green puppy poo

2 posters

Go down

green puppy poo Empty green puppy poo

Post by nelson2011 Sat Jun 18 2011, 21:58

Hi all.

Myself and my partner have rescued a 4month old staff. weve had 'Nelson' for 1 day and last night was a nightmare to say the least.
I am very much of an amateur when it comes to staffs as this is out 1st one.
He cried alot last night which i expected- but the green smelly poo i did not. He has passed alot of green mess today. Is he ok?? His rescue people are very 'sketchy' on detail(s) with his past, especially with a lump on the top of his head. they said it will go down with time after him running into the wardrobe???

We have fed him chicken and rice hoping it will calm his little belly down- is this right?

Any tips or suggestions on helping this little puppy out are welcomed.

Speak soon

nelson2011
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

green puppy poo Empty Re: green puppy poo

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 01:24

Hi & welcome to the forum!

The colour of poo often reflects what they've been fed. What were you (and the rescue people) feeding him?

If it had charcoal in it (maybe charcoal biscuits) then it's quite likely. It could also be the upheaval of a move to a new home & new owners, it's a very anxious time for a dog.

He'll cry because he's anxious, confused, upset & lonely! Give him a couple of days to settle & I'm sure he'll quieten down & begin to relax. It can, though, take a few weeks to completely settle in a new home so try to be patient but set the groundrules now, and ne consistent.

Is he lively & happy in himself? If so I wouldn't worry too much. If he goes off his food, or won't drink, or seems a bit 'off', get him checked by a vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson2011 Sun Jun 19 2011, 09:32

Thanks for the reply caryll.

they had been feeding him 'chappie' dog food.I guessed that that wouldnt be suitable for a puppy so we bought some pedigree chum puppy food and mixed with chicken & rice.
They did provide me with pro-kolin+ as they said he may have an upset tummy due to the move...
to be honest, he was good as gold last night. No mess nor crying all night and he is running around like bambi this morning.
I think i might take him to the vet tomorrow for a check over- as not 100% comfortable with the rescue people..
Any other tips??

Sean & Nelson

nelson2011

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 17:30

What's his poo like today?

It could have just been the new surroundings etc that upset him, so if he's ok today I wouldn't worry.

A visit to the vet is often a good idea with a pup, so that they become happy with the vets before they need their annual vaccinations etc. I used to take mine in just to get weighed so that they didn't always associate the vets with bad things.

If you've any specific questions, just ask away!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jun 19 2011, 17:40

Welcome to the forum!! Smile I would suggest a once over at the vets too, especially with the lump on the head, probably nothing but worth a check! Would love to see some pics of Nelson x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson2011 Sun Jun 19 2011, 20:02

Thanks both for your comments.

Ive tried to set up the profile here and add some pics of the little fella but for some reason its not allowing me to and telling me to contact the admin, which ive done so fingers crossed you can see him soon..

Taken him for a walk and a run at the local park and he interacted well with other dogs but didnt really listen me- im guessing it was because it was all new and exciting for him?

As for poo- its no longer green and seems to be 'normal'..
i dont know why but he has started to pick up stones and try to eat them. ive bought plenty of balls and toys for him..

Ive been trying to get hold of the lady from the rescue center so i can take him to the vet that he has been to already tomorrow for a check over.

Thanks again

Sean and Nelson

nelson2011

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19 2011, 21:07

Glad he's doing well.

I'm sure he'll start to listen to you soon - don't forget everything's still very new for him & he'll need a little while to get used to the fact that you call the shots!

A lot of dogs seem to go through a stome chewing phase, I've no idea why! Just try to make sure you're quicker than he is & teach him the 'leave' command! After a while he'll get the message & won't pick them up any more.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down