Just a rant about bus drivers

5 posters

Go down

Sleepy Just a rant about bus drivers

Post by Renny.B Sun Jul 12 2015, 19:28

I'm so frustrated by an incident the other day. it's playing on my mind a lot and talking to friends doesn't help since they don't own any staffies and don't have the same issues.

The other day I had to take Toby to the vet and after as a treat I bought him lots of bones and chew toys because he always does me proud at the vets. He had some unpleasant things done and sat good as gold the entire time, so those bones were well deserved! We're also fostering a mama Labrador at the moment and her 7 puppies so I got a lot of supplies for her too. You can imagine just how big the dog's bag of swag was then by the time I was leaving the store to get the bus home.

When the bus pulled up this douchebag of a bus driver (the arrogant kind with mirrored sunglasses on a dull day) told me I couldn't bring Toby on the bus because he wasn't putting the other passangers at risk. I have mental health problems, I was tired and needed to get home and I pleaded with the driver that I just wanted to get home and to let me sit in the back where he was well away from any other passengers. The bus driver kept refusing saying the dog was dangerous and if i contacted the bus company then I'd see that only small dogs are allowed on the buses. I have contacted the bus company before and retorted that that wasn't true. I told him that the dog wasn't any more dangerous than any other dog (he interrupted to tell me I was wrong) I reiterated that he wasn't dangerous and it came down to the owner and by saying no he was telling me I was incapable of looking after my dog who was sitting patiently waiting to get on. the driver just chuffed and said no comment he wasn't getting on the bus. The driver couldn't give a comment because it was true! If it was an almost 30-year-old-aged professional man getting on the bus I can bet it wouldn't have happened. When I gave up and walked away from the bus an elderly lady stopped me to ask what happened and agreed the driver was ridiculous, giving Toby a pet on the head.

I found the entire affair to be very triggering and was standing at the bus stop exhausted and trying my best not to cry and to push down the anxiety attack that was forming. A few minutes later another bus came along and I could see the drivers eyes looking everywhere for the dog and once he saw the dog he stared straight ahead and just drove on. It was obvious the first driver radioed back and said there was a dangerous dog at the stop.

I lost it, I ended up having an anxiety attack and sat at the bus stop on a busy road in tears at how apathetic and cruelly judgmental the only public bus service in the area was. Thankfully I had enough spare cash to order a private taxi who took me home no bother and were extremely kind with me.

It's happened before with the bus drivers. We found out that they were radioing back on a different occasion when a driver ignored the previous drivers and let us on anyway. The driver who ignored the warnings chatted with us about how he got the same treatment over his Akita and he knew they were good dogs with the right owners and that Toby wasn't displaying any behaviour at all to give him any concern.

It's so frustrating having to deal with judgmental bus drivers who make my life such a misery. I don't drive because driving has always terrified me thanks to an accident I was in as a teenager. The buses are the only public transport that run all over the city so It's my only means of travel. I would understand if Toby was jumping everywhere and barking etc but I've worked hard to train him so that he's well behaved. The only issue he has at the minute is that he gets excited and puts his paws up on people to greet them but even that isn't happening as often as he recognizes that he could hurt children or elderly people if he does this.

He is such a loving creature and is so happy to see everyone and so eager to gain everyone's approval. It breaks my heart when people see him as a misguided headline instead of the big softy he is. We actually named him Toblerone but Toby for short because he's so sweet.

My abilities as a dog owner are constantly being called into question with Toby but the hardest part of raising and training a Staffy isn't the dog, it's dealing with the world around me that is turning such a wonderful positive influence in my depressed life, into something much harder than it should be.

I feel at my wits end with other people.

Renny.B
Renny.B
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Toby
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

http://http;//www.radlittledarlings.com

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Re: Just a rant about bus drivers

Post by -Ian- Sun Jul 12 2015, 19:41

That's a horrible position to be placed in. The Bus company and it's drivers should have a care of Duty before making judgments that are unwarranted. What a difference from the Taxi driver Smile

In my experience showing how Well trained my dog is turns peoples perception on their heads and that is really all you can do, let Toby be an ambassador for the breed as he has been doing Big Grin

As regards the Bus company, could you call them and explain what happened and maybe offer to meet a manager. If you could and it's a positive meeting it might well change things, here's hoping.
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Sun Jul 12 2015, 19:53

Grrrrrr! I would have lost it sorry to say, I know where yer coming from as have clinical depression myself! just rise above it and put it down to ignorance xx
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Mistys Mum Sun Jul 12 2015, 20:46

This has upset me so much. You did nothing wrong. The bus drivers should be held accountable. If their policy says they allow dogs then they are discriminating against you which they can't do. If I were you I would definitely contact the bus depot and complain and also check if there is a governing body like an ombudsmen and take it to them. Don't let idiots bring you down. You are blessed with the love of a wonderful dog, anyone who judges that love is a moron and don't let them have a negative impact on you. I'm always getting looks from people when I take my beautiful girl out, they see me and straight away assume that I'm a scumbag. I try to ignore it and hope that one day I'll meet these same people when I'm at work and then I'll have something to say. Stay positive, Toby sounds like a darling.
Mistys Mum
Mistys Mum

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 523

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Jul 13 2015, 13:33

This is unfortunately not an isolated incident and im sorry you had to suffer at the hands of 2 uneducated idiots. These drivers arent allowed to discriminate because of a dogs breed . They should face disciplinary action . I am as an owner thankful not everybody is as judgemental don't let this get you down hold your head up and show them your dog is decent Smile
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down