+4
bellanlillie
Kathy
Rachel33
janey
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New member..need some help / advice pls Empty New member..need some help / advice pls

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:46

Hi I'm Kelly and I have 2 staffs mum 8 years and daughter 4 years. Recently over the last year and a half the youngest Lillie has been having strange episodes. Now when I say episodes I don't mean bad behaviour or aggressiveness but more like climbing the walls.
The only way I can tell u is by video and not sure how to upload on here. But her episodes just suddenly happen. She gets hot and heart rate is going fast. She tries to climb on top of my tumble drier and then up on to the my gas boiler which is not ideal. Iv spoke to a dog physiologist and she seems to think it's a physiological problem.
Does anyone know or heard anything of the sort.???
bellanlillie
bellanlillie
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Bella & Lillie
Dog(s) Ages : 8 & 4
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

New member..need some help / advice pls Empty Re: New member..need some help / advice pls

Post by janey Sat Mar 01 2014, 19:54

Sorry it is not something I have experienced. Is there something that triggers this behaviour?
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

New member..need some help / advice pls Empty Re: New member..need some help / advice pls

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:14

Oh dear not something I have experienced either. As Janey says anything happened that could of triggered this?
If you have a mo come and say hi here
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions
And here is the link of how to post Vids same concept as photos just upload your vid from your computer to photo bucket  Big Grin 
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t12017-how-to-post-a-photos-onto-the-forum

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:37

No nothing has triggered this off that I can think off. She's normally quite placid and then bonkers as any staffy is. It just happens and can't last an hour. Quite worrying to watch sometimes
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:45

Have you been to the vets just to check there are no underlying health problems.  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:51

Vet did a check over at get booster. He wasn't sure what the problem was but said it could be in her head or something
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:56

bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01 2014, 20:58

I know its expensive but may be worth looking further into it. Perhaps you could try and get a vid up so we can see  Smile  I know may be a silly question but how much exercise does she get? x

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:04

Don't know if my link has worked or not that I have just posted. But neither of them go out on the lead I have a 30ft garden and there out of the door practically all morning before I go to work and then same again on my return x
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:07

Video is private so won't play, what exersize does he get other than the garden? x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:11

No cant see vid either as private. Apart from the garden how much exercise in general everyday does she get? It could be a major part in the behaviour you are having x

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 21:16

Video is now open sorry. I can't take her out she's too aggressive towards other dogs. I get a lot of attention round where I live due to mine both being white bitches. Me walking them on my own is a no go. The garden is all she has known for 4 years since she was a pup. X
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:00

She does look very anxious hence the panting, ears back and quick tail wagging. She looks like my boy does when he has heard fireworks trying to get in a corner and hide. Have you tried a thundershirt as they are very calming. Sorry to hear she is dog aggressive but I have to say exercise is a must for physical and mental stimulation. Is there no where you can take her where there are not many dogs about.

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:04

I bought adaptil plug ins and they seemed to work and now they don't unless it's because I didn't have any emergency spray for her. My area is covered with dogs. The furthest she goes is to the vets in the car. Problem is her mum Bella is suffering. She must have some out burst during the night too as Bella looks worn out and shattered in a morning
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:24

You really need to get Lillie out and active, it really will help, even being dog aggressive (long leads or short flexi's) you can take them out and you will be surprised how much it helps x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:28

Just a random, is there anything that is stuck under or behind the machine?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:28

Yes I agree totally she probably has cabin fever x

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sat Mar 01 2014, 22:53

Had all the tumble drier out. There is nothing there everything in the house is the same and had been since she was a pup. When the weather is nice I do try and get out with the dogs. Just hard on my own as they both pull Bella is fine with other dogs but because Lillie is aggressive towards all dogs she then defends here daughter too so becomes a hand full. They have the full run of the house. She isn't constantly locked up and she is forever loved given attention etc.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sat Mar 01 2014, 23:21

Like already said she needs walks, garden exercise is just not enough. I'm sure it would help  Smile 
Sazzle
Sazzle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 01 2014, 23:44

I can only echo what's already been said. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02 2014, 00:00

Did Lille have a health check when she was a pup?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02 2014, 00:05

^^^ glad you have seen this Jane xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sun Mar 02 2014, 09:34

Yes she did have a full health check as pup along with the other 10 that her mum had in her litter. All were perfectly fine. My mum had the 2 boys and there house dogs only they don't have this problem. My two friends have both got one of each and they don't have this problem.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Mar 02 2014, 09:56

What happens if you block off her access to the area? Does she just go somewhere else to do it?
How is she on a walk when she comes across another dog? Will she lunge, bark and get really worked up? Or does she not bother unless the dogs come up to her?
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sun Mar 02 2014, 09:59

If I block the area off she goes to a different area. She tries and pulls the trolley out from the side of the washer and tries to get behind there. Or she goes into the porch toilet n tries to get as far in a corner and climbs the wall. If I take her on a walk even if another dog is across the road she snarls lunges all her fur is up and thats what it's like all the time
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Mar 02 2014, 12:27

Have you tried to take them out in the car to a different area for a walk, I'm sure they would benefit from having a different view for an hour or so and some exercise other than walking around in the garden ?

