Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please!

+12
KITA90
Kathy
Rachel33
VikkiGT4
JStaff
Mia05
stella
ColinW
Hannah&Michael UK
Inez Maria
-Ian-
cwandtimmypig
16 posters

Go down

Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Empty Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please!

Post by cwandtimmypig Fri Feb 06 2015, 14:22

Hi all

I hope someone can help. Our family rescued a Staffie at the beginning of November.

He is definitely scared of fireworks and reacts badly to bird scarers but in addition to this he keeps freezing when we are out on walks.

We thought this would get better as he settled down but it doesnt seem to be. He just stops! Sometimes if I pull him a bit he will start walking again bit otherwise I have to go back the way we came. He absolutely knows his way home and will only go in that direction. I resorted to picking him up the other day and walking a few steps but thats really not a practical solution.

Its soooo frustrating as I often walk my son to school and sometimes he just won't budge which means that I will have to stop taking him at that time and he will lose out on a walk.

Interestingly, if I take him out in the car and then walk him somewhere else we don't seem to have the same problem but I really need him to walk reliably in our own village.

He is about 18mth-2 years old and is such a lovely dog, but we are very outdoor people, camping, biking, etc etc and we need to try and help him with this so that he enjoys our family life.

Would be grateful for any tips.

Thank you

cwandtimmypig
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Timmy
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Empty Re: Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please!

Post by -Ian- Fri Feb 06 2015, 14:47

Hi & Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Icon_arrowIf you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Icon_arrowWe have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Empty Re: Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please!

Post by -Ian- Fri Feb 06 2015, 14:54

Hi and welcome to the forum from Flo & me Big Grin

I've moved your post to New Member Intro's seeing as you wrote such a nice introduction, hope you don't mind Smile

I have had exactly the same as you. Out in the car fine but outside in my street Flo can become a boulder !!

My OH and myself have overcome this by being resolute and not giving in, as far as my Flo is concerned, if we are out for a walk then that is exactly what we will do. It's been a battle of wills sometimes and like you I have even resorted to picking her up, walking 20 meters putting her down and all is then ok.

My way round this was to be firm and not give in but you could try some high value treats or something else we tried was walking a little way in the opposite direction and crossing the road. (We can't go far in the opposite direction as we live in a Cul de Sac) Rolling Eyes

I'm sure others will be along soon to offer there suggestions.
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Fri Feb 06 2015, 15:42

Hiya from me and Vinnie Big Grin
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah&Michael UK Fri Feb 06 2015, 16:13

Hi Smile, try a long line and tempt with treats and praisal, my puppy was bad for this haha but with persistance we got there now she loves walking

Hannah&Michael UK
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Newbie with a Staffie who freezes when on a walk. Help please! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by ColinW Fri Feb 06 2015, 16:49

Welcome from Iza and me Smile
ColinW
ColinW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Iza
Dog(s) Ages : 1.8 years
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 633

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Fri Feb 06 2015, 19:03

hia from me and sasha Smile well done you on rescuing Timmy Smile ,being a rescue you can never be sure what they have been through and what might scare them,like you said fireworks and loud noises are some of them,my girl is just them same,we could'nt even have crackers at xmas this year because of the bangs,does he have a squeeky toy that he loves that would attract his attention when he refuses to walk?
stella
stella

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by cwandtimmypig Fri Feb 06 2015, 20:09

Thank you for your messages. Hoping for other good tips like these. I haven't tried a squeaky toy so will try that. As for treats, I do use them and he will take a step or two but no more. I have also tried a change in direction and it works sometimes but other times he will only go towards home. Today I couldn't even get him out of our driveway! He's such a funny, lovely boy but I can feel myself getting impatient which isn't fair on him.

cwandtimmypig

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Timmy
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Feb 06 2015, 20:21

The most important thing is keeping ur voice calm, even relax your arms and take a nice treat and favourite toy with u. The dog will sense your Anxiety even.through the lead. I once resorted to squeaky voices and sticks to get a pup to walk
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Fri Feb 06 2015, 21:34

Hi and welcome from us and Suki
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by VikkiGT4 Mon Feb 09 2015, 08:18

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and the zoo Smile xx

I have the exact same issue with Knox. He is petrified of pigeon scarers and fireworks. From October to around March he is a nightmare to walk. The only time he will actually walk and enjoy himself is when we have a run and play over the field. But as I come home from work each lunch to walk him and the field is churned up I don't get chance at the lunch time to spend with him over the field Sad

This probably sounds awful but I just make him walk. I stand behind him and pretty much push him forwards by walking behind him and tapping his butt with my hand or the lead handle lol poor beggar! It's only at certain points he seems scared though and like some of you guys if we're out somewhere else, he's a dream to walk.

