Should I be worried and what to do

4 posters

Go down

Should I be worried and what to do Empty Should I be worried and what to do

Post by Busterr Thu Apr 16 2015, 08:34

Well, Buster is very well behaved around other dogs, never tried to bite even while playing or played ''rough'' but he tends to run towards other dogs to fast which you can tell kinda scares the other dogs, this is how it goes Buster runs to a dog, you can see the other dog stopping what hes doing looking at Buster and the other dogs tail goes down, Buster gets closer and slows down (only when he's right next to them) he then stops and sniffs etc and the other dog is fine and they play, but he is to ''in their face'' until he has had his sniff.

I've tried putting him on the lead and letting him see other dogs that way but doesn't help his excitement when he sees other dogs, I'm thinking maybe it's because he's a puppy and just wants to play with everyone and everything but still kinda worries me although I know he would never bite.

Another thing is if were walking and he's off the lead and he sees another dog walking towards him he will do a little run sit down and kinda like go down as if he was hiding and then walk very slowly towards the other dog while still being very low down (kinda reminds me of like a lion when they go to attack), I don't know why he does this after they get close to each other he'll go back to normal and have his sniff and we walk away.. he's a weird one. Laughing

But anyway should I be worried about any of this behaviour and what can I do about it? It's not as if he isn't well socialized because since he was a puppy we been taking him there and he's always been around other dogs and not once has he tried to go for any dog or anything.
Busterr
Busterr
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 30/09/2014
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Should I be worried and what to do Empty Re: Should I be worried and what to do

Post by Rachel33 Thu Apr 16 2015, 09:41

Hiya! I wouldn't be overly concerned but the first greeting especially isn't very polite behaviour, and probably quite annoying to the other dogs - it may elicit some negative reactions from some dogs. Understand that the rules of greeting probably all go out of the window in dog parks (I'm not sure as I don't go to them!) but in general I wouldn't allow him to rush up to dogs, but get him back on lead if you can't recall him and calm him verbally, then practise polite greetings. The second sounds a little like play, and uncertainty - just trying to figure the other dog out before he interacts. It all depends on what the rest of his body is doing. My girl lies down and stalks at other dogs but will then become aggressive if they approach (she's not great with unknown dogs, especially those that run straight up and get in her face!)
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Busterr Thu Apr 16 2015, 10:22

Rachel33 wrote:Hiya! I wouldn't be overly concerned but the first greeting especially isn't very polite behaviour, and probably quite annoying to the other dogs - it may elicit some negative reactions from some dogs. Understand that the rules of greeting probably all go out of the window in dog parks (I'm not sure as I don't go to them!) but in general I wouldn't allow him to rush up to dogs, but get him back on lead if you can't recall him and calm him verbally, then practise polite greetings. The second sounds a little like play, and uncertainty - just trying to figure the other dog out before he interacts. It all depends on what the rest of his body is doing. My girl lies down and stalks at other dogs but will then become aggressive if they approach (she's not great with unknown dogs, especially those that run straight up and get in her face!)
I see thank you, I was thinking of every time he tries to run towards another dog to call him and walk towards the other dog without letting him run, maybe he will understand not to run up to dogs but instead to walk up to them.. other than this he's amazing though, he will run around like a lunatic chasing all the dogs Laughing
Busterr
Busterr

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 30/09/2014
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Thu Apr 16 2015, 11:22

I would do calm with other dogs to perhaps getting buster to sit and let the other dog approach instead. Be aware not every dog in a dog park will be friendly . High praise when he does what you want him to do . Smile

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Should I be worried and what to do B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Apr 16 2015, 12:04

Rachel33 wrote:Hiya! I wouldn't be overly concerned but the first greeting especially isn't very polite behaviour, and probably quite annoying to the other dogs - it may elicit some negative reactions from some dogs. Understand that the rules of greeting probably all go out of the window in dog parks (I'm not sure as I don't go to them!) but in general I wouldn't allow him to rush up to dogs, but get him back on lead if you can't recall him and calm him verbally, then practise polite greetings. The second sounds a little like play, and uncertainty - just trying to figure the other dog out before he interacts. It all depends on what the rest of his body is doing. My girl lies down and stalks at other dogs but will then become aggressive if they approach (she's not great with unknown dogs, especially those that run straight up and get in her face!)

I agree. Nothing to be concerned about but I would do controlled introductions just to be safe.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down