Dogface
Kathy
Mia05
yeahbut
9 posters

Go down

Mad Idiot Dog Walkers

Post by Dogface Fri Oct 03 2014, 16:28

At least I assume they were dog walkers. Walking Bo in the woods on his lead and I hear voices so I slow down. Two young women come into view accompanied by several dogs (I later found out there were four), all off-lead. Ratty little terrier types.

Now Bo always sits or lies down when he sees an off-lead dog coming towards him so he did that. Three of the dogs then ran like lunatics towards him, barking. He didn't move and two stopped a few feet away whilst the other went right up to him. Bo stood up and they sniffed noses.

I pulled Bo and called him whilst one of the women came down the path calling her dogs, who took no notice, at which point two of these terrier rats attacked Bo, pushing him into the undergrowth near my feet. I shouted at them and slapped the main aggressor and it backed off. Bo didn't even try to retaliate.

Then this idiot woman ran up whilst her friend waited some distance away. "Oh, sorry about that," she said, and proceeded to usher her dogs away. I was checking Bo for injuries and told her, "That dog should be on a lead," to which she made no comment.

After she'd put two of the ratty creatures on leads she whined, "He's not even mine, he's never done that before," as if she expected me to throw up my hands and say, "Really? Oh well that's OK then! Forget about it!" Basically she was blaming everyone but herself.

Then she said defensively, "I am sorry but it wasn't done on purpose."

I didn't even reply. Absolute stupidity combined with a typical lack of responsibility. As I say, I assume she was a dog walker if the dog wasn't hers and I just wonder if the owner would be happy if they knew what kind of person he or she is paying to take care of their dogs. Or maybe they don't care either.

It's not the first time Bo has been attacked either, and he's never the aggressor and he's never off the lead in public. The next time I'll be reporting it to the police. If Bo had been injured I would have reported this incident and also videoed this woman for YouTube. I'm sick to death of these morons who let their dogs run wild and think that whining, "Oooh ahm sooo sorreh!" will make it instantly OK.
Dogface
Dogface
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Support total : 124

Back to top Go down

Mad Re: Idiot Dog Walkers

Post by yeahbut Fri Oct 03 2014, 17:00

I completely agree, this is the nightmare scenario. Even worse would have been if Bo had reacted in the same way. I always dread this particular kind of encounter because if my dog had snapped back at the aggressor to defend himself (in his case quite likely) then one of the ratty creatures really would have come off worse. And if that happens we lose the moral high ground - even though the other party started it and even though we're doing the responsible thing by being on lead in the public space and the other dog is out of control. There is no limit to the stupidity of some dog walkers/owners and you're describing a very difficult situation indeed.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Idiot Dog Walkers Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Fri Oct 03 2014, 17:25

^ Yeahbut - Exactly right. I was almost relieved that Bo didn't defend himself because we all know what would have happened... It's always the Staffie's fault.
Dogface
Dogface

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Fri Oct 03 2014, 17:31

Hate the wee terrier types worst dog on the planet

Staffy-Bull-Terrier Online Community
Meet the forum staff - Who's Who
Please read the forum rules - Click Here.

Idiot Dog Walkers B310
Mia05
Mia05
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Fri Oct 03 2014, 17:35

There is no dog I hate (even if some may be a little annoying). However, I do wholeheartedly despise ignorant and selfish owners. Definitely the owner's fault - as always.

yeahbut

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Oct 03 2014, 17:46

My advice would be to treat yourself to something like what's in the link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coby-1-44-Inch-TFT-LCD-SNAPP-Mini-Camcorder-Camera-CAM3001-Black-/201075679903

This way you always have evidence of what has happenend.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Fri Oct 03 2014, 18:01

Kathy wrote:My advice would be to treat yourself to something like what's in the link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coby-1-44-Inch-TFT-LCD-SNAPP-Mini-Camcorder-Camera-CAM3001-Black-/201075679903

This way you always have evidence of what has happenend.

That's a good idea. I've got a good HD video recorder on my pocket camera but it's slightly too bulky, so something you could clip on would be useful I think.
Dogface
Dogface

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah&Michael UK Sun Oct 26 2014, 15:29

Im also sick of this happening to me, and when you say to people does yourdog bite and as your about to let your dog off they say, well he doesnt like staffys, so dogs now have started disliking certain breeds, wth.

Hannah&Michael UK

Status Status :

Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dogface Sun Oct 26 2014, 16:01

As an update, I saw these two walkers again the other day in front of me in the woods, with the same four dogs. A bloke with his on-lead dog was coming the other way and the terriers that attacked Bo went mad, snarling and fighting to get at this other dog with one woman using all her strength to hold them back.

