REHOMING MY BELOVED FEMALE STAFF! HELP NEEDED

+2
Steve
Lozpops
6 posters

Go down

REHOMING MY BELOVED FEMALE STAFF! HELP NEEDED Empty REHOMING MY BELOVED FEMALE STAFF! HELP NEEDED

Post by Lozpops Wed Apr 09 2014, 20:41

Hi, I have never posted in here before but I would like some help if possible.

We have 2 beautiful staffies, 1 male and 1 female. We have come to the difficult decision due to personal circumstances with family and work commitments that we are going to try and find a new home for our female Xena.

The reason being that she is a dog that craves long walks, lots of running around off lead and chasing toys etc, which with our current situation is increasingly becoming something we can't give her. Our male dog Vinnie is quite content (he is older) to walk on lead with the occasional run around the field but with Xena this is not the case.

She is 7 in September, and is a very obedient, sweet natured loving dog who craves affection and your approval. She is trained off lead, house trained and is OK on lead (in this I mean she does pull a little because she is typically an off lead lover.)

We are looking for someone who can offer her what we can't, big walks regularly. She is great with our 1 year old son, she adores him and she is good with other dogs that we have introduced her to (although admittedly we don't walk with any other dogs)

Does anyone know anybody who would be looking for an older dog and if so would they be interested in meeting Xena and seeing if you can offer her the loving home she deserves? We would obviously like to meet and chat before committing to anyone as we aren't wanting to give her to just anyone, we need to ensure she will be looked after and loved!

MANY THANKS!

Lozpops
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

REHOMING MY BELOVED FEMALE STAFF! HELP NEEDED Empty Re: REHOMING MY BELOVED FEMALE STAFF! HELP NEEDED

Post by Steve Wed Apr 09 2014, 20:43

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

REHOMING MY BELOVED FEMALE STAFF! HELP NEEDED Empty Re: REHOMING MY BELOVED FEMALE STAFF! HELP NEEDED

Post by janey Wed Apr 09 2014, 21:03

Is this really something you can not work with? There are so many dogs in rescue shelters, and how come she is 7 and you have only just come to this decision?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 09 2014, 21:12

i could never give up a dog specially after 7 years

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozpops Wed Apr 09 2014, 21:33

I have a 1 year old boy and after losing his business my other half had to get a new job which involves working away all week and coming home on weekends and unfortunately I can't walk two dogs and a 1 year old.

I won't be taking her to a rescue shelter, the only way she will be rehomed (as above) is if we can find someone who can give her what she needs. We don't want to let her go, but I also think it's selfish to try and keep her when she is not being fulfilled.

but thank you for all your helpful advice in this difficult situation.

Lozpops

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 09 2014, 21:43

I work full time and manage to keep a dog! There are things that can help like walkers. Sorry but having a 1year old son is no reason to re-home a dog after 6 years, I can not understand the logic. Sorry to hear about your business but I would have thought if you lost it you would have more time to spend with the dog?

If you are re-homing then the best way is a rescue shelter, is she spayed?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozpops Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:00

I didn't realise I would be explaining my personal situation... My partner lost the business that he works for meaning he had to get another job because at the time I was 9 months pregnant - he works away all week. I don't work at the moment as I am studying for a degree as well as being a mum full time, however as i said i cannot walk the 2 dogs and my son at the same time. Yes she is spayed.

I don't mean to sound blunt - but I wasn't asking for judgement, my mother in law took on a 10 year old dog a couple of years ago as the owner was unable to walk her, the dog is extremely happy and much more fulfilled than in it's original home. I just want to make sure my dog is content.

However the last resort would be rehoming and if walkers can be an option it would be worth looking into, do you know where the best place to look for someone could be? I am not sure if financially it would be an option but definitely worth looking into first.

Lozpops

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozpops Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:04

I just had a quick look around my area and one place charges £11 per hour, does this sound excessive? As this would be £200+ per month.

Lozpops

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:08

Sorry - maybe I came across a bit harsh but as I only rescue it really upsets me, and there is always a solution if you want it. Moo came to work with me when I first rescued her, after 2 years I lost that job and started a new 9 till 5 where she couldn't come, I got walkers/family and friends to help and as she was slightly older being 4 she settled into a different routine. Can you not walk them separately, I understand I haven't kids but 2 trips to the park can't be bad?! Honestly hun, they adapt so well and you can cope, well I hope you can x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozpops Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:21

No it's ok, I completely understand the rescue situation, which is why I was hoping to find someone through a friend or someone we knew.

If we had just 1 dog obviously the situation would be totally different. I could try walking them separately I suppose, but ideally I would like them to be walked regularly. I think i'll look into a walker first of all see how that goes.

x

Lozpops

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:28

dont you have family member or friend who can help

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lozpops Wed Apr 09 2014, 22:43

No they all work the only person with time to do so is my father in law and he has arthritis in his knee and can hardly walk a mile Sad

I'll keep looking into other options

Lozpops

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Thu Apr 10 2014, 02:55

Have you tried upping Xenas trick training? Mental stimulation can be much more exhausting for them otherwise if you have a garden how about getting/making some agility equipment just weave poles and a jump or two can wear her out a bit more at home

Hope you can work something out I pay £10 an hour for a dog walker or £9 a day for doggy day care
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Apr 10 2014, 14:09

This broke my heart, 7 years old is not a good age to be rehomed at, there are so many dogs looking for a home and a lot of them are younger and still can't be rehomed. I beg you to reconsider, she would be so confused and distressed if you gave her up Sad

Dog walkers are a great solution, I used to pay £10 for an hours walk/run and Axl used to come home soooooo tired.

Please don't give up on her yet there's so much you can do before even considering rehoming, like throw a ball around in your back garden or look into getting a flirt pole or something to occupy her with, even those little balls that you put treats in can stimulate her mentally, sometimes mental stimulation can fill the gaps when you can't walk her as much.

At 7 years old I can imagine she's so well behaved and the best place for her is with you, her family, that's what she deserves Smile
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 10 2014, 19:23

Have you considered contact a volunteer centre, sometimes people will offer to walk dogs for free, the people would have been vetted by the centre first.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down