearance is of American Staffordshire terrier (pit-bulls), Mastiff (boerbulls) and Tosa types (i.e. without pedigree). It is prohibited to introduce these dogs into France.
- Category 2 : defence and guard dogs – They are dogs of American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, and Tosa breeds (i.e. with pedigree), and dogs of a Rottweiler type (without pedigree).
Since 1st January 2010, by virtue of legislation dated 20 June 2008 and published in the Journal Officiel of 21 June 2008 (Loi du 20 juin 2008 renforçant les mesures de prévention et de protection des personnes contre les chiens dangereux), all owners of dangerous dogs (category 1 and 2) in France must hold a certificate of aptitude for keeping a dangerous animal, delivered by an approved trainer, and a licence (permis de détention) for the animal, delivered by the town hall (mairie) of residence. Until modification of the law to allow for a temporary derogation for category 2 dogs being imported into France, it is advised not to introduce such animals into France, whether on a temporary (holidays) or permanent basis. Sanctions may be incurred for absence of licence.

My point being, while they are not american staffs, their appearance could be deemed as similar and we know how the law can easily take a dog just for looking like another dangerous dog. So while I agree that yes, it does state they are not 'banned', would it not be best to be safe than sorry and have some documents to hand?

Also France seemed to call them Staffordshire Terriers and even had incorrect pictures up of what one looked like before being corrected.
Haizum74
Haizum74

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 28 2017, 20:09

Anyone visiting France from here should have their dogs' passports, which gives the breed.

As for pictures of what the different dogs look like Rolling Eyes, don't get me started! Most people in this country wouldn't be able to tell the difference either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down