puppy in harness or collar?

Go down

puppy in harness or collar? Empty puppy in harness or collar?

Post by loulabellec Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:13

Been to puppy training last week and this, and class leader says Peppa is pulling because she is in a harness, and I should buy a collar so I will have more control. Now I have a collar, and all that happens when I put it on is that Peppa throws herself on the floor and drags her neck along trying to get the collar off, even cutting her ear on something at one point in the garden when I tried (for 3 days) to get her used to it. When I put the lead on, she just lays on her back and chews the lead, and I have no control at all as the lead just twists around to under her chin and if I pull on it, I just drag her along on her back. After a week of this and us not even getting out of the door, I bought a harness, put it on, and she happily followed me out of the door and on her first walk within about a minute.
I realise that the dog trainer has WAY more experience than me, but I have trained young horses from foals for about 20 odd years, and the one that we never did was to use a bridle with a bit (which gives more control) instead of a headcollar to lead our horses around. If the youngsters misbehaved in a headcollar, you didnt go for something stronger, you just taught them how to behave properly in the headcollar.

What I would appreciate is everyones experiences and comments with the harness versus collar issue, Peppa does pull when excited, but at least if she lunges for something in a harness and I pull her back, I'm not yanking her neck around. Staffs are traditionally in a harness, there must surely be a reason for this?

Also, I am getting a collar, and want to know what size to get, I've seen a lovely flat bridle leather collar which I know I can oil up till its lovely and soft, and it has a buckle, so wont be too bulky and awkward round her neck. I do need to get her used to wearing a collar for her ID tag in case she goes AWOL but I do want her to be comfy in it as she will have to wear it all the time.

Sorry its such a long post everyone! Am really confused. Trainer says one thing, but my experience and gut instinct say the opposite!

loulabellec
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

puppy in harness or collar? Empty Re: puppy in harness or collar?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:18

If she's really unhappy about a collar, I'd try a halti. It will take her a while to get used to, but it's a lot gentler than a collar & she won't be strangling herself if she pulls. Why not use a harness and a halti? You could then get a double ended lead & clip one end on the harness & one on the halti - double control!

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--The-HALTI-Training-Lead--haltilead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 08 2011, 22:30

i always harness walk mine puerly because i dont like collar walking as i dont like to pull on there necks ... differant people use differant things that bennefit there own dogs.
Walk her on whatever she seems to be fine with Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 08:25

we used a harness at first when billy was really small but now cause he is so good on the lead (touch wood) we use a collar and he now walks to heed. but with both the collar and the harness it took a while for him to get used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 09:25

I was using a collar with Roxy and she would pull like anything, making terrible choking noises. I switched to a harness and she walks so much nicer.
I was told to make sure the harness fits correctly so that it does not damage her bones/growth etc....

I am a firm believer that sometimes you've just got to do what feels right for YOU

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 10:30

i was using a harness for woody and it was a dog trainer that told me to use a collar but we only ever used it at dog training, it made it easier to control the training. however for walking i always still use the harness as i feel i can control him better and he doesnt pull. woody still has his collar on with his id tag but the lead is attached to the harness when out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 10:34

In an ideal world u would want to get peppa walking nicely to heel using her collar but realisticly it doesnt always happen, i no! I spent months and month trying to train both of mine to walk to heel with a collar nicely, in both cases i had to just swap to the harness as Ty in particluar litterally past out through being strangled with the collar from pulling so much. If i were u i would just do whatever suits her best x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 13:04

we use a harness on harvey and he walks much better on one then he did on his collar, although he was never much on a puller, but he now walks to heal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 14:11

Well Jethro walks nicely with a collar but I bought him a snazzy purple harness and matching lead.. because I like the look of it! And now even though Winston walks nicely with his little collar and lead on I got him a green harness and lead... it is too big for him now, but I can't wait to see it on him. Like Lisa said... do what feels right for YOU!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down