Such funny little souls xxx
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Feb 09 2015, 08:27

Hiya! Have you tried jogging in the direction that you want to go, and using excited, happy tones to encourage him to keep going? Bug freezes when she sees other dogs, and if safe to, this is how we keep her going. We usually just go through a "where am I going, c'mon catch up, c'mon little monkey" happy excited minute or so and then high value treat and chat to her for the first few minutes that she's walking happily. I probably look bonkers but it works for us, used to do similar to get dogs into kennels at the shelter when they put the breaks on. Stay confident, but happy! He will pick up on your getting frustrated. As Ian mentioned, my first few months after rescuing Bug was a battle of wills - she still occasionally decides that she wants to go one way and if I want to go the other we're stuck! But the silly voice usually distracts her Wink
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Feb 09 2015, 11:07

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by KITA90 Tue Feb 10 2015, 21:09

Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

Nikita and Sheara
KITA90
KITA90

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Shéara & Mollie
Dog(s) Ages : Sheara 9, Mollie 8
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11 2015, 15:18

Hi from us too! Some great advice above, I'd do what Rachel does, lots of treats and fun. Does he have a toy he loves? If so, have you tried playing with him out on walks and then throwing the toy for him to run forwards to?

Back to top Go down

Post by b_phippsy Thu Feb 12 2015, 12:08

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Bethan & Harley
b_phippsy
b_phippsy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley
Dog(s) Ages : 3 Years old
Support total : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Thu Feb 12 2015, 22:17

Hi and welcome from Oz and me, Rachel always gives great advice as well as everyone Else if course, please let us know how you get on
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Damo74 Fri Feb 13 2015, 22:41

Hi from me and Leia, and welcome to the forum. Cool

Well done rescuing Timmy I have rescued a couple of Staffies in the past. and they to turned out to be amazing dogs, so please dont let, any baggage they might have put you off, the fact you are here asking questions speaks volumes about the bond you will have with Timmy and judging from your post is already quite strong.

I haven't been on this forum for very long, but its a great place, with lots of info and friendly advice.

My Leia is only 13 weeks old and I was counting down the days to be able to take her out, and give her some exercise, and tire her out, and I thought she would love it, she had been around the garden on the lead and she was fine, but come the day she was aloud to venture she really didnt want to.

Her first day out she froze solid on the last step out of our garden, I picked her up and put her on the path and she was just pulling back and trying to go home I eventually got her to the end of the road (about 25mtrs) and we went back, my 10 year old son was gutted, he had big plans of walking her to school everyday the week after, as for me it was another night of her biting my hands and trying to tire her out in my kitchen Surprised

I bought her a coat thinking she might have been cold, that didnt work, so i started leaving it on the radiator, so it was nice and warm when she put it on, no change and eventually she destroyed it, but it might work for Timmy

What does seem to work for us is building up the walks, she was going for up to six very short walks a day, just going a litter further every day, I was focusing on time out of the house rather than distance.

what I am trying to say is break things down as much as you can for him.

I think the fact you say he is fine if you take him out in the car first is important and could have something to do with his past.

Why not try this a few times put him in the car and drive round the block get out of the car and just walk around the street you live in, if that works, just walk him around the same street without the car journey first, then build it up.

I know this may not be possible with work and Kids and life, but he will defo be worth the effort.

I hope this helps, even if only a little bit.

EDIT TO ADD: We like pictures ! get some pictures of Timmy, and post them.
Leia's Diary

Last edited by Damo74 on Fri Feb 13 2015, 22:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pictures We like pictures.)
Damo74
Damo74
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Leia
Dog(s) Ages : 18 weeks
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Goblin Sat Feb 14 2015, 08:57

Have the same thing with my boy just randomly stopping on a walk. I lured him along with corned beef when he was very little, or I did the fake out of crossing the road to go back home and then going up a different road. Now I've trained him to start walking with the command "Move!" Used it in the flat because he kept getting under my feet whilst walking backwards and it seems to work ok for outdoors now.
Goblin
Goblin

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Gizmo
Dog(s) Ages : 01/05/2014
Dog Gender(s) : boy
Support total : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down