Female VS male

4 posters

Go down

Female VS male Empty Female VS male

Post by MariaKP Mon Sep 12 2016, 09:49

Hello everyone.

I don't know if anyone of you remember the sad story about my puppy Saga?
Well, she past away and now I'm going to get a new puppy to spend my life with.

The thing is, I only had a female staff and I have no idea if there is a difference between females and males.
The breeder allowed me to be the first person to choose a puppy from the next litter.
The pups came to the world friday and a male and a female were born. (dark - male. White/dark - female)

So my question is:
Is there a difference between the two genders? And what is the difference?
Is one of them more likely to bond? Is one of them more reserved? Is one of them easier to train? etc etc
Or is there absolutely no difference?

Hope you can help me help

Maria / Denmark

Female VS male Skyrmb13

Female VS male Skyrmb14

Female VS male Skyrmb15
MariaKP
MariaKP
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Saga
Dog(s) Ages : Under 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Female VS male Empty Re: Female VS male

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2016, 11:47

They are both so sweet!

I personally would choose regardless of gender. Staffies of both sexes are super affectionate, fairly easy to train and loyal to their owners.

There's a saying that the puppy you see is the dog you will get. They might be a little young now but in the coming weeks you will see their personalities develop. Some are quieter, some more energetic. Some might be more independant while others can be clingy. You may find that one fits what you would like in your adult dog more than the other, but you might also find that you just click more with one than the other. Or, as with our first dog, you might find that one picks you.

I would ask the breeder when you need to decide by and ask if you can spend more time with them leading up to that point, and leave your decision till then unless it becomes clear beforehand which one is for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Mon Sep 12 2016, 12:12

i totally agree - be led by your instinct when you're with the pups.

there are obviously differences between the sexes, but i don't think any of them are crucial to making your choice - just see which one attracts you more, and perhaps most importantly, which one seems to bond with you!

gillybrent
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by MariaKP Mon Sep 12 2016, 12:34

I will always follow my feelings and choose the one I bond with.
But I still wanna hear peoples experiences and meaning about the differences between females and males.
MariaKP
MariaKP

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Saga
Dog(s) Ages : Under 1 year
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Mon Sep 12 2016, 18:02

I've always found my male to be more playful with toys, my female is more playful with dogs and other animals, my male isn't bothered about either he just want you to kick or throw a ball for him, my oldest girls is very affectionate towards people and animals as long you are touching her she will stay by your side all day., my middle girl, isn't interested in anything or anyone and is quite happy to stay by me and ignore the world, My youngest girl however follows my male everywhere including for the toy that has been thrown and she is in no way calm and or reserved, she's a nutter, my male like i said he's happy chewing a bone or toy in his crate even when i have visitors and just wants to play when outside....Of course it depends on how you bring them up but my male is more dominant than my all three of my females.

Amelie
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 12 2016, 20:43

I wouldn't generalise too much on personality traits being gender specific. Of our 3 at the moment, Nola's not much into toys at all, and Chaos and Millie are about equal in the obsession with all things spherical! But if anyone is the boss around here it's Nola.

The main gender differences are that males do tend to be bigger and possibly a bit thicker set, and so may be a bit more powerful. With staffies, though, both males and females are pretty chunky and strong! Entire males can be prone to wandering after the girls but of course if you have an entire female you need to consider how to keep her safe during her seasons.

Personality wise, though, I really wouldn't say that there are marked differences that you could say boys are x and girls are y.

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Tue Sep 13 2016, 09:49

I was brought up to believe that intact boy dogs need to wee more because of marking their territory. No idea if it's true or not but my experience of male dogs is "i must stop and mark all of the things".

That and being a bit bigger is the only thing I've noticed.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Amelie Tue Sep 13 2016, 10:56

Goblin wrote:I was brought up to believe that intact boy dogs need to wee more because of marking their territory. No idea if it's true or not but my experience of male dogs is "i must stop and mark all of the things".

That and being a bit bigger is the only thing I've noticed.

Think that is more dominance, my mums small terrier bitch marks her territory every few yards, my males doesn't do it much if at all.

Amelie

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 13 2016, 12:38

Agh! The dreaded 'D' word! I don't see dogs' behaviours through the eyes of 'dominance' - there are so many other reasons for them. As a general rule, males do mark more regardless of their temperament as their instinct is to claim a territory, but some females will also do it to a greater or lesser extent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Tue Sep 13 2016, 12:48

My Grandma's intact male dog was very dog-aggressive (always on lead around other dogs) and marked a LOT. We found out he had 3 testicles.
I don't think dominant is a particularly useful word, it's too subjective for any real classification of behaviours.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content