flowerbud
Sazzle
Kathy
VikkiGT4
JStaff
moisy_buster
16 posters

Go down

Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Empty Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy

Post by moisy_buster Tue Mar 04 2014, 03:22

Hi all... hoping you lovely folk can help me with an issue that's suddenly surfaced within the last 4-5 months or so.  And I apologise in advance for the long-winded post.  My 11 year old Buster the Wonderdog has started developing anxiety issues which I don't necessarily attribute to separation, but more like a "spoilt child" behaviour.  Buster has had the run of the living areas of the house since we've had him (from 8 weeks), and he's always been extremely well behaved and rarely acts up.  He has his doggie door which he can go in and out of through the day, and he's always been very content to vegetate on the couch when I head out to work each morning.  I have lunch with him most days, and then leave again for work.  I've never had any issues with him getting anxious about being on his own.  But for some reason he's suddenly started getting very naughty if I've gone out somewhere without him (this could be me heading out to the shops, or going out to dinner for a couple of hours).  His access has always been limited to just the living areas, so there's no changes there.  In fact, there has been absolutely no change to his routine or surrounds at all.  When I come home I find that he's dragged all the cushions off the chairs and has also scratched them up.  He seems to jump from chair to chair given the state of them when I get home.  After I've returned home he's completely stressed and gives me that look as if he knows he's done something wrong.  I don't punish him as I can't see the point given he's so stressed out already (I certainly don't reward him though!).  He'll run outside and roll and roll on the grass before doing laps of the garden - it appears that he's trying to find a way to cool himself off (?).  He's turned into a stress-head after I return from going out.  His behaviour is almost like he's punishing me for leaving him (but he's never like this throughout the day).  I'm not completely sure it's separation anxiety as he's fine throughout the day.  Any suggestions or advice anyone can offer would be extremely helpful.  I will add that he's never been crated (and never will be), so with all due respect I won't consider that as an option.   Thanks all.
moisy_buster
moisy_buster
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Buster
Dog(s) Ages : 11
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Empty Re: Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy

Post by JStaff Tue Mar 04 2014, 06:20

That's a difficult situation. I went through the same thing with my last dog as well. She was completly used to being by herself with no issues and then all of a sudden she started destructive behaviour when left alone. I attributed it to old age and made sure to exercise her before I left and ensured that she had everything she needed. After a week or so she was back to normal and I just attributed it to old age. Don't know if this helps or not though.
JStaff
JStaff
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Empty Re: Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy

Post by VikkiGT4 Tue Mar 04 2014, 08:57

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and the zoo Smile xx

Could be old age. Knox has his moments where he'll jump all over the sofa and scrabble at it scratching in, and throwing his covers all over the room, even sometimes peeing in the process!

Hope you get it sorted Smile x
VikkiGT4
VikkiGT4
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Support Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Knox (RIP baby boy <3)
Support total : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Tue Mar 04 2014, 10:28

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Could be a few things, when did he last have a check up from the vets ?, it may be fading eyesight or hearing which is causing the sudden change in behaviour and he is panicking about something.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Mar 04 2014, 12:52

Hi & Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Icon_arrow How to update your Profile information
Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Icon_arrow Make a Donation to help us to keep improving our forum and website.
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Mar 04 2014, 12:53

Hi and welcome from me and Daisy  Big Grin Maybe a health check is a good idea?
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by flowerbud Tue Mar 04 2014, 14:42

Agree with a health check first.
Another thing you could try is to set up a video recorder in the living room to see what he is actually doing. Even if you cant always see him in it you should be able to hear. Also you may pick up a sound or something that is upsetting him.
flowerbud
flowerbud

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Alfie
Dog(s) Ages : 2yrs
Support total : 738

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04 2014, 15:13

Hiya from me and Vinnie, cant add anything to whats already been suggested. Definitely a health check would eliminate any underlying problems  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sara n Ozzy Tue Mar 04 2014, 17:47

Hi and welcome from Ozzy and me, I'm sorry I can't add to any of the other answers
Sara n Ozzy
Sara n Ozzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ozzy
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Boy
Support total : 956

