Getting cold feet with off lead walks

5 posters

Go down

Getting cold feet with off lead walks Empty Getting cold feet with off lead walks

Post by Lunasmum Wed May 18 2011, 18:31

Hi all

Luna is 19 weeks now and I have found myself becoming nervous when seeing other dogs with Luna off lead. I am not at all concerned that other dogs may be aggressive etc, it's just that Luna LOVES all dogs and can be a real pain to other dogs who don't want to play. She doesn't seem to get the "go away" snarl that some of the dogs give her and I have almost broken my own fingers getting her back on the lead whilst she is in full play mode.

What I am currently doing is putting her on the lead before she gets whiff that another dog is around, then allow her to meet them. After that I just walk away and let her off lead when they are out of sight.

Any advice on this would be gratefully appreciated as I am worried that she will pick up on my nervous energy.

Thanks, Donna xx
Lunasmum
Lunasmum
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Luna
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Getting cold feet with off lead walks Empty Re: Getting cold feet with off lead walks

Post by Guest Wed May 18 2011, 18:37

i'll be watchin this closely as im the same - would love to let him off regardless and it took a 12 year old boy this evening to give me the confidence to let him off with his dog (Woodys mum) but he was very good at getting woody back and on the lead

Back to top Go down

Getting cold feet with off lead walks Empty Re: Getting cold feet with off lead walks

Post by janey Wed May 18 2011, 19:00

Personally I think your doing the right thing by popping her back onlead, just make sure you don't make an issue of it. The problem is if another dog snaps at Luna, she may just be the bouncy playfull pup but as you've said he doesn't back off with a growl she may get hurt. When I was starting out with Moo, being a rescue I wasn't sure how she would react. I would pop her back onlead and approach the other owner, if they where ok with it I'd let her off and see how she went. I wouldn't have wanted Moo to do any damage and vice versa. Now she is barley ever on lead, she has a bum sniff and goes on her way. Still a very young and excitable pup, she'll learn not to bounce up to everyone, and I think you'll learn the people that have dogs that she can bounce all over and ones that don't. Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruno311210 Wed May 18 2011, 19:01

Hi

Bruno is 19 weeks too and he does the same thing, but your doing what i do, i let him off if no dogs are around then if i see a dog i don't know then i put him back on the lead untill they have met and then when the other dog is out of sight then bruno gets let off the lead again.

I'll be watching this topic closely too Big Grin
Bruno311210
Bruno311210

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 18 2011, 22:38

I think you're doing exactly the right thing. Back on lead until you're sure of reactions.

You could also try a long line, which will give you control while letting her have a bit of freedom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 02:28

I Agree with all the above, It doesn't totally alleviate your anxiety, but it does give you a little more confidence in your control of the situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 19 2011, 08:32

billy is the same, when he sees a dog he is off, luckily there has only been one incident so far and he came out the worse, nothing serious just the other dog putting him in his place
he is booked in for another training session tomorrow for recall, which is absolutly zero if there are any distrcations about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Thu May 19 2011, 11:25

Your doing the right thing, I had the same problem with Lola being a right little terror with other dogs that didn't want to play and she would ignore their dislike of her. But the oldef she is getting the more cautious she is becoming and won't go bowling up straight away, she waits cautiously, looks at me for confirmation then if I tell her it's ok she goes and says hello.

It does improve, I never thought Lola would ever stop bowling over to people and dogs, now like Janey and her dog Lola is very rarely on the lead and I am quite confident I can get her back.

But then we did have an incident the other day when someone's cocker spaniel was off lead and Lola was on lead, the owner had no control of the dog and he started trying to attack Lola, I of course told the dog to back off and shouted to the owner to get her dog.

Her excuse was it must of been Lola's lead that scared her dog, asif.
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 24 2011, 17:38

since ive posted on heere ive been making the effort to combat my fears of letting him off. and over the last week woody has been off the lead with a range of dogs and ive gained confidence from the other owner. their dog has been off with woody on the lead and we have agreed to let him off to join the other dog.i havent tried more than one dog at a time yet but we are getting there. Bonus is he is shattered of a night timeand im getting some"me" time! its hardwork on your own when he needs 24/7 attention!

Back to top Go down

Post by ardvark Tue May 24 2011, 22:38

Ahhhh phew we're doing the same, if we get the thumbs up from the owners we let them off and they play. Milo is 5 1/2 months is now and has learnt when to stop bothering other dogs when they say enough is enough. Except....for last weekend when he met my friends collie and went a bit ott and got a nip on the ear....friendly warning mind, he'd had several warnings prior on the walk - it was when we stopped at the park to let the kids play and her old dog wanted a rest!
ardvark
ardvark
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Getting cold feet with off lead walks Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Milo
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down