Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries?

+7
janey
Deverill
shakespearesdog
youngkaiser
Steve
gem
Rascal1980
11 posters

Go down

Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Empty Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries?

Post by Rascal1980 Wed Jun 01 2011, 21:50

Hi there,

I am 37 with a partner, we have two young boys aged 13 and 5. We were looking out for a family dog..A lab or springer. We had also contacted allot of re-homing centers.

long story short this place had a bitch who had been dumped with full litter, if it wasn't fostered it was going to be destroyed.http://www.homes4dogs.co.uk/

they mailed me with some puppies, myself and partner and two boys adored them and we new mum was a staff cross and what great family dogs staffs can be etc etc. We were still curious as to what dad was, as he is getting bigger id quite happily put a wager that he has some pitbull in him after further research, which again if treated well, loved and trained properly i do not feel over concerned. Should we be?

Could someone kindly advise firstly if we are correct and secondly where we stand legally, there are no papers for dad so the rescue center would not of known? The boys are already attached to the dog as are we. Concerns that he could be picked up and tested and really do not know 100% where we stand, he has been chipped, has been to vets, has insurance etc. we done everything by the book so far. Any advice greatly appreciated.

heres some pics of our dog

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/38/29566760.jpg/

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/36/dsc00138lq.jpg/

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/846/dsc00132gm.jpg/

then i found these, sorry even at 12 weeks he is so so similiar, BUT im no expert

http://www.askspikeonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/pit-bull-puppy1.jpg?w=300

http://qpups.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/med_blue_pit_bull.jpg

http://www.1petloversworld.com/images/pitbull%20dog.jpg

http://www.dogbreedsaz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/American_2DPit_2DBull_2DTerrier_2Ddog26_small.jpg

even as a pup he looked exactly like a red nose american pitbull

http://www.dogguide.net/dog-pictures/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/32.jpg

The resemblance is uncanny from the 8 wks we have had him to the 12 and boy has he grown lol! Help!!! Just do not want any legal surprises, make extra sure we train this lil fella by the book and have all the boxes ticked (twice over). Last thing we want is a family dog then for someone to say oh so and so has a pit bull a year down the line and the poor thing tested and put down.

I phoned up the foster woman and when i mentioned pit bull she was very cagey and rattled. I was very polite but needed some answers. I didn't get many other than mum had been dumped, picked up by warden with a full litter then onto the home above. she fostered because the dog was going to be put down

Many thanks
Rascal

Last edited by Rascal1980 on Wed Jun 01 2011, 21:55; edited 1 time in total

Rascal1980
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Empty Re: Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01 2011, 21:55

Was the foster home chosen by a proper rescue centre, or was it a private fostering?

Back to top Go down

Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Empty Re: Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:03

Hi & Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Icon_arrow Here are a list of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Icon_arrow You can ask for help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:06

Not a lot anyone can say really only staffordshire bull terriers have a standard and some dont conform to that so maybe crossed.
Pit bull terriers have a standard and some dont conform so crossed.
Because of were your dog came from you will never know but if you have your vet on side and you bring up the dog well then it will be the many staffy crosses out there.
Sorry but its the reallity of the law these days and most are reported by neighbours ect and there is not much you can do Sad
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:06

it's very unlikey to be a pitbull, you can cross a number of dogs to get a similar dog to pitbull.

it may fall under a type wich any dog can if it doen't have KC papers.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:07

He might have a bit of Labrador in him, there much more common than Pitbulls but just make a staff look bigger.

I read loads on here about crosses with Pitbulls but i've never seen one in the flesh there not as common as people suggest

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:11

he does have the pitbull look to him but im not sure as said when they are crossed they can look like pitbull types but aint actually one my neighbour bought a staffy which im convinced is a staffy x pit but he is lovely not to big though he is on the smaller side also i know people who thought they were buying a staffy and ended up with a full bred pitbull once it has grown and they realised and there great dogs. I think you can register pitbulls so then they would have to be muzzled in public and tattooed dont know how you stand with having children though with tthat one. I wouldnt worry to much though becuase chances are it might not be crossed with a apbt
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Rascal1980 Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:11

Thanks fro the reply

Hmmm private i think, in fact im sure.. something didnt feel right.

