+5
peppa
Bane
-Ian-
Dogface
Santp76
9 posters

Go down

My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse Empty My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse

Post by Santp76 Tue Jun 02 2015, 19:03

Hi, I've been trying hard to do this whole ouch thing in a high pitched voice with my male staffy, it works one time out of ten, he has begun to get quite aggressive more noticably when he is tired, he almost fights sleep like a small child would do, I am worried for him, as 95% of the time he is really placid and nice, but he just has this tendency at that time, he also tends to just bite me and not my partner, any body have any ideas to help? As I don't want to give up on him yet Sad

Santp76
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse Empty Re: My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse

Post by Dogface Tue Jun 02 2015, 19:45

He's not aggressive, he's just playing and unaware of his boundaries. How old was he when he left his mother, and how many litter mates did he have? The key thing is consistency, use one method and stick to it. Personally I favour the method of saying 'no' or 'ouch' as soon as he starts to bite and then ignoring him for a short time. Others prefer to distract with a toy, which may well work as well or better. Do it every single time it happens and he'll get the message. At nine weeks or even nineteen weeks it's not reasonable to expect him to understand what's expected of him.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse Empty Re: My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse

Post by -Ian- Tue Jun 02 2015, 20:54

He is still very young as mentioned above and it isn't aggression he wants to play. Ignoring is good but make no eye contact whatsoever. Alternatively, replace the said body part with a toy and reinforce the idea that its ok to chew toys not humans but whatever method you choose make sure everyone does the same. Limbs and fingers look like great toys at that age.

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Jun 02 2015, 20:55

He is still so young you would have a miracle pup if he had already learnt not to bite.

Regarding the crazy behaviour when he is tired. We went through the same thing. Just pop him in his bed for a few minutes of time out. We always found that we'd come back and Bane would be fast asleep! It's like they just don't know when to stop at that age but he will learn.

With the biting, we used the same technique as Dogface: We would say no in a stern voice, not shouting and then just calmly move away from him. Leave the room, go off and do something else and when he is calm, you can return to try to play again. They hate to be ignored so he should catch on quick Smile

At only 9 weeks, many people would only just be getting their pups and beginning the training process so don't give up before many have even started!
Bane
Bane
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by peppa Tue Jun 02 2015, 21:15

Santp76 wrote: I don't want to give up on him yet Sad
Hi there. Surely you don't mean it? You must have had him for a week at most. All is very normal to that age . The two techniques are good as long as you are consistent I used the Loud NO + time out if needed cause i believe that creating boundaries from the beginning is good idea but it takes time as they are complete babies at that age so theres no aggression you need to teach them good manners
peppa
peppa

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : peppa
Dog(s) Ages : 28/10/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Jun 02 2015, 23:10

Here is a link that will help

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/stop_your_staffy_puppy_biting
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by rico24 Wed Jun 03 2015, 10:05

Iv had amazing help from everyone here witth my single pup in the litter who can be a holy terror lol! Its hard but dont give up everyone here is really helpful and the more you show the dog where his boundries are the more improvement youl see. Its just my mum and i in the house now and at first my mum got nipped alllll the time never me and it was a nightmare but i was trainin and trainin with her whereas my mum was more just cuddling her and half heartedly dealing with it, she did go through a phase of tryin her luck with me and nipping but its all excited and playful and it may look viscious,mine makes the most shocking growling noises while playing and having her cheeky moments but its not meant as badness.
Theres various things we tried as suggested here as the make a high pitched noise seemed to egg her on a bit. We had behaviourists come and things like a 30 second time out in maybe the hall (somewhere with nothing they can play with) were suggested. You will get there and i had the worrying moments of my mum sayin we cant keep her but thats over 2 years weve had her now, and my mum loves her even though shes hard work.
Try whats suggested by all here as its what helps us through in the moments of testing us.
rico24
rico24
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan and Holly Wed Jun 03 2015, 14:32

How old was he when you got him? I got Holly at 9 weeks old and Stanley at about 15 weeks old. Their 1st inoculations at 8 weeks and again at 12 weeks, then a week before they can go outside. It sounds like you've got your dog earlier.
Stan and Holly
Stan and Holly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
My 9 week staff is not learning to stop biting and it's getting worse Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Years 4/6/10
Support total : 52

https://2img.net/i/fa/pbucket.gif

Back to top Go down

Post by Santp76 Wed Jun 03 2015, 16:14

Hi everybody thanks so much for your help. When I got him they told us he was 8 weeks old, however when he was then taken to the vet the next day she said he was no more than six weeks, so I gave her the information as to where we got him from and they are dealing with it. Peppa I've had him 3.5 weeks now. We are going to a puppy party tomorrow, he can attend as he has had the first injection Smile I will be speaking to my vet and also the girls who work there as they are very knowledgeable, I've had staffy's before and don't recall this amount of biting! I'm trying the no technique and the time out, and leaving him to rest for 30 seconds, I am also going to look at covering half the crate( he won't use) to see if this helps him have his own space Smile thanks Smile

Santp76

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Wed Jun 03 2015, 20:59

We got Bane at about 6 weeks too when we were told he was 8 weeks! Poor little guy had already been taken away from his mum a week or so before hand! It takes a little more time to train them but the bonus is you've had him for longer and therefore have had more time to start training him Smile

I'm sure he will come to love his crate! He's probably just not sure as to what it is. Bane was scared of his to start with and wouldn't even put his head in it. Entice him in with some treats and maybe a snuggy teddy Smile If it's big enough, stick your head in and have a little cuddle with him in there!
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by smudge95 Tue Jun 23 2015, 11:54

Buddy is the same he is 14 weeks and when he is tired he is a little devil- nipping - humping -digging up plants - we just keep an eye on him and as soon as he starts being naughty if he doesn't respond to the firm no or leave - then off to the crate we go in he goes I tell him sleepies cover the crate and within 5 mins he is snoring - after about 20 mins he comes out a different pup - you will find at his young age he will want to sleep every couple of hours- just watch for the change in behaviour - just make sure he knows you putting him to bed for sleep and not because he is naughty - if I just need buddy contained I put him in the crate and don't cover it that way he can see what I am doing and knows he doesn't have to sleep if he doesn't want to- this is mainly hoover time as he attacks it and swings from the pipe!!!
smudge95
smudge95

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buddy
Dog(s) Ages : 20.02.2015
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down