Pesky Ticks

4 posters

Go down

Pesky Ticks  Empty Pesky Ticks

Post by ScoobiDoo18 Tue Sep 13 2016, 20:08

Hi everyone

For the first time in 6 years, Scoobi has decided to get himself a tick. I've managed to get it off, with no popping the tick, it only has a red bite mark which I've sprayed with Savlon, can anyone recommend a good tick repellant, as it seems he's got it from the local nature reserve (won't be walking there again), as opposide to the time he had been in the garden with he never had. Maisie doesn't have a tick, and she's usually the nutter who runs riot off the lead in grass in her mad moments, whereas Scoobi is on a lead at all times.
ScoobiDoo18
ScoobiDoo18
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Scoobi, Maisie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 & 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male & Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Pesky Ticks  Empty Re: Pesky Ticks

Post by -Ian- Tue Sep 13 2016, 20:44

I'm not sure any of the common treatments offer tick repellent Allie. The best advice I've been given in a tick ravaged area in the USA is to run your hands all over your dog and feel for them and remove carefully.

I would be happy if anyone has better advice and can offer an effective repellent though. Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Pesky Ticks  B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by rammykhan Wed Sep 14 2016, 08:23

I use seresto collars for my three dogs. We do have lots of ticks around here. It has been working great.

rammykhan
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2016, 08:50

We used NexGard Spectra when we were in France in June and it worked a treat. It's a palatable table (yes, the dogs do like it!) and it kills the tick the moment it bites. The place was teaming with ticks but after they'd had the NexGard we only ever found dead ones on them.

It's prescription only, though, and not cheap so for just the odd tick here and there it's probably not worth it. What I would recommend, though, is that you get a tick hook so that you can twist a tick off without leaving any parts behind

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Otom-Tick-Twister-Pack-2/dp/B0089BOK12/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473839306&sr=1-1&keywords=o+tom+tick+twister

Very simple and effective.

Back to top Go down

Post by TwoSocks Thu Sep 15 2016, 13:54

Una's had 10 this summer - horrible little things. We got very good using the tick hook but I was concerned at the frequency (we get a lot of deer on the walks we do) and we ended up using a seresto collar. Since she started wearing it we've not had one tick. With Una's three times a week showers we know it won't last as long as usual but at least she's had a break from them for this season at least.
TwoSocks
TwoSocks
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Pesky Ticks  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Una
Dog(s) Ages : 02/05/2015
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 50

Back to top Go down