If there are lots of people around during the day would you be able to get out for some walks maybe a bit later in the evening or very early in the morning ? Is there anyone else at home who could help with the doggy walks ?

Would you be able to get a long training lead, they are available in most pet stores and on line even cheaper ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Lead-Padded-handle-Black/dp/B00A3S2I0O/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393763108&sr=1-4&keywords=long+training+lead

Have you considered muzzle training, the link below should help with this ?

http://www.morrco.com/trdogtowemu.html

The Baskerville muzle is one I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baskerville-Ultra-Muzzle-Size-3/dp/B00CD40DRQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393763241&sr=1-5&keywords=baskerville+muzzle

What are they fed ? We have a list of recommended foods in the link below:

http://staffy-bull-terrier.com/dry_food
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Mar 02 2014, 14:06

Never leaving the house/garden is extremely detrimental to the health and well being to any dog. She's more than likely aggressive because she's never seen the outside world and is terrified and under socialized, being a terrier this will manifest itself in aggression.

My dog is aggressive towards men and other dogs being in a similar situation to yours and she has at least 90 minutes of outdoor exercise ever single day without fail. I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse. I think you're going to have to hire a behaviourist to reverse this kind of damage, though we will of course help as best as possible and advise all that we can. Sounds like she's very distressed.
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02 2014, 14:57

I reckon you need to start again with her. Lack of stimulation is making her like this. It is better that you take her out on her own at first and get her used to being out. Go somewhere quiet at first (use a long line) and let her have a wander and sniff about. It seems like you are stuck at the moment as you don't want to take her out because of they way she reacts and this is understandable. However the only way to improve her life and yours is to get out with her. It will take a while but will be worth it in the long term.  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:13

Thanks for your advice will take this on board. I will look for a new harness as she needs a new one don't like this one I have. Already got long leads and know an area I could possibly walk them near to where I ride my bike. They get really excited in the car that's my other problem too. Esp if I'm driving. Going to see what she's like with out a muzzle first off. So that I don't scare her too much. She isn't nasty to people that's the main thing she loves people attention.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:19

Can anyone recommend a good harness Bella has a good one but it rides up her front. Doesn't seem to sit right on her body but is for her size.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:19

Glad we have been of help I think you will see a vast difference after doing some regular exercise with her. Please keep us updated with her progress and try and keep it a routine that also helps. So good luck to you and gorgeous Lillie xxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:19

My girls have the ezydog harnesses which you can get an attachment which fits in the seat belt holder so they can't jump about. I also have haltis for them so I have more control over them when I walk them together. You just need to get them in the habit of going out and behaving there is a lot of work involved but I guarantee you will see a difference in a month  biggrin  Good Luck.

Last edited by Chiara on Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:20

Do you have a harness seat belt clip, this will keep them secure while travelling in the car, it will look like this:

New member..need some help / advice pls 41Dfh6oLsNL._SY300_

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Safety-Adjustable-Harness-Attached/dp/B00BIGFESS/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393784366&sr=1-3&keywords=dog+seat+belt+clip

Rocky also has the Ezydog harness
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:22

http://www.ezydog.co.uk/chest-plate-harness/ or the non pull harness http://www.amazon.co.uk/COA-NON-PULL-HARNESS-BLACK-Medium/dp/B0062ME8WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393784531&sr=8-1&keywords=non+pull+harness+medium I have both  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:23

The clip Kathy has shown you is the one I use with the girls in the car  biggrin 

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:30

I have the Ezydog harness for Bella n I don't really like it. It looks to me that it is going to come out of it if she was to try. Just been looking at the seat belt clips thinking of getting them. I'm on a fitness kick so the walk will do me good as well as the gym.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:33

The El Pero harness would be a good alternative to the EzyDog one if you would prefer to try it:

http://www.elperro.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=37
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:43

Will have a look at them thanks Kathy. Got both eBay and Amazon on the go now.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:50

No worries, sometimes it just takes a bit of searching around, thanks for asking for some help  New member..need some help / advice pls 3198918699 

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sazzle Sun Mar 02 2014, 18:50

I like the xtradog ones, fit well and very comfy

http://www.xtradog.com/shop/shop-by-product/harnesses/fleece-dog-harnesses/fleece-harnesses.html

