kirsty2503
-Ian-
shegsy
stella
17 posters

Go down

Another programme about dog fighting Empty Another programme about dog fighting

Post by markrobo Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:10

On channel 4 Now at 10 there's a programme about dog fighting wht do they allow to put these programmes on the  people need locking up allowing to be filmed please do not watch if easy affected by these cruel barbaric acts these dogs go through ell so sad how do they get awy with this

Last edited by Kathy on Tue Jun 17 2014, 10:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved post to Staffy News)
markrobo
markrobo
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : beau
Dog(s) Ages : 12 months
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 99

Back to top Go down

Another programme about dog fighting Empty Re: Another programme about dog fighting

Post by stella Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:21

i could'nt bear to watch such a programme would upset me too much,thanks for the warning.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Another programme about dog fighting Empty Re: Another programme about dog fighting

Post by shegsy Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:24

I can't watch either
shegsy
shegsy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella RIP angel
Dog(s) Ages : 04/2001 - 08/2014
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 328

Back to top Go down

Post by kirsty2503 Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:25

I think it's horrible poor poor dogs! I saw a bit about it on Twitter but couldn't watch it myself. Rspca have put on twitter that they are trying to find the people responsible. I hope they lock them up.

kirsty2503
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:32

They need to catch these horrible cruel people asap
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kirsty2503 Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:35

I agree can't believe channel 4 are allowing it to be shown. I couldn't bare to watch it.

kirsty2503

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by -Ian- Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:40

It is completely barbaric !... How can anyone see this as sport !
-Ian-
-Ian-

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Anything, she's Deaf !
Dog(s) Ages : RIP Flo
Dog Gender(s) : Girl
Support total : 2862

Back to top Go down

Post by kirsty2503 Thu Jun 12 2014, 22:44

I think it's disgusting all the dogs want is a warm loving home. Penny woolcock who is involved in it has said she doesn't know any of the owners names. What a liar she is!

kirsty2503

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by lumpydog Thu Jun 12 2014, 23:05

Surely the camera crew/producers etc. have names addresses? They should be made to hand over all information in their possession
lumpydog
lumpydog

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Meg
Dog(s) Ages : Sept 20th 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Fri Jun 13 2014, 00:06

I did not watch it couldn`t bring myself too
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Fri Jun 13 2014, 07:24

The RSPCA should ask channel 4 they seem to have the connections. Totally disgusting programme. They should take all responsible stick them in a pit and let all the disgusted dog lovers loose on the scum.
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 13 2014, 08:12

I totally agree with you deb xx

Back to top Go down

Post by yeahbut Fri Jun 13 2014, 12:06

I watched it, the parts of it that I could bear, with a 49lb (22kg) dog sitting on my lap, with the sound down (subtitles) so as not to disturb his sleep.

Some animal charities today (League Against Cruel Sports, for example) are advocating watching the programme so that the barbaric practice of dog-fighting (surged 400% in recent years) can be exposed. However, having now seen it, I wouldn’t recommend it and think the RSPCA got it right in their analysis today. They say ‘there was no purpose to the documentary’ and that it did nothing to help the dogs. (RSPCA statement: http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/06/13/channel-4s-going-to-the-dogs/)

The only slender (and it is very slender) benefit is that thousands of outraged people are talking about dog-fighting today where previously the subject had no focus. Outrage may lead to action. Further on the plus side, at least this flawed programme put massive weight behind the argument that it’s the owners who are to blame, not the dogs. The twittersphere was buzzing with that message last night; people got it.

The film was harrowing and pointless but from what I have seen, I do not anticipate that it will create a staffie backlash - which was central to my concern.

yeahbut
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Another programme about dog fighting Top_ra10

Status Status :

Support total : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by MoreGun89 Fri Jun 13 2014, 14:24

I hope they found a way to help the dogs. Don't have regular tv so didn't watch, but I do like that it has started a conversation as yeahbut said. Awareness is the first step towards fixing any issue, and I hope that this encourages more to be done about these acts of barbary. Sad
MoreGun89
MoreGun89
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Karma
Dog(s) Ages : 13 weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Fri Jun 13 2014, 20:00

Hello - I didn't see it.

Can someone tell me what happened - particularly regarding the people involved. Where was it filmed? Did you learn anything? Did it say where the dogs come from? Are they bred or are they stolen?

