What's good for my 5 month old puppy?

+3
-Ian-
AussieStaff
Laurwhite-18
7 posters

Go down

What's good for my 5 month old puppy? Empty What's good for my 5 month old puppy?

Post by Laurwhite-18 Thu Mar 31 2016, 17:10

Wondering if there's anything that's good to give my puppy to keep him healthy such as garlic capsules etc. And how often?

Laurwhite-18
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

What's good for my 5 month old puppy? Empty Re: What's good for my 5 month old puppy?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31 2016, 17:31

I personally wouldn't feed garlic on a regular basis as there is some evidence that it can disrupt gut flora. As long as he has a healthy diet, is a good weight and gets plenty of exercise, you should be fine unless there is a particular issue that you/your vet feel needs something more.

Back to top Go down

What's good for my 5 month old puppy? Empty Re: What's good for my 5 month old puppy?

Post by AussieStaff Thu Mar 31 2016, 18:04

Unless theres a problem just good quality food & exercise! Big Grin
AussieStaff
AussieStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Global Mod

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Koda
Dog(s) Ages : 15/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 450

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurwhite-18 Thu Mar 31 2016, 18:19

No he's perfectly healthy just wondering if there was anything which would be beneficial to him. He has a glossy coat but been having a bit of dandruff but I bathed him recently so wondered if that was what caused it. Thanks Big Grin

Laurwhite-18

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31 2016, 18:56

What food is he on?

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurwhite-18 Thu Mar 31 2016, 19:49

Skinners puppy lamb and rice

Laurwhite-18

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31 2016, 20:05

That might be the cause of your flaky skin problem. Skinner's is fairly poor quality food. Others will be able to give you recommendations for dry food (I feed raw so I'm not great on prepared foods), but the rule of thumb is to get the best quality you can afford. The cheaper brands are padded out with potato, rice and all sorts of rubbish that you wouldn't feed your dog if it wasn't hidden in kibble.

This site has a lot of great information on feed and also has analyses and reviews of different brands

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurwhite-18 Thu Mar 31 2016, 20:15

Ahhh right Sad I was advised skinners was a good food as its hypoallergenic and when I searched the Internet for things that should be avoided in their food there were none of the ingredients listed, so now I feel bad if I've been feeding my pooch crap. He used to be on Royal canin but he's been on skinners since about 8 weeks and had perfect skin up untill I bathed him last week. So I think it's the shampoo

Laurwhite-18

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Mar 31 2016, 20:28

It may not be the food, however, that's usually the cause. Washing can strip out essential fur oils so perhaps let things settle for a few weeks and see if it clears up.

My Flo has hypoallergenic food, we use Jameswellbeloved Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

What's good for my 5 month old puppy? B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Laurwhite-18 Thu Mar 31 2016, 20:32

He's 5 months nearly 6 and been on it since 2 months and never had a problem with his skin that's why I didn't think it was the food and it's only since he got really muddy and I had to bath him lol. I was told skinners was similar to James well beloved but I might have to look at that. Thanks very much Smile

Laurwhite-18

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31 2016, 20:42

Hey, don't feel bad! You've only done what you believed was the right thing. There are many dogs who seem to do ok on Skinners but in your place I'd be changing. It could well be the shampoo (dogs should be bathed as little as possible because it does mess with their natural oils), but it could also be the food leading to his skin not being able to bounce back afterwards. Or it could have affected his skin but in a way that you didn't notice before, sometimes things don't show straight away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietmind Fri Apr 01 2016, 13:13

Luna is also 5 months old and dandruff appeared after her first bath. It went away after a week or so.

At this age it is recommended to give her vitamins and calcium. I give her one tablet of K9 per day which contains calcium, vitamin E and others.
Quietmind
Quietmind

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Luna
Dog(s) Ages : 3 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 01 2016, 17:06

I'm afraid I disagree, Quietmind. A good quality dog food should have everything your dog needs without supplements. They are formulated specifically for that. Adding supplements to a good quality complete food is a waste of money and will not benefit your dog. A body needs a certain amount of everything, and no more.

The main people who recommend supplements are supplement manufacturers. Guess why.

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietmind Sat Apr 02 2016, 15:09

I agree Liz. but i'm not talking about spending a lot of money on all kinds of supplements. This is just something extra which can be used as rewards. In my opinion is just like giving kids vitamins or even just like we would take some vitamins no matter how good our food is.
Quietmind
Quietmind

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2016, 15:41

Ah... but then I don't agree with us taking vitamin supplements either, unless you have a deficiency. Wink I think they are over used and to a large extent a bit of a con. They can even lead to medical problems if you take too much of certain things. Even if they are not expensive, I wouldn't buy them. I'd much rather reward my dogs with something that is generally good for them as well as tasty (mine love dried fish for example), rather than a manufactured supplement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sat Apr 02 2016, 17:34

Most human processed food has some suppliments added in anyway, so it's not really worth it unless you're deficient.

I'v got some frozen whitebait, liver bits and chicken hearts that Gizmo absolutely loves. Sardines and Mackeral are also serious favourites.
Goblin
Goblin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Angieeee Sat Apr 02 2016, 18:44

Ruby absolutely loves sardines in sunflower oil. She has that every Saturday as a treat.
Angieeee
Angieeee
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : 19 December 2014
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 02 2016, 20:15

Goblin wrote:Most human processed food has some suppliments added in anyway, so it's not really worth it unless you're deficient.

Yuck. I'll stick to real food for all of us. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietmind Sun Apr 03 2016, 02:25

While we are on the food subject any opinions about Hill's? Haven't seen it mentioned on the forum.
Quietmind
Quietmind

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Sun Apr 03 2016, 07:40

personally i don't like Hills. it's not particularly good quality & is vastly overpriced

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/hills-science-diet-dog-food-adult-dry/.

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down