Any other allergy signs to watch out for ?

5 posters

Go down

Any other allergy signs to watch out for ? Empty Any other allergy signs to watch out for ?

Post by djstratton Tue Mar 11 2014, 02:21

So after being told from his previous owner that Marquez was allergic to chicken, we realised that we had been feeding him eggs with his meats and he seems to be just fine with it. What we realised is that with our other dogs with chicken allergies, eggs were off limits too but we just didn't think of that until I was reading a post on FB with someone mentioning that the two usually go hand in hand. Now with our past dogs, their reaction was major skin bumps like hives but other than that, they never really scratched or seem bothered by them.

So on sunday we decided to test our chicken theory and see what would happen. When we ordered our NZ beef cuts from our raw supplier, they also sent two packs of chicken mince (no other ingredients, fillers, preservatives, etc) - one high protein and other high calcium. I sent them an email asking what the difference was and I was assuming with the high calcium one, that they've got a higher bone %. I was right about the the high calcium (real bone and joints, no artificial calcium) and the high protein only had egg added to it. She did mention that some owners who thought their dogs had chicken sensitivities were absolutely fine with these two products. I picked up some chicken wings as well and he absolutely loves them and there was no problem with throwing them back up like he did with the rabbit.

So far he's had no reactions that I can see - skin still looks perfect but I'm wondering if there are other things I should look out for. He's not scratching anymore than usual (think he's still going through the detox) either.
djstratton
djstratton
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marquez
Dog(s) Ages : 18 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 119

Back to top Go down

Any other allergy signs to watch out for ? Empty Re: Any other allergy signs to watch out for ?

Post by Guest Tue Mar 11 2014, 04:57

Sounds like "so far so good!" We don't get as much choice over here for raw so chicken was a main ingredient for us until I noticed both my two coming out in the bumps. I cut back drastically on the chicken and the bumps and itchiness have subsided substantially. Another symptom I guess to look out for would be dry, flaky skin. Good luck with the diet - sounds like you're doing great!

Back to top Go down

Any other allergy signs to watch out for ? Empty Re: Any other allergy signs to watch out for ?

Post by djstratton Tue Mar 11 2014, 05:57

RoxysMum wrote:Sounds like "so far so good!" We don't get as much choice over here for raw so chicken was a main ingredient for us until I noticed both my two coming out in the bumps. I cut back drastically on the chicken and the bumps and itchiness have subsided substantially. Another symptom I guess to look out for would be dry, flaky skin. Good luck with the diet - sounds like you're doing great!

I'm also taking the lack of bumps as a good sign and no flaky skin as yet. Suppose all I can do at the moment is keep an eye on him to see if they are any changes Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Tue Mar 11 2014, 10:46

I think it is quite often itchy ears and feet as well? I hope all goes well with the chicken for Marquez Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Tue Mar 11 2014, 10:50

Bane wrote:I think it is quite often itchy ears and feet as well? I hope all goes well with the chicken for Marquez Smile
Thanks for that - will keep and eye out for these too Smile
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Tue Mar 11 2014, 11:47

Bumps is the biggest one. Using the toliet more often is often a sign as well. If their body can not process the food they will poop more frequently. Well at least Suki did.
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Mar 11 2014, 11:53

Runny eyes too x
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by djstratton Tue Mar 25 2014, 00:44

Ok its been a couple of weeks since we started the chicken mince we were given by our meat supplier and I've also been giving him chicken bone and wings as well and the good thing is that he didn't come up with any bumps that my previous dogs experienced with their allergies. What I have notices is that he did seem to scratch a lot more than usual and kept biting at his feet and scratching at his ears which was resulting in giving himself little scabs on the sides of his face. No flaky skin although the eyes did start running again.
I'm going to stop the chicken including the eggs and just go back to what he was eating before (beef, ox, pork and lamb) and see if the scratching lessens.
djstratton
djstratton

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25 2014, 04:23

Sounds like you're figuring it all out Diane. Hope the itching/paw biting stops soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBuller Sun May 25 2014, 13:55

Anyone else got a staffy with an egg allergy? My little boy only has to lick out his brothers bowl when he's had an egg and Jack vomits within 5 mins. We've learned not to leave the bowl down when his brother (who is a staffy ridgeback cross) has done eating.

JBuller
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down