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 04 2014, 17:52

Welcome from Darcy and me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Tue Mar 04 2014, 18:56

hia from me and sasha  Smile ,he looks a gorgeous old boy  Love Struck,agree with whats been said,def get a health check done on him,and could be alot to do with him getting older,sash is 10 this year and some days she will sleep a lot and other days she zooms around like a pup!when i come home i too will find cushions scathered around the room!
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by moisy_buster Tue Mar 04 2014, 22:03

Thank you so much for responding everyone.  What a lovely friendly group this is!!  He actually is booked in for his monthly arthritis shot today and I'll be having a chat to the vet about his issue.  He has regular vet checks, so it certainly makes sense that it's probably more of an age thing (particularly given you've all suggested this).   Incidentally.... I was out last night for dinner - came home and the cushions and couches were intact!  He did, however, jump in the water-feature to de-stress himself..... (**SIGH**)  Thanks again everyone for the advice and assistance.  What a great community!
moisy_buster
moisy_buster

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Tue Mar 04 2014, 22:08

Let us know how you get on at the vets won't you xx
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhia Wed Mar 05 2014, 00:31

Hi from banes and myself
Rhia
Rhia
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Sudden behavioural issue with my old boy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Banes
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by polly and jed Wed Mar 05 2014, 10:38

Howdy from Jed and i, hope the vet can shine some light on the subject  Big Grin 
polly and jed
polly and jed

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : jed
Dog(s) Ages : 10/10/2013
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Wed Mar 05 2014, 10:58

Welcome from me and Axl. What a gorgeous old boy he is I love the oldies  Love Struck  Let us know what the vet says I reckon its probably old age bless him
Debs01
Debs01
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by moisy_buster Wed Mar 05 2014, 23:53

Hello all and thanks so much again for your advice and assistance.  So Buster the Wonderdog and I spoke to the vet yesterday about his issue.  As soon as I mentioned what was happening a little smile crept over the good Doctor's face, and he said that this is fairly typical behaviour for staffy, particuarly one getting on in years.  He was extremely helpful (as usual) about some methods to try - he even told me some new things I wasn't even aware of in relation to thunderstorms and the old boy (he hates it!).  The good doctor has given me some very mild Valium - 2mg (I did question if it was for me or Buster!), and he's said that this will be enough just to take the edge off Fatty if I slip one into his dinner about an hour before I head out in the evening next.  Because Buster's on heart tablets and diuretics, the valium won't present any contra-indications that may affect him or his current medication.  I did purchase some DAP spray to try first though, and I've also got plenty of Rescue Remedy which I can try for when I get home from being out (in an effort to de-stress him).  So I'll keep my fingers and tootsies crossed that the "natural" remedies will have a positive effect before I try him out on the valium.  Here's hoping.....  Love Struck
moisy_buster
moisy_buster

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by JStaff Thu Mar 06 2014, 00:07

Best of luck and pleased to hear the trip to the vet was worthwhile  Big Grin 
JStaff
JStaff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Suki
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Support total : 859

Back to top Go down

Post by Debs01 Thu Mar 06 2014, 09:59

The good doctor has given me some very mild Valium - 2mg (I did question if it was for me or Buster!),

rolling on the floor 
Debs01
Debs01

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Axl
Support total : 189

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Mar 06 2014, 10:59

Glad to hear the good doctor was able to prescribe something for Buster, I could recommend the DAP spray, we use this for Rocky when there are fireworks going off or any other time of stress, it does work well for him.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Simi Thu Mar 06 2014, 14:26

My Snoop used to follow me everywhere and would get upset if i left him even if someone else was still at home. If we were all out we would come back to a smelly present. I used to ignore it and would clean up. My Snoop was 13 years old and suffering from cancer so i did let him get away with things.
You could try filling a kong with some treats and maybe it will take his mind of you not being there.

welcome to the forum from me and Lula
Simi
Simi

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tallulah
Dog(s) Ages : 21/11/13
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by stuart j Fri Mar 07 2014, 23:53

Hi and welcome Cool

stuart j
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sun Mar 09 2014, 11:00

Hi and welcome from me and my two Smile
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Sun Mar 09 2014, 18:45