to be honest it was all a bit strange, we only needed a photograph of our garden, we could of just got one of the net. No vetting of us was done. the pups were dirty.Just felt like they wanted the £150 to be quite frank. I will phone the homes for dogs tomorrow and ask them. i have never owned a dog before (my partner has, rottys and staffs etc) and we did not take on the responsibilty of a dog lightly, but perhaps i should of done more ground work? we drove all the way to Cambridge,all had our eyes on this lil fella, we went to cage of pups and bold as brass he came straight upto us, face covered in crap... We took him cleaned him and made him part of the family!

many thanks and warmest regards
Rascal

ps some other posts popped up, fosterer things mum was staff/lab? any give away lol thanks all really helpful stuff!

Rascal1980

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:16

I only asked because had it been a proper rescue centre they would always have backed you up with the phrase "Staffordshire Bull Terrier Cross!"

If I were you, I'd get my story straight now (and all your family). He's a stafford x labrador. Very plausable, and unless he's done something horrendously wrong, nobody will normally bother to check any further!

I agree that a trip to the vets to register him as a stafford x labrador (just tell the vets that!) will be helpful. At least then you will have an official document to say what he is.

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:16

Are you from the uk? There are loads of pitbull 'types' running around, and i must say absolutely none of them are true american pitbull terriers. They are mongrels, bred to LOOK like apbt. Some don't even have staffy in them! There useally a combo of gundog and various bull and mastiff breeds.
I personally wouldn't worry. Where i live i see an awful lot of 'pitbulls' and unless your going around in a balaclava and setting it on old ladies very few people are going to question you. He looks like a typical out of standard staffy/labrador/mastiff mix with possibly even a bit of visla thrown in. If you ever get asked don't even mention hes a 'staffy'. Say hes a mutt or a cross. If hes well behaved and a loving family dog i really doubt you'll get asked.
Best of luck!

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:21

there are number of breeds you can cross to get a dog to look like a pit, lab x boxer, american bulldog X lab, bull terrier x staffy i could go on

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rascal1980 Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:22

Its just this face, ours is lighter 9tan) but that is him EXACTLY! eye's, ears, mouth and the look! Spiting image

http://www.askspikeonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/pit-bull-puppy1.jpg?w=300

lets say he has got PB in him and someone reports, as long as he hasnt bitten or shown any aggression would they test and if positive be put down? im thinking of our two lads here, and us of course. If its hard to prove. we just say hes staff cross, bring up extra well,extra careful and go with it?

Hmm not sure here Sad

Rascal1980

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Deverill Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:22

Personally I would get the dog tested as if you didn't and the dog were to attack In A public place then be tested and found to be a pit bull, you could end up with a prison sentence.

Also as the dog grows and say your out in the park and someone grasses you up as suspected pit bull and the dog is tested and you didn't have a muzzle on or the dog was off the lead you can still get into trouble.

If your not sure, then firstly I would keep the dog muzzled and on a lead in public places until you make your next move.

You may want to read - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/65/contents

I'd rather be sure than not,

Just my 2cents

Deverill
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:23

i know alot of people are breeding X's Dogue de Bordeaux & making out they are red nose pits

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rascal1980 Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:26

People many thanks, we have papers from re-homing center saying staff cross, we will cover at the vets aswell, hes a staffy/lab cross and maybe some other heinz varieties and we will leave it at that and just bring up well! As we fully intended!

I think most of my my fears have been eluded and some great advice, appreciated!

I got the message ;0

Cheers
Rascal

heres one when he was 8 weeks old

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/854/woof1.jpg/

Last edited by Rascal1980 on Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:31; edited 1 time in total

Rascal1980

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Deverill Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:28

Be sure to post some more piccys as he grows! He is a lovely looking dog!

Deverill

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:28

telling you the true hes very unlikey to be pitbull i will put money on it, if you bring the dog up the right way you wont have a problem.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01 2011, 22:52

Steve wrote:telling you the true hes very unlikey to be pitbull i will put money on it, if you bring the dog up the right way you wont have a problem.

