Large lump and abnormal blood test results

+2
cleo
Rachel33
6 posters

Go down

Large lump and abnormal blood test results Empty Large lump and abnormal blood test results

Post by cleo Wed Dec 17 2014, 14:52

Hello, this is my first post, I found your site whilst looking for help for my daughter, who at the moment is distraught. Her eight year old rescue staffie developed a lump/swelling on her side about 10 days ago, quite small at the time. Over the weekend it has increased in size quite markedly, although she has shown no signs of illness or distress and is eating normally and being her usual happy, boisterous self. The lump has also become what my daughter describes as " crusty" over the last 24 hrs. The vet has worried my daughter to death by pronouncing the lump very sinister, and today she was taken in for it to be removed. Blood test before surgery showed abnormal bilirubin, raised to what the vet says is the high side of normal, a reading of 13. They have given her a small meal and are re testing to see if levels are more raised before the lump is removed. Does anyone know what this could be, we are all so worried. Thank you.

cleo
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Large lump and abnormal blood test results Empty Re: Large lump and abnormal blood test results

Post by Rachel33 Wed Dec 17 2014, 14:58

Hey! Could you post any photos of the lump? I have some experience - some being cancerous and some being fatty lumps. Vet will be your best bet however. Sorry to hear about this Sad any lumps are always such a worry x
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Large lump and abnormal blood test results Empty Re: Large lump and abnormal blood test results

Post by cleo Wed Dec 17 2014, 15:17

Hello Rachel33, thanks for your reply. I don't have a pic of the lump, my daughter says Cleo ( yes, I have adopted the dog's name as my username!) has shown no signs of being aware of it at all, it's in the middle of her side and was tiny at first but has now grown rapidly to about 3cm across. It's not a smooth lump which I believe has concerned the vet, as this probably suggests a malignancy. But do cancers grow that fast in only a few days? She appears fit and well and has had no digestive upsets of any kind, normal stools etc.

cleo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Dec 17 2014, 18:53

What colour is the lump? And is it shiny or scabby? My girl had a lump on her hind leg that grew within weeks - it was black and shiny, looked taut almost like it was covered in film, she ignored it for a while and then began to chew it - otherwise was no different in eating/bowel/exercise habits. Hers turned out to be a grade 6 malignant melanoma unfortunately, but we removed it quickly and it luckily hadn't spread to lungs/lymph nodes, and hasn't returned (3 years later.) Since she had had 2 more lumps of similar colour, they didn't grow as quickly - both turned out to be fatty lumps fortunately.

Best bet is to get it and all surrounding tissues excised and tested ASAP, hope it goes well xxx
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Wed Dec 17 2014, 19:33

How worrying for you all, I do hope its all ok xx

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Large lump and abnormal blood test results B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by cleo Wed Dec 17 2014, 19:58

Thank you for your good wishes Inez Maria, they are much appreciated x
Rachel, the lump is round, and was pink, the same colour as her skin, but has since turned more red. The skin over the lump isn't like a true scab if you see what I mean, but is sloughy, a bit scaly in appearance.
Cleo is now back home and has to go back on Friday for removal, as the vet didn't risk the anaesthetic after having given her some food to re- assess her liver function. She remains full of beans, had her tea when she got home and is now sleeping her adventure off, meanwhile my daughter needs a tranquilliser and a large glass of something! x

cleo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Wed Dec 17 2014, 20:08

Large lump and abnormal blood test results 3198918699 Large lump and abnormal blood test results 3198918699

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Wed Dec 17 2014, 20:54

Can imagine you're all going out of your minds Sad the amount of times I cried with worry and Bug just carried on running around like a loon - love that about dogs, staffies in particular. Good luck for the op on Friday, and hope it's nothing serious. Keep us updated! Thoughts are with you xx
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cleo Wed Dec 17 2014, 21:43

Thank you, it really helps to talk to fellow doggie nuts, Cleo is the first Staffie in the family but we have always had dogs. My last was a crazy Jack Russell who lived to 21 last year and broke my heart. I will let you know what happens on Friday, just hope we are not waiting in agony for results over the Christmas period! x

cleo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Wed Dec 17 2014, 22:56

Hope all goes well on Friday and fingers crossed things aren't as bad as they seem just now. Please do let us know what happens.

