Sad story line in papers today.

4 posters

Go down

Sad story line in papers today. Empty Sad story line in papers today.

Post by BriggsX4 Fri Oct 14 2016, 09:05

Hi Everyone,
The tragic loss of life today and injury to another causes me such pain. My thoughts are with the family and friends and wish them comfort in the days, weeks ahead.

I love our dog Roxy (1.5 yrs old) it took me over 2 years before we got Roxy to come to terms with owning a "restricted dog" (Irish label) and I still have awful reservations about the restrictions on dogs. A recent survey by the Irish Vet Association have stated their should not be any labels of the breeds of dogs, and the danger they pose to society is based around the lifestyle/training and homing a dogs is accustomed too by humans.

Our dog is well socialized and goes to doggy day care regularly, she is loyal obedient and loving and gives us all the happiness associated with having a family pet. I don't see a bad bone in her body around humans, in fact sometimes she thinks she is one. On walks, runs with the balls, I rarely let her meet and greet other dogs, for fear the encounter could go bad, and then its our dog that is a fault. My hubby had her out last night on a run with the ball, and let a boxer come over to say hello, Roxy more focused on the ball, and the boxer "pi**ed her off", my husband was shocked to see how quickly our loving family pet could turn into something that we know the dog is capable of. No Dog was harmed but it gave Hubby a scare. I gave him hell about it, I explained the only way to keep Roxy safe is to avoid meetings with strange dogs as no one can tell the outcome and Roxy is the one who will suffer due to her breed and labeling.

How do you all over come the stigma the breed attracts and the reactions you encounter? I know it would be so easy to own a "handbag dog" but then it would never compare to Roxy and love she has for her family.

I always tell my daughter, there is no such thing as a bad dog - it is a bad owner and how a dog is trained to engage with people and other animals. Some of our daughters friends don't have pets, and get afraid of the dog so to ensure the kids can be kids and the Roxy is out of danger, we put a 5 ft fence at the side of the house, so the kids that don't want Roxy around can feel safe knowing that Roxy is behind the fence and not jumping up on them.

This way we as parents feel we are protecting the kids and allowing them be kids, and Roxy is safe and not unintentionally causing the kids fear or injury, trying to play or jump on them.
BriggsX4
BriggsX4
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : ROXY
Dog(s) Ages : Feb 2015
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Sad story line in papers today. Empty Re: Sad story line in papers today.

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2016, 10:07

You mean the Colchester story? That hit me hard as it's just up the A12 from me.

As always, I'll bet anything there is more to the story that just 'big bad bull breed' but the breed will get the blame. It proves again that BSL doesn't work, it didn't prevent this happening and won't prevent other dogs being kept by inept owners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Fri Oct 14 2016, 10:20

This makes me so sad but also angry. I truly don't believe a dog attacks for no reason. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Roxy and the boxer, I'm sure if it was a serious spat then there would have been marks. I do agree with you though sadly our breed will always get the blame.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Sad story line in papers today. B110
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Oct 14 2016, 11:34

I've just read the story on the BBC web site, such a horrific event that cannot be imagined, my thoughts are also with the family at this tragic time.

With regard to managing my Flo's appearance in public I keep a close eye out for potential conflict like you do Adel, however, we do inveriably meet lots of other dogs. We keep Flo distracted with her favourite toy as we know other dogs will bother her and she will tell them off. It's never more than a snap and showing teeth and a bit of noise and she has never gone for another dog.

To be honest I think that sometimes this is play but I don't take the chance and quickly resolve the situation through distraction which demonstrates control. I can't remember the last time someone said something negative about my Flo even when these rare mishaps happen.

If Flo has met and walked with another dog then she is absolutely fine, it's only ever strange dogs that cause a problem. Having said that, one of her walking buddies is a small handbag size dog and Flo doesn't exactly play with her but they amble around with each other fine but it f another dog bothers Flo's little buddy Flo will intervene and tell the strange dog off !!

It's a little different where you live and I think you are wise to take caution up to the next level, better to be safe than suffer heartache should things get out of hand with the law involved.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Sad story line in papers today. B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by 9austin Fri Oct 14 2016, 21:10

I agree with all above, our previous dog was a heinz 57 and we had no idea what she was. She looked like a bigger hairy mclary if anyone knows those books, scruffy, eyebrows, beard etc, but she had possession issues from young age. Fortunately, we had great advice and training, but I would still never leave her on her own with a child, especially if they were likely to pull her about. Even my own children were warned to be sensible and keep an eye on their friends.

Obviously, our thoughts are with the parents, no one wishes that on anyone, that sort of loss is unimaginable. But I do think owners of these breeds need extra advice and support, and I'm pretty sure any breed of dog not properly cared for, mistreated or under-trained and exercised is capable of bad behaviour. i'm not suggesting that this dog was mistreated or neglected at all, but any dog that is bored, anxious or stressed is likely to react to a baby screaming, being poked or pulled about, you just can't predict their behaviour.

9austin
9austin
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Herbie
Dog(s) Ages : 22 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down