In the car I use a crate in the boot
Sazzle
Sazzle

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog(s) Ages : 3 ish
Support total : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post by Bane Sun Mar 02 2014, 21:13

We have a seatbelt clip for Bane in the car and it works great! If you think it will be quite tricky with them being so excited, it might be more relaxing if you took someone with you? Smile Then they could also sit in the back with the dogs or keep them occupied and calm while you drive.
If they have any toys or treats that they really love, take them along too so if you did come across another dog, it will be easier to distract them away Smile
Bane
Bane

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bane
Dog(s) Ages : 13th August 2013
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 332

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:11

Bane I don't have anyone who can come with me as everyone works. I'll be okay I'll just put some toys in for them or a bone and use the belt clips on them. Iv got treats anyway so will take them with me. Just going to be very nervous when I walk them or should I say when they walk me
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:22

Ah wish I could walk them with you to help your nerves Sad just remember, the more you walk them, the easier it will get. Biscuit hadn't been walked when I first took her in and was wild!! After a few good runs in really quiet places over a few weeks I could start the training. After a month I started walking her in a halti head collar (she's reactive and lunges so never felt that I had much control over her when her lead was attached to the harness halfway down her back) and it did wonders for keeping her under control and my confidence in controlling her. I use a double ended lead attached to the halti and the collar and she now trots along next to me. You do have to train them to wear the collar on their face though. I do agree with the others that you should walk them separately for a while though, it will be much harder to control them both while they're getting used to the world? The car thing will settle too, Biscuit was a maniac in the car the first few months and now sits nicely in the back with training and exercise Smile she also knows we're going somewhere nice and not just to the vets when we go out!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:27

I can't walk them separately lillie doesn't like to leave her mum. She would either scream the house down or she won't get in the car with out here lol. One of them things I'll be OK. Iv got enough deep heat for my shoulder blades when they have done.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:32

bellanlillie wrote:Bane I don't have anyone who can come with me as everyone works. I'll be okay I'll just put some toys in for them or a bone and use the belt clips on them. Iv got treats anyway so will take them with me.  Just going to be very nervous when I walk them or should I say when they walk me

You might find walking them one at a time will help with some of the pulling and go back to basics, as soon as they pull. Stop. Turn around and only walk on when they come back to heel. I know it's hard not to but you have to try not to be nervous over how your dogs will react to another, they will sense your nervous and think that they to have something to be fearful of. The watchme command is invaluable as soon as you spot another dog you have a command for the dog to look at you and treat when they make eye contact with you make the command in a light high pitched fun voice and reward regularly til the other dog has passed

Spend time at home working on the commands (mental stimulation works wonders for tiring them out) and maybe start with muzzle training at home again make it fun and not a punishment

Good luck and keep us updated
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 03 2014, 08:35

Okay, when you say she's aggressive with other dogs, is she likely to attack? Because this walking is going to have to be an ongoing, everyday thing for the rest of their lives, at least an hour every day. If you have health problems or don't feel that you can handle them there are dog walkers/behaviourists that can help. Where are you planning on taking them first? I would go somewhere that you won't see anybody and don't let them off lead initially, and even then only with a long line attached in the future.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Mon Mar 03 2014, 09:54

Lillie is the one that walks by my side she's good at commands. Bella the mum is the puller but she is also good on command I did used to walk them both when I lived closer to my mum as she would help. Lillie just thinks she's ten men when it comes to seeing another dog. They both listen to my command and I don't intend on letting then of the lead anyway. I have got Lillie a new harness both have seat belt clips and bought a 2 way control lead for then to be on. If I can lift 30kgs a day at the gym these 3 will be easy. X
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 03 2014, 19:26

Biscuit also looks like she's going to eat another dog when she sees them, but is actually just cr*pping her pants!! Was she ever socialized as a puppy with lots of dogs of all ages/sizes/temperaments? Biscuit has actually lived with 5 different foster dogs of mine peacefully and has 3 close doggy friends that she plays with regularly, but it's taken me 2 years to get there and I would never let her meet a dog out without a muzzle on.
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Mon Mar 03 2014, 19:28

Also, off topic but i'm worrying about your mums dogs now aswell! Why doesn't she walk them? Sad
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bellanlillie Mon Mar 03 2014, 21:00

Lillie would probably try and attack I wouldn't put it past her. We have been out before and iv always had control of her so I can't see there being a problem. Think I'm more scared due to the fact of a dog attack on my self years ago. My mum walks hers once a week. She takes them for a good 10 mile on her day off. Used to walk with my mum and her dogs but the boys try now to boss the girls around a bit too much so we stopped walking together.
bellanlillie
bellanlillie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next