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by cleo Fri Dec 19 2014, 18:44

Hello Rachel, Inez Maria and Ian, Cleo is back home after her surgery and recovering well, although going full on for the sympathy vote as a good Staffie should! She's obviously a bit sore, but has managed a light meal and is enjoying being fussed over. My daughter says the wound is about three times the size of the lump but of course the vet will have made sure of a wide margin in case it turns out to be nasty. She's been given some Metacam, check up on Monday. Pathology results may not be till after the Xmas break, I will post updates as soon as I know. Again, many thanks for your support, it has helped so much. XXX

cleo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Dec 19 2014, 19:10

Great news that Cleo is back home where she belongs. I'm sure she will milk the love and attention as well she should too bless her.

It's a wise move to get it excised as soon as possible and fingers crossed it will turn out to be harmless. Wishing you all a Happy Christmass Smile

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Fri Dec 19 2014, 19:25

So glad she is home and doing ok, yes do keep us updated and we are here anytime. Xxx

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Fri Dec 19 2014, 19:49

So glad she's home and resting - did they say how long she's off exercise for? Last time for Bug it was 6 weeks and she went batty, though it was removed from quite an awkward place that tore when she moved Sad fingers crossed for positive results, and we're all here if you ever need a chat/rant/cry! Stick around the forum in general too if you like Smile it's a friendly place! Xxx
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cleo Sat Dec 20 2014, 21:47

Hi everyone, Cleo is being spoiled rotten and loving it, she had a bit of a bad night last night, cried a lot, she must have been in pain but the Metacam is only prescribed once a day. She's had chicken and rice today, and a short gentle walk. Her wound is probably in the best place it could be Rachel, away from anywhere she could accidently strain, and she can't reach it to lick or scratch! She's had a rough time, in May she was attacked by another Staffie who ran across a road to get to her, out of the blue. Cleo was on her lead at the time with my daughter and her husband who had to beat it off and pick Cleo up to try to get her out of the other dogs jaws. She had her soft underbelly punctured right through the muscle several times and then the wounds got infected and broke down, weeping pus and fluid non stop for two weeks. Poor lamb, she is such a gentle, good natured dog who loves everyone. She knows she is loved by us all.

cleo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Sat Dec 20 2014, 22:01

Aww poor Cleo, she really has been through it this year bless her.

I really hope for her sake and all of yours that this is the end of her troubles and she can relax and be the happy contented dog that she sounds to be. I echo Rachel's thoughts, do stick around and give us updates on her and if you feel like it, have a general chat Smile

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sat Dec 20 2014, 22:13

Hope cleo gets well soon and heals well hope the biopsy turns out ok.

Large lump and abnormal blood test results B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Sun Dec 21 2014, 18:28

Oh Cleo hope she is soon back to normal, we do so worry about them Smile

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by cleo Mon Dec 22 2014, 15:54

Hi everyone, Cleo has had her wound check, that's fine, and she is cleared to have a proper walk. She seems to know, she's raring to go! I will let you know her results soon as, in the meantime I will stick around and look further round the site. Thank you all for your advice and support, and have a great Christmas with your furry pals. Cleo will be getting a great big bone and some treats from Santa! xxx

cleo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Mon Dec 22 2014, 18:56

Aww glad she can now go out for her walks, yes do let us know the results. Have a very merry xmas and do stick around x

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Dec 22 2014, 18:58

So pleased to hear Cleo is healing well. Have a great Christmas too Smile

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by cleo Mon Jan 05 2015, 17:09

Hello all, Cleo's test results are back, the lump was benign! Smile My daughter was in tears of relief, and Cleo was rewarded with a huge pigs trotter which she has enjoyed very much. Thank you all again for being so concerned and caring and supportive, I will stay on the forum as it is so friendly and informative. I'm also going to get my daughter to join, she is currently a member of some Staffie fan club pages on Facebook, in fact Cleo has her own Facebook page and quite a few friends, both human and doggie! Thanks for sharing in my good news, Happy New Year to everyone. cloud9 xxx

cleo

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Mon Jan 05 2015, 17:51

What fab news I am so pleased for you all. Yes do stick around and look foward to seeing your daughter here aswell. Happy new year to you also xx

Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Mon Jan 05 2015, 18:56

Yay brilliant news thumbs up

-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Mon Jan 05 2015, 19:18

brilliant news

Large lump and abnormal blood test results B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by DebsNZ Mon Jan 05 2015, 20:29

Fantastic news x
DebsNZ
DebsNZ
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ruby
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2nd October 2014
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down