Shadows frightend of the thunder

4 posters

Go down

Shadows frightend of the thunder Empty Shadows frightend of the thunder

Post by moy24 Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:14

I live in east anglia in suffolk and it just started to thunder shadow is realy frightend his eyes wide open his tongue is out and he is just breathing very quickly with his tongue out as if he just had a run or something and he shakeing like crazy. im trying to calm him down iv got him with me and im talking to him and cuddleing up with him but he aint calming down and he cant stop rouning round the house trying to escape from the sound any1 has same problem il get him some tablet which meant help calm him down.
moy24
moy24
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : SHADOW
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Shadows frightend of the thunder Empty Re: Shadows frightend of the thunder

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:27

i cant help, its not happened to us yet, but googled it and got the below if it helps

•Many dogs will hide in a closet or under the bed, this works well as long as there is nothing harmful in the area or nothing the dog might destroy.

•Play white noise - turn on the radio between stations or play the TV on an off station. White noise works well to mask unwanted sounds.

•Never pet or baby your dog while it is afraid. This is very tempting to do but it will make the problem worse by reinforcing fear. When the dog is loved on while it is afraid it is being told that fear of the loud noise is good or that it should be afraid. It is better to ignore the dogs fear.

dont know if it works though

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:33

lynne wrote:i cant help, its not happened to us yet, but googled it and got the below if it helps

•Many dogs will hide in a closet or under the bed, this works well as long as there is nothing harmful in the area or nothing the dog might destroy.

•Play white noise - turn on the radio between stations or play the TV on an off station. White noise works well to mask unwanted sounds.

•Never pet or baby your dog while it is afraid. This is very tempting to do but it will make the problem worse by reinforcing fear. When the dog is loved on while it is afraid it is being told that fear of the loud noise is good or that it should be afraid. It is better to ignore the dogs fear.

dont know if it works though

i beta stop cuddleing him i didnt no your not meant to do that and just to ignore it thanks for that.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:36

like i said i have not used this myself, so not sure if it works, hopefully someone will be along shortly, who will have had the experience,
since we have had billy it has not thundered, he is at home at the moment with my OH and it has not thrundered yet but we could be trying these out later

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:39

yes if you cuddle and pet your dog when it is scared you are telling it it is okay to be scared.... it is the worst thing you can do ( though I know it is very hard not to!! )
put the radio on..either white noise or a radio station.. even put the washing machine on..all the noise from the machine can block out some of the sound of the thunder..
for next time you could try some human rescue remedy drops... put the drops straight on your dog's tongue...
invest in a thunder shirt.. I have one my old staffy.. he is petrified with thunder and gun shots.... and this shirt has helped him..... best to put it on before the storm hits, if you know one is coming...
Trust me I know how hard it is when you have a petrified dog....hopefully the storm has passed by now...

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:40

lynne wrote:like i said i have not used this myself, so not sure if it works, hopefully someone will be along shortly, who will have had the experience,
since we have had billy it has not thundered, he is at home at the moment with my OH and it has not thrundered yet but we could be trying these out later

Smile
thanks for ur advice though, if it does thunder where you are let me no how u get on.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:43

vanessa wrote:
yes if you cuddle and pet your dog when it is scared you are telling it it is okay to be scared.... it is the worst thing you can do ( though I know it is very hard not to!! )
put the radio on..either white noise or a radio station.. even put the washing machine on..all the noise from the machine can block out some of the sound of the thunder..
for next time you could try some human rescue remedy drops... put the drops straight on your dog's tongue...
invest in a thunder shirt.. I have one my old staffy.. he is petrified with thunder and gun shots.... and this shirt has helped him..... best to put it on before the storm hits, if you know one is coming...
Trust me I know how hard it is when you have a petrified dog....hopefully the storm has passed by now...
yes his ok now the thunder has stoped and looks like suns comeing bk out.il get a thunder shirt when i get payed from now i wont pet him or anything thanks.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:43

will do, at least i will knwo what to do

good luck with shadow

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:46

I got some mild tranquilizers from my vets ( xanax ) and sometimes if Jethro is really freaking out I just give him one.. it relaxes him and calms him and he normally goes in his bed and sleeps.. yes I know it is cheating, and drugging your dog isn't the best thing, but I reckon sometimes you just have no choice! Your dog wakes up and the storm is over... plus I have peace of mind knowing that Jethro won't hurt himself going bonkers and trying to run away to no where! But really it is a last resort !

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:46

The thunder stoped now so his ok u can tell his abit on edge sun has come out now im gona check the web to see what i should do and shouldnt when it happens again.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:47

glad the storm is over ! I can't blame Jethro when he gets scared during storms.. because even I get scared !!

