Raw meaty bones diet for a pup

Go down

Raw meaty bones diet for a pup Empty Raw meaty bones diet for a pup

Post by Deverill Mon May 30 2011, 10:31

When I get this pup I want to give it a rAw meaty bone diet, but I have a few questions.

I've read a few threads on the forum about this diet and found a few links to be very useful but there's still a few things I'm unsure about.

Ok I'm going to get this pup at about 8 weeks so I'm assuming it's going to be on some food from the breeders by then. If I'm going to put her onto raw meaty bone diet, is it relevant that I get some of there food to gradually switcher over or is this only necessary for other tinned/biscuit food?

From what I've read I'm assuming it's probably best to start off with a chicken carcass as the bones are softer? Oh would the pup cope with lamb bones etc at 8 weeks.

I have read through this - http://www.rawmeatybones.com/diet/exp-diet-guide.pdf

But the portion control is more relevant to adults.

What should I be giving a pup? As I've read that pups have 3-4 meals a day but I don't know how that transfers to bones. And how much is too much? I.e is half a chicken carcass too much or too little for a feed? Would the pup have that once, twice, three times a day. As you can tell I'm a Little confused regarding how much food to give.

What I was thinking of doing was getting raw meaty bones and some offal and splitting the offal onto golf sized balls portions as Ive read that offal shouldn't make up no more than 50% of their diet.

I was thinking when giving a feed to give a bone and a golf ball sized amount of offal? Is that ok? Or unesscary? Just thought the pup might like some easy meat.

Any help and calcification would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Jade

Deverill
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tizzy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Raw meaty bones diet for a pup Empty Re: Raw meaty bones diet for a pup

Post by Guest Mon May 30 2011, 22:27

I would always switch over slowly, although I know of a couple of EBT breeders who advocate a straight swap.

When we got Dempsey we changed him over gradually by firstly introducing raw beef/lamb/pork/tripe mince as well as the kibble that he was on before. I didn't introduce bones until he started to teeth.

As to the amounts, I think if you gradually change over you get to know how much they need, just by watching them eat, and seeing if they're putting on weight or losing it. I've always hated weighing out food as I think they're all different, with different sizes, metabolisms & excercise regimes!

Back to top Go down