Help with learning pup to walk on lead

3 posters

Go down

Help with learning pup to walk on lead Empty Help with learning pup to walk on lead

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Wed Oct 06 2010, 14:52

Hello everyone,

Max is now approching 16 wks of age and im trying to get him to walk on lead but the moment i put lead on him its like a mental block, he just shuts downs looks all sad and lowers his head and just plonks his little backside down on floor and doesnt move a muscle. I have tried treats, praise and giving him a gentle pull on lead but nothing seems to be working. Before anyone starts with i should of tried sooner i didnt get him till he was 14 wks old came across him late due to the fact i was getting a different pup from another litter but i wasnt satisfied with the info the breeder was telling me and he tried to raise the price we had already agreed.

Anyone with any tips or help for me please respond to this post.

Thanks

Steven Help with learning pup to walk on lead 537728
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

http://maxriastaffords.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Help with learning pup to walk on lead Empty Re: Help with learning pup to walk on lead

Post by janey Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:01

Mmmm not heard of this one, mine will go and get the lead and walk herself if she had the chance! Obviously the first thing I would recommend is treats but you've tried that, I wonder why he has such an aversion to his lead, he needs to realise that when the lead is on he has something to look forward too and something fun, but as you can't get him out the door then thats not going to work! Maybe try coaxing him with his favourite toy, and try getting excited before you go. Not much help really will put my thinking cap on!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Help with learning pup to walk on lead Empty Re: Help with learning pup to walk on lead

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:02

when you walk your dog, you should hold the lead firmly in your right hand, the dog should walk on your left side so you have the lead crossing your body. this enables you to have control over your dog. let your dog lead you for the first few moments so that he fully understands that freedom can be his if hes goes about it properly. he already knows that when he wants to go outdoors the lead and collar are necessary, so he has respect for the lead. now, if he starts to pull in one direction while walking. all you do is stop walking. he will walk a few step's and then find that he cant walk any further. he will then turn and look into your face. this is the crucial point, just stand there fora moment and look right back at him. now walk another 10 feet and stop again. again your dog will probably walk to the end of the lead, find he cant go any further , and turn around and look again, if he starts to pull and jerk just stand there. after he calms down, bend down and comfort him, as he may be frightened. keep up this training until he learns not to out walk you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:09

Thanks for the replies but like I have said he just shuts down if he pull to go backwards i walk that way with him but then he will stop dead again and try to go the other way never mind 10 feet i get to do 1 step I will try get a video of him so you will understand me more he doesnt even try to pull on it im finding this baffling as with my previous pups/dogs they walked fine I think he has never seen a lead before in his life he is used to the collar now he will leave that on no problem just this damn lead issue if I manange to get a video up I will post it here in this forum.
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:09

if he wont go for a walk with you, you will have to coax him into walking, as Janey said, try some cottage cheese all dogs loves this as a treat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:11

you will just have to persevere, he will soon get to like the lead if he knows hes getting a treat for his troubles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:12

and plenty of praise

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:15

I agree Shane you really are going to have to persevere, are there any other dogs you could walk him with?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06 2010, 15:45

To start with you might just want to put his lead on & then carry on around the house a if nothing's happened.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06 2010, 16:06

firstly what no one else has mentioned how long has he had his coller on as you have to do it one step at a time, as it may all be to much for him to take at once, if he is getting coller and lead at the same time then when he uset to coller, then as caryll says let him walk round dragging the lead, then start holding the lead then take a few steps at a time, like shane said giving loads of praise every ten feet or so and he will soon get the hang.

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Wed Oct 06 2010, 20:31

Thank you to everyone that has replied.

He has had his collar on now for over a week and is fine with that I have been trying the lead for about 3 days now I have been letting him drag the lead around the house but it doesnt seem to be getting any better for him I will just crack on with him I have nearly gone through a box of treats trying this and im always giving him praise I will let everyone know how I get on with this issue once again thanks.
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Wed Oct 06 2010, 20:33

And I dont know anyone else around here who will walk a dog with me Help with learning pup to walk on lead 108201
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Oct 06 2010, 20:53

Grrr Staffs are so so stubborn!! Can't think what else to suggest! Have you tried walking round the garden and getting him to heel then try and pop the lead on?? Just trying anything now?!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Wed Oct 06 2010, 20:59

Lol Janey I have tried walking from room to room in house and tried walking around the garden to no success its like he frozen with fear but the second I take it off BANG I get my bouncy staff pup back! Help with learning pup to walk on lead 316620
I will just keep trying even had my kids running on ahead but that doesnt work also.
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 06 2010, 21:29

What sort of collar & lead does he have? Is the lead a heavy one? Does it make a noise (is there chain on it that jingles?)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Thu Oct 07 2010, 13:18

