Help and advice

3 posters

Go down

Help and advice Empty Help and advice

Post by sammyandross Tue Sep 08 2015, 11:12

Morning all,
                After a little help regarding Izzys raw food, if anything else additional to what we are doing may be beneficial etc.

She is a year old and a big strong girl, I take her jogging 3-5 times a week and we do 2-4 miles each time at a good reasonable pace, she is off the lead going back and forth so probably covers a lot more distance than me lol, as you can see she is very fit and has good muscle build etc

Help and advice 60876F67-AF96-4957-9C9C-6B55E0CB635D_zpsssy33jzn

At the moment she gets biscuit/kibble in the morning, then in the evening she gets chicken mince with either cooked rice or potato and/or vegetables.

The chicken we use at the moment is the "natures:menu freeflow minced chicken" but we have been looking online to maybe order more at a time and save a little also, we have been looking at landywoods.co.uk but they have a few different chicken minces I'm a little confused on what to get that is similar to what we are currently using to not introduce too much of a change.

Also they have a lot of different minces like heart, beef, offal etc, would any of these also suit the way we currently feed (mixed with cooked rice and veg etc) and what should I look out for when buying these

Thanks in advance for you time

Ross

sammyandross
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Help and advice Empty Re: Help and advice

Post by JStaff Tue Sep 08 2015, 14:42

Sounds like you have it. We feed free range chicken when Suki gets chicken. She mostly eats horse and veggies. The rice has very little nutritional value unless you are feeding brown rice. We do this as well. The other protein sources are fine but if you add them in do one at a time so her stomach doesn't get upset. Suki normally just gets horse, beef (very sparingly), and chicken as a protein source.

Also, be sure not to run her too much or do any overly strenous activity like backpacking or weight pulling until she is 18 months and her tendons and ligaments are strong enough to support the work. Running off lead is fine at her pace as long as she can stop and rest if she wants to. They tend to want to please and can overexert themselves and cause health issues later in life.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 12 2015, 20:31

I use Landywoods, they're very good.

You'll be fine with any of their chicken/turkey products, and I bet she'd love a turkey wing (they're huge!) or something. Any non-offal products would be fine for where you're at now as well, it's really puppies you have to be more careful with over introducing new protein sources.

They also do fish, the oily or white fish on its own or the 'surf and turf', which is salmon and trip. It stinks but they love it.

I'd go easy on the offal to start off with and see how she copes. Liver in particular is very rich and can give them the runs (very dark too). The beef and kidney mix is probably a good one to start with once you know she's coping with the non-offal ones.

Landywoods' site is amazing, there's more and more all the time and it's quite gruesome. Their quality is good, though. I used to use the freeflow stuff but it always looks fatty, and so finely ground you can't really know what's in it, whereas Landywoods looks like what it is (unfortunately!).

Once or twice they've been out of stock on something and not substituted, so do call them and make sure it's noted to substitute with something similar to make sure you get the right quantity.

Hope that helps!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun Sep 13 2015, 17:56

Hopefully u get on well Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Help and advice B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by sammyandross Tue Sep 22 2015, 11:12

Sorry been a bit busy recently, thanks for the great reply, I think I'll stick to chicken and turkey as like you say we know she's fine with it, gonna order some from there today so will update soon Smile

sammyandross

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down