Is there such thing as an Irish staff?

5 posters

Go down

Is there such thing as an Irish staff? Empty Is there such thing as an Irish staff?

Post by BellaBluebell Fri Jun 03 2011, 00:51

Basically as the title says...is there such a thing as the irish staff? I ask because my new pups owner said dad is an irish staff. I was always under the impression that it was just what people here call pitbulls to get away with owning one. Ive done a search but it come up with very mixed views from it being a pure pitbull to being a cross pitbull or even just a staffie bred in Ireland!!
BellaBluebell
BellaBluebell
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Bluebell(staff) Phoebe(am cocker) Pippa(cav) William(cav)
Dog Gender(s) : 3 bitches 1 dog
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Is there such thing as an Irish staff? Empty Re: Is there such thing as an Irish staff?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03 2011, 01:03

This has been covered here.............

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t2946-irish-staffy?highlight=irish+staff

Hope it answers your question! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Is there such thing as an Irish staff? Empty Re: Is there such thing as an Irish staff?

Post by shakespearesdog Fri Jun 03 2011, 21:02

I have to get my tupenny in. Irish staffs are not pitbulls! They are taller, leaner staffords, with longer heads too. I believe they came about by crossing staffies with lurchers. I have several times met irish staffords and they look NOTHING like pitbulls, they look like very tall, slim staffords. One I met recently was a good 25 inch tall and from a distance i thought it was a labrador. Pitbulls are built a lot differently, blockier heads and heavier ears and a thicker bone structure in general.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by bluelagoon Sat Jun 04 2011, 01:27

well as far is i know, the kennel club only name the breed "Staffordshire Bull terrier"!! with there own specifiacaton.
Along with liver coloured the "taller" staffs are what the kennel club label "undesirable" as they show signs of cross breed.
bluelagoon
bluelagoon
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Clyde and Bonnie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yo and 6mo
Dog Gender(s) : Male and female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Jun 05 2011, 11:37

If they are not registered they have no pedigree and are a cross, so irish staffs are not recognised and are no breed.
But people are gullible and pay breeders huge amounts for cross bred dogs the whole point of paying for a good bred dog is that you know what your getting and have the proof of ancestors.
Would people pay £400 for a staffy crossed lurcher
But they may fall in the trap and pay £400 for a irish staffy with papers????? and I bet the lurcher isnt named on that pedigree its made up as its gone along.
If I was lookig for a puppy I would rather pay £450 for a kc registered puppy well bred then £200-£300 for a cross breed Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Is there such thing as an Irish staff? Empty an Irish staff?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 11:45

A staffie x lurcher, you mean like the black one.

So I've got an Irish Stafford have I?

Is there such thing as an Irish staff? 431
Is there such thing as an Irish staff? 432

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 05 2011, 15:59

Definition of an irish staff - a staff born and bred in ireland - simples! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Jun 09 2011, 17:32

bella is talking a breed call a irish staffy wich is a made up name for a cross breed Wink

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 22:41

Here's a little quote from a book by Shaun Barker called "Staffordshire Bull Terriers, English and Irish"....

"Throughout the years we have spent the time perfecting, call it molding, a pure-at-heart, natural working form of Stafford. The breed name was put up with many others at a committee meeting back in 1990 and was voted in by the vast majority. Previous to this meeting they were known as OLD TIME STAFFORD’S because of the pit bull issues, we started to preserve the pure bloodlines of the Irish Stafford so as it would not get mixed up with any other breed. To date there are only 372 pure bred and registered Irish Staffords in the world, yet we see hundreds for sale !."

The dogs he is talking about are not Kennel Club (English or Irish) registered and so are basically classified as cross breeds. They have their own registry and are very jealous of where their pups go, so the chances of anyone seeing a genuine Irish Staff on sale to the general public are virtually zero!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Jun 09 2011, 22:51

was he the President of S.l.B.T.C becasue that website as somethign to do with ed reid he spend all his life with pitbulls or somethings

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 23:00

Yes. He says they're not pit bulls, but 'high performance' staffs and bull terriers.

Whether they're what he says they are or not, they're not KC registered and are, basically, crosses! Most of them look like whippet crosses, which is fine if that's what you've been looking for. But if you're looking for a proper staff, don't look there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Jun 09 2011, 23:04

Intercontinental kennal club that what their dogs are register but if the police come knocking at your door they only want to see KC papers

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Jun 09 2011, 23:09

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=33312

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 09 2011, 23:15

The Intercontinental Kennel Club has no links with any reputable KC. It was set up purely to register dogs that the other Kennel Clubs wouldn't touch!

Any papers issued by them are, basically, worthless.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Thu Jun 09 2011, 23:22

Dodgey with a capital d no talking
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down