I agree with steve and wud put money on it too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Wed Jun 01 2011, 23:04

May i just say that even if he was a pure blooded pitbull it doesn't automatically mean hes more inherently aggressive then any other breed. Please don't believe the media hype and hysteria. Just because hes a pitbull (and i don't believe he is) doesn't mean he'll be leaping for your childrens faces and biting chunks out of them first chance you get. That said you should not leave him unsupervised with your kids, as you shouldn't leave ANY breed.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Jun 02 2011, 00:04

Nothing wrong with a heinz varitey! Just look at Moo Wink
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 00:06

janey wrote:Nothing wrong with a heinz varitey! Just look at Moo Wink

I think Heinz is the best varitey xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 15:40

.. what ever breed he has in him.. he looks a darling!! Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 02 2011, 16:21

so cute

Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyq505 Thu Jun 02 2011, 20:38

First, your pup is super cute! second call him what you want, who's to say different? (other than the law, but give him love and you won't have any issues). At the shelter I see soooooo many variations of APBT is crazy, I bet only 5% of the dogs labeled pits are actually pits at all. We have 3 supposed pit crosses and Emma what we call a Staffy. One is a red nose and other than his thicker fur, he falls right in line and the other merled boy is a little too lean and tall to be full blooded. Other than testing who knows and that isn't a "for sure" either. PS..I think all the pups look very similar when they are young..too hard to tell

Fritz the red nose
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? IMG_20110522_174800-1
Fritz at 8-10 weeks
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? 100_1702copy

Pinto the tall boy
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? IMG_20110411_114509-1

Tulip the "pit/shep cross
Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? IMG_20110522_181708-1
suzyq505
suzyq505

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Emma, Fritz, Tulip, Bean
Dog Gender(s) : Female, Male, Female, Female

Back to top Go down

Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? Empty oh what fun

Post by Rascal1980 Thu Jun 02 2011, 23:20

First of all thanks everyone for there help support, this is all new ground to me and whilst committed to the cause im struggling a lil with the morale maze and legal side SHOULD he be ID as a Pit.

freinds are saying now he looks pit, im also good freinds with a copper who said he looks pit ( i may be able to get some advice here too)

One thing i cant get clear in my head in terms of "dangerous" how is an APBT any more dangerous than a staff,german shepard, rotty etc etc? The APBT has a great temperment and is a great famil dog in the right hands.

And im sure im right in saying any dog can off at any point, they all came from wolves. I would assume the pit been banned for getting into the wrong hands and poorly handled..

Anyway i'm seeking expert advice on whether he is or not, DNA ive heard is not great from a pet bull rescue expert. The guy who designed the gong thing is great with pits and ive asked for help there too. forgot his name
Straight Face

Heres some more pics i may be being paranoid but im 90% convinced hes coming back positive, if our lads get to attached and a sh&&ty neighbour complains or the dog has a fight with another dog, we going have blue come knocking and clashes over 15 years are ineveitable.

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/824/dsc00155au.jpg/
https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/534/dsc00147db.jpg/
https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/827/dsc00160bc.jpg/
https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/191/dsc00145p.jpg/

Internet ABPT

Just seems a lil to close for comfort to me

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/8325943/2/istockphoto_8325943-tan-pitbull-terrier-looking-focused.jpg

http://images04.olx.com/ui/1/28/07/3512107_2.jpg

http://www.digitaldesktopwallpaper.com/wallpapers/photos8/american-pitbull-face-wallp.jpg

If he is i assume these are my options after discussing with partner

a) we register and have to muzzle/lead him everytime hes out ( not happy with this not fair on the dog)
b) we send back to the rescue center- they have assured me no healthy dog gets put down.
c) the vet has him marked as staff cross, i try to get rehoming place to register as a staff-terrier cross and vet the same and we take extra care caution and go with this. If blue do turn up at least we have two lots of paperwork. Also any agresssion shown towards the kids etc he would have to go
d) Our dog escapes get passed on ( i have plently of contacts in wealthy rural areas that may want him, we would vet them and agree to see dog once a week or two etc and we pass him on as his papers say staffy x?

morale maze this one, we want the dog hes lovely, boys love to bits. Must follow through the poss pit cross as people have said and to me its a lil close.

feel free to contact me if you feel you can help or offer some advice please, or post here

once again thx all!

