Help!! The oven is on!!

3 posters

Go down

Help!! The oven is on!! Empty Help!! The oven is on!!

Post by jessnmacy Sat Jul 02 2011, 10:24

Morning!
Ok its quite a long one this so please bear with me!
my staff is 5yrs old so she is no spring chicken!
We have a electric built in oven and a gas hob in our kitchen and AS SOON as i switch them on macy goes into a panic,she tries jumping out windows which are closed! she hides behind the sofa and pants like she is overheating. She just turns within a couple of mins that the oven is switched on.
Very occasionally the hob will click and she just stands in the hallway and shakes!
Any IDEAS??
thanks for reading
Jess
jessnmacy
jessnmacy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help!! The oven is on!! Empty Re: Help!! The oven is on!!

Post by Guest Sat Jul 02 2011, 12:20

I think having her on a lead and help her face it and not run away would really help, tie the lead around your waist even so you still have your hands to do your work, stay really calm yourself, don't pay her any attention or pamper her at all, because all you will be doing is encouraging the behaviour.
If she fights the lead just give a little correction, its for her own good to know that there is nothing to be afriad of and she is being silly.If she is pulling away while your standing by the cooker just wait until she has finished fighting you and the technique and she should want slake on the lead her self and she should walk towards you closer to the area and thats when you praise her. Don't drag her over then praise her allow her to do it on her own. Its not going to be a quick fix when it comes to fears, while your doing it just be calm and think about how silly she is being and have the attitude oh whatever there is nothing to be scared of and she will pick up on your energy and adventually she will get there.

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Mon Jul 04 2011, 16:05

Has she ever been burnt by it?
Or by food from it?
Or is it simpley the noise it makes?

But anyway the advise above is along the same lines of what I would try. Often food or treats as a reward are a good idea too, showing that actually its not so bad.

But becarful you dont train her to like it to much though, last thing you want is your dog under your feet while your cooking in the kitchen (Accident waiting to happen). We train molly to just lye in her bed when we are in the kitchen cooking as we dont want her under our feet looking for anything dropped.

johneva
johneva
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04 2011, 16:21

When we got our new microwave oven it beeped differently to our old one.. to start with my old staffy Jethro freaked out.. the same as your staffy is. He puffed and panted and ran to the back door.. I just ignored him ( though it was hard to do ! ) and now he couldn't care less... He still freaks out though when our smoke detector battery goes flat and gives out a beep ! He has always hated any funny noises like that.. so much for a big tough staffy ! Laughing
Always reward the good behaviour.. and ignore the bad !

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Wed Jul 06 2011, 12:54

MissRogue wrote:I think having her on a lead and help her face it and not run away would really help, tie the lead around your waist even so you still have your hands to do your work, stay really calm yourself, don't pay her any attention or pamper her at all, because all you will be doing is encouraging the behaviour.
If she fights the lead just give a little correction, its for her own good to know that there is nothing to be afriad of and she is being silly.If she is pulling away while your standing by the cooker just wait until she has finished fighting you and the technique and she should want slake on the lead her self and she should walk towards you closer to the area and thats when you praise her. Don't drag her over then praise her allow her to do it on her own. Its not going to be a quick fix when it comes to fears, while your doing it just be calm and think about how silly she is being and have the attitude oh whatever there is nothing to be scared of and she will pick up on your energy and adventually she will get there.

I agree with this, great advise
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 13:09

vanessa wrote:

When we got our new microwave oven it beeped differently to our old one.. to start with my old staffy Jethro freaked out.. the same as your staffy is. He puffed and panted and ran to the back door.. I just ignored him ( though it was hard to do ! ) and now he couldn't care less... He still freaks out though when our smoke detector battery goes flat and gives out a beep ! He has always hated any funny noises like that.. so much for a big tough staffy ! Laughing
Always reward the good behaviour.. and ignore the bad !

This is how I dealt with the Suki and the vaccum fear. She could run up or go away as she wanted. I ran the vaccum twice a day and would sometimes just turn it on and leave it running in the corner. She is still having issues but not nearly as bad as before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 06 2011, 13:52

this might help - personally I think Cesar Milan = genius!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUZUNzi3-3E

Back to top Go down

Post by jessnmacy Sat Jul 23 2011, 12:27

Thanks guys i will give these ideas a shot as she is driving me crazy with her panting noises!!
jessnmacy
jessnmacy

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23 2011, 12:58

if all else fails a few drops of rescue remedy on her tongue might help !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down