Misbehaving staffy puppy!!

3 posters

Go down

Misbehaving staffy puppy!! Empty Misbehaving staffy puppy!!

Post by Kahlon Wed Aug 12 2015, 07:53

Recently our 6 month old staffy has been a little terror. When we first adopted him at 3 months he was a bit nippy however that behaviour was soon curbed. He has graduated from puppy obidience classes and is socialized with humans and all types of animals! Lately he has been misbehaving on walks and tries his very best to just bolt away. He has a huge yard to run around in and gets plenty of toys to run around with however we still like to walk him. He has also been very " protective " of certain things and will nip if the item is trying to be taken away from him. Any advice will be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Kahlon
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Misbehaving staffy puppy!! Empty Re: Misbehaving staffy puppy!!

Post by Rachel33 Wed Aug 12 2015, 08:34

Hello! All sounds very normal to me - testing the boundaries and creating his own outlets for his energy. How often is he walked? You're absolutely correct that he still needs his walks for socialization, stimulation and adequate exercise.

I would suggest a long line attached to a harness until you perfect his recall (you can get these on eBay). Also training a solid "leave" and make things being taken a positive thing by trading for a treat or another item.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmahammond25 Wed Aug 12 2015, 21:39

I had this problem when Marley was on a shorter lead, whenever he saw someone or something he would try to bolt off, this was when he was on a collar has Rachel has said a harness and long line works much better, they have the freedom to wounded but you can control it it's also less zig zaggy if you get me haha, as for the possessive I've always stroked Marley when he has a bone etc to let him know I'm not trying to take it from him, and he's always been great actually eats a bone whilst on my lap, I dunno if it's the right way to correct possessiveness but it's worked for me Smile
Emmahammond25
Emmahammond25
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 16/03/2015
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down