Raising two puppies together (different litters)

2 posters

Go down

Raising two puppies together (different litters) Empty Raising two puppies together (different litters)

Post by BelleKathryn Wed Jan 08 2014, 14:48

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice about raising puppies together? It seems like me and my boyfriend have been very ignorant and should have done our research about this before getting our pups. After searching for articles about training them together i ended up stumbling across a vast amount of ones about how you should never get two puppies. Unfortunately, its a bit late for that. I'm lucky in that I do have the time to spend with them, and as soon as I've read through these articles I started doing their routine differently. We got our girl Rogue first and she if now nearly 6 months, then a month later we got Thor, he's now nearly 5 months. I do believe they have an extremely strong bond with each other as in my ignorance I have done everything with them together, even training them both to sit and give paw. They slept in the same crate together as they were house trained more or less straight away... They play fight with each other but it has never once gotten out of hand and been a serious fight, theres no aggression to any one, although Rogue is an aggressive licker! Ha! Thor is the boss of them both and has been from day one even when he was tiny. Although they both have this very strong bond and dont like to be apart, (Thor whines a lot!) I still think they also have a strong bond with me too, especially Rogue as she loves to come and have cuddles.

Since finding out about the problems two puppies can have when brought up together..

They never sleep in the same crate anymore they each have their own.
They are fed seperately.
They are walked seperately.
Training seperately, (although its difficult at times because one or the other can hear) this will be much better in summer months when i can take them outside to train.

It's really hard keeping them apart because whenever they do see each other they just want to lick each other or play, but I love them both very much so more than willing to put the effort in. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should be doing or if theres any tips.

Thanks
Kat
BelleKathryn
BelleKathryn
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Rogue, Thor
Dog(s) Ages : 5 1/2 months, 4 1/2 months
Dog Gender(s) : female, male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Raising two puppies together (different litters) Empty Re: Raising two puppies together (different litters)

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08 2014, 15:06

Hiya I have never had 2 together so I am not much help.
Why not come say hi here  Big Grin 
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/f7-new-member-introductions

Back to top Go down

Raising two puppies together (different litters) Empty Re: Raising two puppies together (different litters)

Post by BelleKathryn Wed Jan 08 2014, 15:24

Hey,

Thanks anyways and have introduced myself now  Smile  
BelleKathryn
BelleKathryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08 2014, 15:38

thumbs up  Someone will be along who will be able to help  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08 2014, 16:15

I've never had two puppies either but some of our members have so hopefully they'll be along to help shortly Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleKathryn Wed Jan 08 2014, 16:29

Thanks Hayley :-)
BelleKathryn
BelleKathryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jan 08 2014, 16:37

you have to be the boss and NO should stop them in the tracks, normaly male and female is ok its when you have 2 females and 2 males you have the problems remember they are pups they going have the odd fight but you should be there to stop and whoever started should be place on like an naughty step till you are happy they have been there long enough. you also have to be consistent with them al the time

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08 2014, 16:37

Sounds like you're doing a great job! My two are 9 months apart and we would also do separate training and so forth like you which led to an even stronger bond between them but just as strong a bond with each of us. You're going into the teenage phase, so be sure to be consistent and patience and whenever you need to, go back to basics.

I'm somewhat neurotic about supervising play so that it never escalates and step in when they get over excited - like you I have the time to spend with them so this is easy enough for us.

I also keep them very busy! From morning walks/exercise to kong, to even having learned to play fetch with Roxy while playing tug with Vinny!  Laughing  We'll also play with them separately such as my OH and Roxy on one side of the house and Vinny and I on the other. They each have different favourite toys so they're just as happy playing alone as they are together.

Is there anything else about having two that you wonder about?

Well done, keep up your great work and remember, we're all here to help Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleKathryn Wed Jan 08 2014, 17:05

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.. I had read that a girl and boy were better than two of the same sex so at least we're good with that one and I think they know I'm the boss although Thor has a very dominant personality so keeps me on my toes! :-)

Hi Roxy's mum!

Thanks so much for your reply!

Same as you I always supervise them, they were in one crate together up until i stumbled across all the articles about them not doing so well together. They are never on their own anymore so have had no issues with them. Do you walk them both together? I'd like to do a bit of both but just really worried now! Also the part I'm finding really hard is at night when the family is relaxing, I dont want to have to put one in bed while the other is out etc especially when they normally only want to snuggle into me and sleep! But obviously I just want to do whats the best for them both :-)
BelleKathryn
BelleKathryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 08 2014, 17:11

BelleKathryn wrote:
Hi Roxy's mum!

Thanks so much for your reply!

Same as you I always supervise them, they were in one crate together up until i stumbled across all the articles about them not doing so well together. They are never on their own anymore so have had no issues with them. Do you walk them both together? I'd like to do a bit of both but just really worried now! Also the part I'm finding really hard is at night when the family is relaxing, I dont want to have to put one in bed while the other is out etc especially when they normally only want to snuggle into me and sleep! But obviously I just want to do whats the best for them both :-)

When Vinny came home Roxy was already sleeping in our bed! And he had his crate until he was completely house trained - now they're both in bed and they both tend to cuddle me more than the OH (normally Vinny hugging my legs and Roxy cuddling into my tummy) rolling on the floor  I wouldn't have it any other way, but that's my preference. I must say, we're very lucky in that there's no jealousy if one is having cuddle with us on the sofa - so they're happy like that and just as happy cuddling up together. Are you happy enough having them both snuggle in to you? What I do when they're sleeping in separate rooms during the day is go and have one-on-one snuggles with each of them so that they enjoy individual attention. I'll also set aside one on one and together play time.

We do walk them both together and sometimes separately - either way, really. We used to walk them separately more often when they were younger, tbh.

When they used to go to doggy school they would be in different classes at different times, so we would take one, then come home to fetch the other which was also good one on one time when they were younger.  Big Grin 

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleKathryn Wed Jan 08 2014, 18:21

Ahh see I would let them sleep with us but although they are both housetrained, Rogue tends to wee if she gets over excited, and being on our bed seems to be very exciting for her, so they have crates in a room of their own, and that way I know they are both safe. If Rogue grows out of that then will maybe rethink it. I love them both cuddling in, Rogue likes to get in between my legs and lay on my tummy and Thor will literally throw himself down anywhere. There is no jealousy whatsoever between the two as I always give them the same amount of attention, even at food times I have it so they can be both sat side by side and wait patiently for treats. Up until recently I walked them both together, but have changed that since reading up.. it just would be nice to be able to take them together as well as alone. I think if I just try and so as much as possible with them seperate then hopefully it will be enough. :-)
BelleKathryn
BelleKathryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Jan 08 2014, 18:24

Rogue tends to wee if she gets over excited

^^ that be becasue she hasn't got full control of her bladder yet when they older and getting longer walks 2/3 time an day that problem will just disappear Smile

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BelleKathryn Wed Jan 08 2014, 18:27

Its really weird though because Thor is the younger of the two and he never does this.. he will even just go and sit by the back door and look at you, waiting for you to open it. But Rogue still has accidents when she's excited although it has got a lot better than it was :-)
BelleKathryn
BelleKathryn

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down