Ps one of these pups went to Buckinham palace lol, both rescue center and staff/pit bull lady explained this... as a gardeners dog or similiar id guess. Wasnt BS

roll on Friday

Big Grin

Rascal1980

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by BellaBluebell Fri Jun 03 2011, 00:23

Just wanted to say i think he is absolutely stunning!! I know i wouldnt be able to let him go on the off chance he might be seen as a pitt type, if it were me i would just make extra sure i bring him up to be the best dog EVER so there wouldnt ever be any reason to complain.
BellaBluebell
BellaBluebell
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bella Bluebell(staff) Phoebe(am cocker) Pippa(cav) William(cav)
Dog Gender(s) : 3 bitches 1 dog

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Fri Jun 03 2011, 20:08

If I was you Id go with c poor boy just wants a good home with people who love him and if he were mine he would be brought up well and be with me for the rest of his days Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri Jun 03 2011, 20:22

Rascal1980 i dont think you listening to me, becasue your pup look abit like pitbull it's doen't mean he is doh any cross breed can look like a pit for crying out load.

i hope you not going around saying you have a pit becasue you will get in trouble.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03 2011, 20:24

I too would go for c. I wouldn't take him back to the rescue, especially if he hasn't done anything wrong. Just love him and train him well and keep him under control when you're out so noone gets a chance to label him as aggressive. He deserves a good home, give himthat and he'll reward you by being a good dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Jun 03 2011, 20:32

Steve wrote:Rascal1980 i dont think you listening to me, becasue your pup look abit like pitbull it's doen't mean he is doh any cross breed can look like a pit for crying out load.

As Steve said a cross is a cross, Moo is. I really can't get why you are worrying so much!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by fourstaffs Fri Jun 03 2011, 22:08

relax take a look at mine all three are full ped staff i no both mum and dad dogs and ppl say hay ther pits most ppl would no one if they fell over it
hes(your pup) a staffy cross and since the dangures dogs act and the mass put down that came hand in hand with that (ps am totaly not for breed specific legislation)
most dog thet a minnortiy of ppl what and do tell ppl they pits are cross bred to look like pit (staffxgoldenlab staffxdoge de bordoux staffxmasstif staffxbull terrier etc etc )dont worry look after him bring him up right and call him what you whant how many pits do you see walking abuat i saw abuat 3 today and thay all still walking abuat past ppl and cso and not bean put down cus thay are on a lead and well behavie
ps he a cute looking dog think of whats best for him
the ginger one is the one ppl say is a pit but not his brother all the same literr
[img]Our new family dog-cross breed APBT worries? DSCF1003[/img]

fourstaffs
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : william,harry,gorgie,bella
Dog Gender(s) : malex3,female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rascal1980 Sat Jun 04 2011, 14:05

janey wrote:
Steve wrote:Rascal1980 i dont think you listening to me, becasue your pup look abit like pitbull it's doen't mean he is doh any cross breed can look like a pit for crying out load.

As Steve said a cross is a cross, Moo is. I really can't get why you are worrying so much!

OK Heres how this come about, 2 friends have said pit (they are dog owners and one has two staffs) one of his had a look but has had no problem.

If people are saying it and i reckon he does look like it i gotta sort it now rather then some * of a neighbour or another stupid dog owner lets his/her rotty unleashed come hurling to my dog! Then the lads could lose there dog?

I may jut do what your saying but make my lad aware, if i can get someone like DR mugford on board and as mush paperowrk as i can. Im juts trying to cover the dogs *. From what i gather its a few mesurement checks, eye check and any doubt plod take him in to an unknown location and it can drag for upto 3 years.

Lots of dogs on my estate, only take me to * off one neighbour. Have a doggy bust up! Just rather not have that hanging over my head. If no one had said to me ABPT (more than once) id have never have worried, not concerned about it breed hes adorable and he will get 110%. what i am worried about is further down the line. Hes a pup now he may grow outta that lok or grow into it. We had him 4 weeks we all attached and as time goes on the bond grows stronger. Must be able to see my dilema? i dont want the thought of him going if all the checks the plod do all match upto my dog. eyes, between ears to snout, then to nose. I have spoken to lady who deals with PB siezed by the police. not looking to rosy so far. And yer your right if id keep me gob shut just said staff/lab wouldnt be here now, my partner is a child carer. She must know. Family first dog next in line