Also, did it say anything about what kind of people go in for dog fighting and whether the police act when they get info about it?

It makes me so sad. Says so much about human nature. I know a guy down the road who could see, from his tower block, into a traveller's site and saw this one Staffy - big hippo type - sitting on a balcony all day being mistreated. He went down eventually and asked what was happening to this dog, and he was told he was "useless" at fighting - implication was that he was going to be used for bait. This bloke - who had no money - scraped together £200 and bought the dog off them, and then adopted him.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Sat Jun 14 2014, 16:13

I've just watched it as its still up on demand! (didn't expect that but had avoided the threads to form my own opinion)

It was filmed in Birmingham and implied it was an Asian male dominated world (with some influence from 'ghetto' gangs) citing that the culture has come over from India/Pakistan where it is still a legalized sport! Regarding the dogs again the implication was breeding talking about certain bloodlines

What disturbed me most was how much the guys filming and narrating the documentary seemed to get a buzz out of going to the fights. But tbh about a third of it was just snapshots of general animal cruelty propaganda saying you are a hypocrite if you abhor dogfighting but eat meat

They did say that police had raided and seized a number of the dogs but flipped it straight to say how is that any better as they are only seized to be killed

A massively bias programme save the chap in the last couple mins in the park with his kid and his 'pit bull type' and came across as more pro fighting simply because other animals can be subject to cruelty because of their species and place on the food chain - it didn't have a balanced view or have a defined point to put across tbh it seemed to me like it was just a rip off of the US 'off the chain' that can be seen on you tube

jshrew
jshrew

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by rico24 Sat Jun 14 2014, 23:20

I cant bear to watch programes like that.
How anyone could be so cruel to these poor dogs is beyond me.
How anyone can find dog fighting entertaining is just barbaric

rico24
rico24
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Another programme about dog fighting Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sun Jun 15 2014, 10:29

I hope something good comes out of it. If it's true that dog fighting is becoming more prevalent, perhaps there will be more pressure to shut dog fights down.

Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Jun 15 2014, 11:32

Breaks my heart and boils my p!ss in equal measures  angry 

I couldnt even watch the ads leading upto it  doh 
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Cait Sun Jun 15 2014, 14:39

Given my dogs history this is not a subject I can be neutral on. The worst scars that could have killed her stand out all the time but in the sunlight you can see the smaller scars hidden by her coat.

I do all I can to encourage local folk to report any suspicion of anyone who MIGHT be misusing let alone abusing a dog with the aim of them being used in fighting to tell the Police and or the RSPCA.

The RSPCA are leading the lobbying demand that all the film evidence is handed to the police for ongoing investigation. You can lobby via this website
http://blogs.rspca.org.uk/insights/2014/06/13/channel-4s-going-to-the-dogs/

Cait
Cait
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pink
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Support total : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by saffi28 Tue Jun 17 2014, 14:39

This breaks my heart.  My sister rescued Brin, a 10 year old staffi whose history was a well loved dog who when his owner died, the son took.  He was then used as a bait dog.   He has bad teeth, as they were clipped and some removed (not properly).  His back legs are problematic where the vet believes he was picked up by the back legs and then pushed back and forward into a pack of dogs.  He is covered in scars, one particularly bad one across the top of his head.  He is obviously very nervous of other dogs and as a result cannot be allowed to be off lead and he is muzzled when out in public.    I was surprised a bait dog was actually placed up for re-homing by the rescue centre, for obvious reasons, but we all love Brin and my sister and family are doing the best they can to ensure his last few years are peaceful and happy.    The mentality of those who actually enjoy suffering.  I still can't, and will never, get my head around it.  This dog, even though he suffered at the hands of a wicked man, shows nothing other than trust and love - unbelievable.

Brin looks very similar to 'pink' that is why I have shared my story.

I didn't watch the channel 4 program. I do watch dog rescue programs as although upsetting most of the time the dogs are re-homed and it is lovely to see the dogs enjoying a loving home. I could not bring myself to watch something so harrowing knowing full well there would be no happy ending. I would not say I would rather stay blissfully unaware as I think we can all honestly say that we know it goes on but unless there is a purpose to a program, which I really don't believe there was, I wouldn't put myself through it. I just hope that those responsible are brought to justice, bloody b*s#**ds???
saffi28
saffi28
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie (Rocker Dog) and Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 5 and a half
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Tue Jun 17 2014, 15:34

Oh Saffi I teared up reading through what happend to Brin Sad I'm glad he's got some peace now but how awful for him I wonder what his original owner would have done to his son if he was alive...