When the bloke passed me he made a comment about owners who couldn't control their dogs. I briefly told him what had happened a few weeks back (as in the OP) and he said yeah, those terriers had also attacked his dog before.

So when the woman originally said, "Oh, they've never done it before!" she was lying. I knew she was lying when she said it but it's good to have it confirmed.
Dogface
Dogface

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Mia05 Sun Oct 26 2014, 18:28

if u have a mobile take a video on ur phone

Idiot Dog Walkers B310
Mia05
Mia05

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 2005-2016 rip mia
Support total : 1317

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan and Holly Fri Dec 05 2014, 02:25

How about the classic "is he friendly?" Yet when you ask the same question they get all up tight and short tempered. One woman told me she didn't like Staffies because of their reputation/image, at the time she had a large English Bull Terrier by her feet. That's what i like to see, rock solid consistancy. Rolling Eyes
Stan and Holly
Stan and Holly

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Years 4/6/10
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 52

https://2img.net/i/fa/pbucket.gif

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Fri Dec 05 2014, 10:35

Maybe there should be a law that states that in order for a dog to be off lead it has to demonstrate good recall and the walker has to demonstrate the ability to be a responsible owner.

Here's another thought, would the public accept a law that states that in order to own a dog you must attend classes and receive a certificate in the training level required.

Idiot Dog Walkers B110
-Ian-
-Ian-
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by Inez Maria Fri Dec 05 2014, 18:58

Yup numpties!! had this yesterdy with Vin they make my blood boil!! angry

Idiot Dog Walkers B110
Inez Maria
Inez Maria

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Vinnie
Dog(s) Ages : 11/08/2011
Support total : 2596

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan and Holly Fri Dec 05 2014, 20:03

Il quite like that idea, as long as it covers all breeds not just Bull breeds. The irony of it that when we meet other Staffies they're great with Stan and i use Stanley to get their dogs back for them too. So many walking rectums about, imagine their children! Sorry if you're eating. Big Grin It's lovely to see so many Staffy owners that are so supportive too. Cool Smile
Stan and Holly
Stan and Holly

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Stanley
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Years 4/6/10
Support total : 52

https://2img.net/i/fa/pbucket.gif

Back to top Go down

Post by Damo74 Wed Feb 11 2015, 22:15

-Ian- wrote:Maybe there should be a law that states that in order for a dog to be off lead it has to demonstrate good recall and the walker has to demonstrate the ability to be a responsible owner.

Here's another thought, would the public accept a law that states that in order to own a dog you must attend classes and receive a certificate in the training level required.

Absolutley agree, and why did we get rid of the dog licence in the UK.

They shouldnt ban breeds just their dangerous owners

I had to get some womans attention a couple of nights ago whilst out walking Leia, her yapping rats on stilts were off the lead, and she was too busy with her face buried in her Phone to notice her dogs had come bounding over to hassle my dog.

Leia was kind of laid down but up on her front paws with these three dogs around her I was telling her good girl and the woman whilst still in mid txt was calling one of the dogs back and walking half a step quicker, when Leia had enough of the bigger of the three sniffing around her rear end and quickly jumped to her feet, all three of the tall rats were startled and jumped back, there was a standoff then the dog was barking at Leia, I stepped forward and stamped on the ground in the dogs direction and they all legged it, the woman at this point had suddenly changed her pace, perhaps she thought her dog was going to get my boot up its ar$e, as she tried to get her dogs together, still with her phone in her hand I just knelt down and gave my little girl some reasurance and affection, I was sort of waiting for an appology, but by the time we started walking again she had only got one of her dogs on the lead.

I really feel sorry for dogs that dont know how to behave, they must miss out on so much.

Damo74
Damo74
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Leia
Dog(s) Ages : 18 weeks
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Feb 12 2015, 00:08

Ah been in this situation all too often, owners that don't give a T**s what there dog is doing.. Drives me mad !

Had a similar thing this afternoon, there's a group that all walk together, all their dogs off lead and all get along fine as they know each other. Now I know Flo doesn't like a group they just wind her up as she doesn't know who wants to play and who doesn't so we skirt round and all is fine but today oh no... They made a mission out of getting right in our trot home !!

There's a mixture of dogs, small to large and Flo tolerated it fine and wanted to play but she Will play rough with teeth showing and it could be seen as aggressive... I went with it, I shouldn't but did.

Flo was ace, she roughed housed as I knew she would but there was no menace there even though the fur was up. The group were actually fine and there was no mention of "nasty Staff" which surprised me.

So having hauled her away because she didn't respond to her normal great recall (even her Stix didn't work) all was fine, but the thing is... This group deliberately put themselves in our way knowing that we have always kept our distance Rolling Eyes

Idiot Dog Walkers B110
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down