The collar is a little cheap thing no weight to it at all and he been wearing that for over a week now and is fine with it doesnt even try to get it off anymore and the lead doesnt have no chain or anything that makes a noise not sure what type of material it is but it isnt heavy at all very lightweight. He will be running around all happy and the second i put the lead on he bows his head down and just doesnt want move if i drop the lead he will take a step or two but then stop again i give him a lot of praise with every step he takes and also give him a treat but its like im banging my head against a wall nothing seems to be working. Help with learning pup to walk on lead 73836
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07 2010, 13:22

If i were u i would just keep at it and put the lead on him as often as poss for short periods. Just let the lead trail along after him in the house and get on with whatever your doing dont make to much of a fuss of him so not 2 make a 'big deal' of it. He will be fine just give him time and dont get stessed out he can sence it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Thu Oct 07 2010, 13:30

Yh i know he will sense it mate so when i feel me gettin stressed i just go into another room and let me kids/missus play with him i have been putting the lead on him and he just goes on his couch and chews it gonna just crack on i just hope this doesnt become a major issue.
It's like he is afraid of any and everything
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07 2010, 13:45

He will eventually learn its fun to be on a lead and go out for runs etc...its like u said urself though he's only 16 weeks old and uve only had him for 2 weeks. The poor little buggers got alot of settling in to do yet...dont worry he wont get to 3 and still be refusing 2 go out haha! I hope......x

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Thu Oct 07 2010, 13:52

Everything else with him is fine I will let you know how I get on with him in future gonna stay on this forum it is very friendly and every question I have asked I have had a answer within 30mins Help with learning pup to walk on lead 320901
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07 2010, 14:27

30 mins we will have to be faster ha ha

and as blaze666 says he wont get to three and still not walk on his lead they usally have it cracked by two and a half(only jokeing) it will just click with him when he good and ready and it should be sooner rather than later

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07 2010, 14:51

Max-Ste's-Dog wrote:Everything else with him is fine I will let you know how I get on with him in future gonna stay on this forum it is very friendly and every question I have asked I have had a answer within 30mins Help with learning pup to walk on lead 320901

That won't do at all, we'll get a reputation of being friendly......or even worse - helpful!!! Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Thu Oct 07 2010, 16:07

Help with learning pup to walk on lead 914371 at last few comments 2 and a half he better be walking on lead by then lol, and yes this forum is really friendly and helpful best one I have ever come across Help with learning pup to walk on lead 114426
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 07 2010, 20:32

Aw, now we're all gonna Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Stupid Staffy Wed Oct 27 2010, 07:03

Sorry to hijack but I have the opposite problem, Lucy loves walks but how can you 'control' her pace?
She walks fine put pulls like a locomotive, her strength at 16 weeks is astounding.
Stupid Staffy
Stupid Staffy
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27 2010, 08:45

Try, when you're walking her, suddenly turning & walking in the other direction. Don't give any warning, just turn. When she catches up praise her and say "good girl, heel". Do this EVERY time she pulls ahead, it'll take you ages to get anywhere, but she'll soon get so confused about which way you're going that she'll start to hang back a little.

If that doesn't work, try holding a treat in front of you, about waist high & see if she's interested. If she is, keep her looking by talking to her. Occasionally stop, get her to sit & as soon as she's calm give her the treat. Repeat as often as necessary!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27 2010, 09:19

At one stage with kuma a took her out with my m8's staffy and sat her on the grass, she lookd like dad lift me .. Laughing then as my ma8's staff walkd she still stood still a had to give her a drag for a few mins mibi 2 mins of pulling her and then BANG she actly startd walkin like she had done it from day 1 !! was funny how it just happind then she started acting wide to the older dogs Smile !!

Back to top Go down

Post by Max-Ste's-Dog Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:59

Help with learning pup to walk on lead 320901 Max is now walking on his lead with no problems at all he has been like this now for about 2-3 weeks! I can even let him off lead on park and he comes back to me everytime I call him!Help with learning pup to walk on lead 114426
Max-Ste's-Dog
Max-Ste's-Dog

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Oct 31 2010, 15:33

Good to hear, well done you and nice one Max =D>
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 15:33

Luki you kuma still thinks its a game to run away when calling her Laughing am going take a steak out next time that will defo have her back Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 16:35

ye when it clicks with them it clicks
well done thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 12 2010, 03:07

When he stops dead put a little tension on the lead with a nice calm energy when he takes a step (this may be after him throwing a fit maybe even screaming but its all show if your doing it right calm energy, your not hurting him so keep the tension) relax the lead and repeat this never get frustrated with him, practice in the garden so if you do feel your getting frustrated drop the lead (so your not connected to him when your anything but calm) and wait till your calm and do it over again he will soon get the message. It has always worked for me....when i first had Taz he was known as one of the those footballs on strings he was yanked around by the owners kids so when i had him he screamed bloody murder and he froze chewed the lead spun around done everything possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down