Next time you see Brin give him a big kiss from me!
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Cait Tue Jun 17 2014, 20:50

Saffi, some dogs do seem to recover better than others and a good rescue will carefully match what a possible owner could offer to the needs of each dog. I think its quicker for the physical scars to be treated so they heal, the emotional and mental ones take far longer.

I for one am glad that your sister was able to take Brin. The difference being rehomed into the right caring and gentle home for a scared and withdrawn dog can make a huge differance not only to the dogs quality of life but the family they move in with too.

Pink also has a deep bite scars across her skull and muzzle, I was expecting her to be more than wary of other dogs but she managed to retain a hope of friendly dogs. I choose NOT to watch the program, my old Grandad told me more told me more than enough about why he always bought home injured dogs he found for my gran to care for. The sad thing is despite legislation and the work of the likes of the RSPCA this is still going on.

People like your sister give hope to the dogs who make it.
Cait
Cait

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by saffi28 Wed Jun 18 2014, 09:41

Cait, I am sorry if I came across as though I felt bait dogs should not be given a chance.   Brin and Pink have both shown that whatever they have gone through, with the right gentle love they will respond again with trust. Yes you are definitely right in what you say that as long as the owners are carefully matched, and those who take them on are fully aware of the circumstances behind the rescue and have the time and patience, most dogs can find a loving home and what they add to that home is beyond words.  It would just be heartbreaking if they are re-homed and then the owners couldn't deal with the problems that arise caused by the mis-treatment and then they are given up again.  

Both Brin and Pink have come out the other end and are both with people who are devoted and care.   Thank you.
saffi28
saffi28

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxie (Rocker Dog) and Maisey
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 5 and a half
Support total : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Cait Fri Jun 20 2014, 10:31

Hopefully a little good has come from that ghastly program last week.

This poor lad was found dumped and reported to the RSPCA. I just hope that poor dog passes its assessment by the police and wardens and can be helped.  Sad  Just so grateful the person who found the dog called for the RSPCA.

[please note his BBC report includes a photo of an injured dog's face. The local press reports did not pull any punches in the images they have used possibly in an attempt to promote enough outrage to get names given to the police and the RSPCA.]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27929100
Cait
Cait

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sat Jun 21 2014, 01:13

How is RSPCA footage lobbying going?

Police need to get involved.

This is criminal behaviour and gang culture where other criminal behaviour prob involved.

And there is a relationship between how a person treats a dog and how they treat - for example - children.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia26 Tue Dec 02 2014, 05:32

For those of us who live in Birmingham I'd like to say it did do a little good. The programming after making me sick to my stomach was promptly researched. Five houses were raided and all dogs taken. Mostly bait dogs. The six month old pit female pup was also taken and the prize fighter. This sport is horrific and I'm glad the raids happened its just sad the pit pup paid the ultimate price like some bait dogs did.
PS I'm in no way saying it was all good. The presenters at one point likened it to horse racing. I'm not sure how death and blood fit that nowadays but its what was said.
alicia26
alicia26

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : sam & tess
Dog Gender(s) : one of each

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Dec 02 2014, 06:24

I'm glad that something good came out of the programme then nice to here
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia26 Tue Dec 02 2014, 06:42

It was the only good thing I could find from it. As a presenter iv got to say some of his opinions scared the life out of me. Some of the dogs went to a rescue I foster for but couldn't help as iv got two. Poor things would have had heart failure
alicia26
alicia26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Dec 02 2014, 08:07

I'm a bit cautious about taking my dog out been hereing about people taking your dog's off you and being used as bait dogs it's in the local newspaper and BBC local news what the hello it comingoing to
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia26 Tue Dec 02 2014, 08:14

Not something I'm aware of. What area if you don't mind my asking? Got 12 huskys that live out all year over the back fence. Would be good to let him know if its close by.
alicia26
alicia26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Dec 02 2014, 08:23

West midlands areas
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by alicia26 Tue Dec 02 2014, 16:08

Thanks for the heads up. Told my neighbours and took out my dog door just in case
alicia26
alicia26

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by markrobo Tue Dec 02 2014, 16:32

It's in the express and star tonight about dogs in Walsall
markrobo
markrobo

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down