Ring Worm

Go down

Ring Worm Empty Ring Worm

Post by MarkZA Fri Jul 01 2011, 10:07

Hello

My Female Staffie recently came home from the vet with Spots on her back void of hair and lots of red spots on her stomach and chest. I wasn't sure what it was so washed her with some tick/flea shampoo and also treated the sores with cream but this didn't help. These same sores then started to appear on my male Staffie Jock so I took them both to the vet

The Vet could not with certainty say what it was but thought it to be Ring Worm. He took some scrapings and sent these off to the labs but this can take up to 3 weeks and so I am still awaiting those results. In the meantime though he gave me antibiotics as well as a dip to treat the dogs. I have been giving them their tablets every night with dinner and treating them with the dip. I also bought them an anti-fungal shampoo

What is concerning me is it has been 2 weeks now since I started treatment and it just seems to be getting worse, they are getting lots and lots of red spots on their stomachs and some areas just look like a big red area. Best way to describe it is almost raw or rash like

So now I am bit concerned as to what to do. Do I continue with the dip, shampoo and tablets and hope it gets better. Some sores have gone "Crusty" which I was told should happen

Is it a case of it needs to get worse before it gets better because these sores are now all over their body. The dip I am using I would expect to be thick like cream but instead it is very soapy, is that right?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks
Mark

MarkZA
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Ring Worm Empty Re: Ring Worm

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 10:14

It can take a few weeks, I'm afraid - This site may help explain.......

http://www.dogchatforum.com/ringworm-in-dogs.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkZA Fri Jul 01 2011, 10:25

Hi,

Thanks for the link, I had seen it before

What concerns me is that from the pics on the site the sores on my dogs back look like the sores on the sight but the lots of red sores on their stomach don't look like what I see on the site and what I have read is that sore don't really show up on the stomach.

The picture below was taken when I first noticed the sores. Since then the redness has got worse. I am bit worried that her skin might be getting irritated by all the dips and shampoo so I am going to reduce how often i put it on I think

Ring Worm 19062011341

MarkZA

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 10:37

I think that the fungus can show up anywhere on the dog, although the marks on her belly do look more like an allergy.

Is she scratching them at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 10:48

as caryll says them spots do look more like an alergy???
and the dip is more like a carbolick soap than a cream

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkZA Fri Jul 01 2011, 11:23

I will upload a more recent photo tonight of how its progressed. I feel to its more an allergy, we have recently moved into a new house with a big garden and lots of plants and I wonder if both dogs are not allergic to something in the yard

Although that said Jock was spot free until Chloe came home

Below is a pic of Chloe's back which looks more like what I expect Ring Worm to look like

Ring Worm 19062011344

MarkZA

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 11:30

It does look different. Could be that she has two problems, poor thing.

I'd try wiping her belly with cooled boiled water whenever she's been outside and see if that helps. If it does, then I'd say she has an allergy as well as ringworm.

I take it you haven't changed her food or washing powder?

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkZA Fri Jul 01 2011, 11:36

Hi

Not the food no. They having been eating Alpo Dog food for the last 5 years no problem. Its just recently since she came back from the vet that these problems started

Well I am using an anti-fungal shampoo now which is new but that is since the spots appeared so aren't the cause

MarkZA

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 11:42

No, I meant powder for washing her bedding etc? Sometimes that can cause allergic reactions.

If not, try the wiping down - if it's something outside it should lessen the reaction at least & then all you need to do is try to isolate whatever's causing it - easy hahahahah!

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkZA Fri Jul 01 2011, 11:45

Clearly you have not seen my back yard - its huge - my dogs send me post cards when they get to the end

Didn't think about the washing powder. Generally use Skip and Omo brands

Another thing that worries me about Chloe is her eyes are red and when I get home at night it looks like she has been crying with wet lines down her eyes

MarkZA

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01 2011, 11:48

It really does sound like an allergy. Have you tried an antihistamine? You can use Piriton - start with half a tablet & see how she goes. The tablets do have a drowsy effect though!

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkZA Fri Jul 01 2011, 14:41

I hope it isn't mange, been reading up on mange and I can't be certain if it is or isnt

The vet did take a scraping and examine it under a microscope and said it wasn't mange so hopefully he is right

MarkZA

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down