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:48

vanessa wrote:
I got some mild tranquilizers from my vets ( xanax ) and sometimes if Jethro is really freaking out I just give him one.. it relaxes him and calms him and he normally goes in his bed and sleeps.. yes I know it is cheating, and drugging your dog isn't the best thing, but I reckon sometimes you just have no choice! Your dog wakes up and the storm is over... plus I have peace of mind knowing that Jethro won't hurt himself going bonkers and trying to run away to no where! But really it is a last resort !
Shadow aint that bad so i will give that a miss if he one day gets realy bad im sure il find another way to get him to calm down.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:52

yeah that's fine... I only give one to Jethro once in a blue moon.. certainly wouldn't do it on a regular basis! I think the thunder shirt would be your best bet... if you google thundershirts you can read all about them....

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Tue Jun 28 2011, 15:55

vanessa wrote:

yeah that's fine... I only give one to Jethro once in a blue moon.. certainly wouldn't do it on a regular basis! I think the thunder shirt would be your best bet... if you google thundershirts you can read all about them....
i have checked the thundershirt it sounds like that should do the job i will be getting one i think and see how it goes next time theres a thunder
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Tue Jun 28 2011, 16:19

Make him think that its nothing, encourage him to play with you, try a little training. Cuddling him will just make him think theres something to be scared of. These DAP diffusers are good for nervous or anxiousness too -

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~dog-appeasing-pheromone-dap-diffuser/~product_id=289?gclid=CIjymoLz2KkCFQEd4QodPALEMQ

Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 16:22

moy24 wrote:I live in east anglia in suffolk and it just started to thunder shadow is realy frightend his eyes wide open his tongue is out and he is just breathing very quickly with his tongue out as if he just had a run or something and he shakeing like crazy. im trying to calm him down iv got him with me and im talking to him and cuddleing up with him but he aint calming down and he cant stop rouning round the house trying to escape from the sound any1 has same problem il get him some tablet which meant help calm him down.

We're not far from u (kings lynn) and ive got the same problem today with Mazda she's been like it from a pup and is now 10!! she pee's constant too.
Ive (over the years) found putting her in her cage with a sheet over the top, radio (like Lynne said) on fairly loud and ignore her she calms down, dont get me wrong it can take upto 30mins but she does calm.
As for the tablets ive tried them all from the pet shop and can honestly say waste of money (the only time I knew them to work was on my nans old dog and turned out she'd gave her 3tabs too many the dog was so drugged it didnt notice a thing!! I dont want to s nans!!) but I do get ones from the vet for fireworks time and they are great she still goes in the cage and is aware of the noise but is a thousand times better.
Hope this helps
Zero on the other hand is looking at me with his normal "dohhh" look Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 16:22

yes they are good ( the dap diffuser ).. can't believe I forgot to mention them ! Trust me I have used everything on Jethro over the years!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 17:24

I seriously feel for you all group hug
My older darling girl was born in cyclone season in Cairns in far north Queensland as has always had the most amazing ability to have no response to thunder & lightening for which I'm eternally grateful.
Izzy, however is another story, so I downplay every loud noise by not even acknowledging it and ignore her wimps etc. Fingers X'd as so far so good
Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 17:30

Poor Shadow >Big Grin< as others have said,try not to cudle him or fuss him too much,tv or radio on.Act nice and calm,carry on as you would normally do and try one of those plug in dap diffusers Nosipho mentioned thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Tue Jun 28 2011, 20:33

Polly was a star today, she was playing, throwing her ball and teddy about and shredding a football until she saw Skye shaking and unhappy. the thunder went on for over 2 hours and she totally ignored it as did Busta (aged6) our westie cross, but Skye (aged 8 ) our collie cross hates them, he usually goes under our bed but this time he got on the sofa with the other dogs and cuddled up against them, Polly got really worried about him and was nuzzling and licking him, in the end we put a blanket over him and the tv on and he gradually calmed down. By the time we took them out for a walk he was fine.
We have come back during storms in the past to find Skye has managed to get into kitchen cupboards and wardrobes in his panic Sad He used to go into his cage but now he cuddles into whoever is about 2 or 4 legged
Smile
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by moy24 Wed Jun 29 2011, 07:27

Thank you all for your advice i will try the diffuser too and i will stop petting him and cuddleing him too i just didnt relise it makes it worse and it hard to ignore him but i will as its best for him thanks u all.
moy24
moy24

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 08:29

when i got home last night i asked my oh how billy was with the thunder and lightening and he was a star, he was not scared just went about things as normal

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29 2011, 15:31

lynne wrote:when i got home last night i asked my oh how billy was with the thunder and lightening and he was a star, he was not scared just went about things as normal

Smile

good boy Billy ! Lynne I wish Jethro was like your Billy ! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rosie2011 Wed Jun 29 2011, 19:38

my friend has the same prob she bought a cd off the net with all diff sounds on and played it untill her little one got use to them and now she had no prob just a thought as it may help ,
my staff don't like the hoover but as we hoover twice a day (kids lol) he has now got use to it and it don't bother him no more x
rosie2011
rosie2011
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : buster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content