weighted back pack for dogs

2 posters

Go down

weighted back pack for dogs Empty weighted back pack for dogs

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27 2011, 07:46

I was wondering if anyone uses a weighted pack for their Staffy? I don't have any intentions of working up to pulling contests I simply want a faster way to tire her out for the days we just don't have 2 or 3 hours to walk and play with her, espically since it is rainy season here. If anyone is using one could you recommend a specific type?

How much weight is typically used as most of the products I see are around 4-8 pounds. I realize that I should start off with just a little weight and slowly and steadily work up. Finally, at what age is it safe to start doing this? I know she is still devolping until she is 18-24 months and I don't want to cause any long term strucral damage that would compound the medical conditions the breed already faces.

Back to top Go down

weighted back pack for dogs Empty Re: weighted back pack for dogs

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27 2011, 08:54

I will be interested to read the answers too about this... reckon Winston might need one.. he just has so much energy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27 2011, 09:19

MissRogue might be on here later, I know she uses one with Taz. Regards the weights; I think you start off with a light weight & gradually build it up, but I'ver never used one myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27 2011, 09:29

I plan on starting off overly cautious with a similar progression a trainer would have a teenager employ. I am concerned that it could potentially cause her devolpmental health issues and don't know anyone with experience in this area so I could learn from them.

I live in a small apartment so on days it is raining it's hard to get her exercise in which makes Suki stress out. I would love to have a motorbike tire for her to tug but I don't have a tree to hang it from.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Mon Jun 27 2011, 12:29

Vanessa - I would be careful with putting one on Winston when he is so young, extra weight and strain on the joints isn't great at his age. I would wait till hes 10 - 12 months old
Nosipho
Nosipho
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johneva Mon Jun 27 2011, 12:45

Defo wait till over 12 months old for a start.

This is the same one we use for molly sometimes.
http://www.4activedogs.co.uk/dog-backpack-options-dogs-on-the-go---travel-pack-1131-p.asp

We started off with nothing in at all just for her to get used to it first.

Normally dont put much in just drinks or mobile phones, treats, tennis balls, whatever we might have while we are out really.

Normally have a backpack for us to keep most stuff in, we only add things to hers to make her feel like she is helping lol and find it helps calm her down seems happy just walking by our side more when we use it, also as you say makes them tired a little quicker too.
johneva
johneva

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Molly, Duke
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 : 1 1/2
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male
Support total : 36

http://www.lease-hire.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27 2011, 13:19

johneva wrote:Defo wait till over 12 months old for a start.

This is the same one we use for molly sometimes.
http://www.4activedogs.co.uk/dog-backpack-options-dogs-on-the-go---travel-pack-1131-p.asp

We started off with nothing in at all just for her to get used to it first.

Normally dont put much in just drinks or mobile phones, treats, tennis balls, whatever we might have while we are out really.

Normally have a backpack for us to keep most stuff in, we only add things to hers to make her feel like she is helping lol and find it helps calm her down seems happy just walking by our side more when we use it, also as you say makes them tired a little quicker too.

Good advice. I think I will start Suki off with just the vest so she can get used to it and then very gradually add small objects. This should tire her out easier and not impede her devolpment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28 2011, 11:11

Nosipho wrote:Vanessa - I would be careful with putting one on Winston when he is so young, extra weight and strain on the joints isn't great at his age. I would wait till hes 10 - 12 months old

oops yeah.. I should have clarified that.. I wouldn't use one on him till he was alot older.. don't worry ! I thought maybe down the track when we go walking up in the hills he could wear a little back pack and carry his own little bottle of water and bowl ! Thanks for your concern X

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down