Ill fight it tooth and nail to keep him, but i gotta do it by the book!

thanks

Rascal1980

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jun 04 2011, 14:19

becasue your friends said it a pit he got to be one.....FGS at wits end i think you wishing it is pitbull so you can brag about it.

to me it's a cross breed nothing else just a cross breed, not many people have a true pits in the uk becasue the breeder who do have them dont want john doe to have them.

if you want to go by the book go to the police and say yopu have a pitbull Wink your dog will be took off you & will be fine around £5000 or face time inside.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Sat Jun 04 2011, 17:02

you have to ask yourself do you want the dog or not plain and simple , no amount of paper work will stop the dog being what it is.

its a wee puppy , 6 months down the line it will look nothing like it does now .

people will always speculate . no-one knows . either love the dog or re-home it if you aint sure , but for me you have'nt got an apbt .
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 18:21

As steve says u havent got a apbt .....u have a cross breed mongrel that may once fully grown conform to "pit type" as so many cross breeds do. Do u get what im saying?! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Rascal1980 Sat Jun 04 2011, 19:32

Ok i got message, stop fretting and just make a decison one way or other

We have a staffxlab simple as

Or we rehome him, i wont be rehoming unless hes positively ID.

and Steve with all due respect mate im a 37 year old father, last thing i want is to be walking round a pit with a purple and black shell suit swinging a chavvy scum swagger!!!!!!!!!! Wink

We got the dog cos we liked the look and circumstances he came..simple as .......

Rascal1980

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat Jun 04 2011, 19:40

you will never get a positively id without knowing his full background.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Jun 04 2011, 20:01

A cross is a cross, stop fretting, its how they are bought up. Just make a decsion because your pup will be able to feel you apprehension. Your never going to get a clarification of the pup, its a cross! Honestly, mine wouldn't conform to a typical Staff, but thats what she is, a staff cross x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 21:23

My Charlie looked like an English Mastiff when he was young and now looks much more like a staff. They change so much as they grow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rascal1980 Sat Jun 04 2011, 22:05

Im all for keeping the dog, prob is its very grey

my partner who was bringing up the pup works full time as a child minder, she isnt 100% happy with this. i can understand.

i work full time so thats not fair on the lil fella. to be left alone for so long

allot of you have dogs that look v similiar to mine and have no issues, id go for it , drop it and staff x here on in.

lets face it if all these staffs were dna'd they likely to have a pb somewhere along the line. The whole things b'ollocks cos of something that happened in leeds in 2009!

the APBT has a better temperament than an G.retreiver for crying out loud. Im with ya all here. Just dont want our lads dogs taken away sometime in the next 15 years and we have pikey sites around in kent. We gonna have to be extra careful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APBT

Temperament
The APBT is a breed that is loyal to friends and family, and is generally friendly towards strangers. Many have strong instincts to chase and seize cats and other fleeing creatures, including deer and livestock (prey drive).[7] As with any dog breed, proper training and socialization at an early age is a must. According to the UKC, "aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable."[8]
The American Temperament Testing Society shows a pass percentage of 86% for American Pit Bull Terriers as opposed to the Golden Retriever with a temperament of 84.9%.[9] American Pit Bull Terriers generally have a lot of energy and benefit from exercise and stimulation to channel their energy properly and avoid becoming frustrated, bored, or destructive

i do have a full back, i have a friend who is a staff lover. has two great dogs (one who looked a bit apt and grew out of it, one didnt) and knows what hes doing, if i get stuck in a corner i do have a get out of jail free card to ensure that this lovely lil lad gets a good home and we can visit etc.

Rascal1980

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 04 2011, 22:11

Honestly just don't worry about it. I bet that at least half of the staffs on this forum fall under 'pit type', mine prob does, but I don't worry because I've raised him well, he's very well socialised and is very obedient.

As you've just shown, pits are very good family dogs, and are just victims of the same bad press that staffies get, so if it turns out that he does have a bit of pit in him (I'm 99.9% sure he doesn't), thats no reason to give him up. As long as you raise him well, train him and socialise him and keep him under control when you're out with him, you shouldn't have any problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down