I know omega 3 is very important to keep the brain healthy. You could try supplementing his food with sardines - keep him sharp and support him into old age.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by moisy_buster Mon Mar 10 2014, 11:06

Hi again all... just a quick update on how Buster's "little episodes" (as I call them) are going so far. I was out for dinner last night and I thought that I would try the "housewife's helper" on him, ie, the Valium that the good doctor vet had prescribed him. I gave him his 2mg tablet a couple of hours before I went out (just in case he had a reaction to it so I would be home to go into a big panic and rush him to the vet) and then gave him his dinner as usual. After his tea he fell asleep on his couch and didn't really move until I was heading out. While I was enjoying my meal I suddenly realised that I'd accidentally left my bedroom door open so assumed I'd come home to Buster under the covers with his head on the pillows (as he usually does given half the chance), or find the doona and pillows and his doggie-bed scattered all over the room (which is what has happened during "his episodes"). I was out for a couple of hours and kept thinking (worrying!) that the Valium might actually relax him so much that he'd be kicking back listening to sitar music, smoking herbal cigarettes and thinking that the world was groovy. So I get home and there's Buster waiting for me with his tail on it's usual spring. And lo and behold, he hadn't been using the couches as trampolines nor scratched them up (most unusual for him lately), and he hadn't even ventured into my bedroom either!!! What a shock for me! I was sure he'd at least make himself comfy on my bed. Now, it could have been the fact that he'd been down to the river for a big swim in the morning, or had had his usual afternoon walk in the local park, but I'm fairly sure he pretty much slept for the couple of hours I was out. I'm not suggesting that the Valium did or didn't have any effect - I'm keeping an open mind. But I am hoping that perhaps his little pill was, in fact, helpful in taking the edge off him. Next time I'm out I'll try him without one, just to see what happens, but I won't discount using them again on the odd occasion. I would, however, like to know why my Ravi Shankar record has suddenly disappeared.... confused  Oh, and Rupertsbooks, thank you, and I have heard of the benefits of Omega 3 for older dogs. I've been substituting Buster's usual meat and kibble with sardines twice a week for some time now. He loves them, but the fish breath.... phew!
moisy_buster
moisy_buster

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 10 2014, 11:15

Glad to hear that the tablet may have worked for him. Have ever considered setting up a video camera for while you are out to see what he does ?

Hope you manage to find your record again, it may be well hidden though  Laughing 
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon Mar 10 2014, 13:36

Hello and welcome from me and Pixee. Glad you seem to have found something to help Buster. Does Buster like his swimming that much? My Pixee cant swim  Surprised , but show her water where she can see her feet, and she is in and playing.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by moisy_buster Fri Mar 14 2014, 12:19

Hi Lynn and Pixie... Buster ADORES the water. But he will only play in a river or dam - he doesn't like the ocean at all. It did take him a couple of years to learn how to swim though - when he first started he kept sinking, but we managed to "teach" him that he needed to use all four legs! I'm sure he's part-dolphin as he loves to get his head under the water!

And Kathy & Rocky... great idea about the video camera - it'd certainly be interesting to see just what he gets up to while I'm out! I'll give it a shot one of these days and put up a post about it. Thanks for the suggestion  Big Grin 
moisy_buster
moisy_buster

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Wed Mar 19 2014, 12:14

moisy_buster wrote:Hi Lynn and Pixie... Buster ADORES the water.  But he will only play in a river or dam - he doesn't like the ocean at all.  It did take him a couple of years to learn how to swim though - when he first started he kept sinking, but we managed to "teach" him that he needed to use all four legs!  I'm sure he's part-dolphin as he loves to get his head under the water!  

I am so glad Buster loves to get his head under water, as Pixee loves doing that too, other times its like she is hooving the water  Laughing . Theres two rocky ledges on parts of the canal we live next to, Pixee loves standing on those and putting her head under water as if she is looking for fishes, I am totally amazed she can do that! Just like your Buster. But she wont swim as she has fell off the locks we walk over to get to the walking side a few times and has just sink under. Scared her to bits, rivers she loves so long as she can see her feet.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down