staff pregnancy

+2
debbiewaterhouse
beanz
6 posters

Go down

staff pregnancy Empty staff pregnancy

Post by beanz Tue Apr 26 2011, 04:12

i have a 10 month old staff who has had a first season in which we were very careful not to let her breed, since her season she showed signs of a phantom pregnancy ie pulling toys into her bed, swollen nipples but no weight gain or appitite loss, however she had been acting funny all day and tonight gave birth to a chunky dead puppy, she seems to of only had the 1 in there as it has been nearly 5 hours since it was born is this normal, i now very little on the birth and pregnancy thing as i never intended to breed her and her giving birth has been a really shock as we were convinced that we had taken every precaution for her not to get pregnant.

beanz
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : storm
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

staff pregnancy Empty Re: staff pregnancy

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 06:54

That must have been so traumatic for you and for her. I have no experience with this but I do know that she is much too young to have pups as she still has so much growing to do herself and it can damage her. Please consider getting her spayed so she doesnt have to go through that again. It was very unlucky that she got caught while you were trying to prevent it but accidents happen. Spaying will make sure it doesnt happen again. By the way, welcome to the forum and let us know what happens Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Tue Apr 26 2011, 07:47

Poor Storm, if I were you i'd get her checked over at the vets asap and get her booked in to be spayed in 3 months time.
Hope everythings ok, and welcome to the forum from me n Hollie
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 07:51

debbiewaterhouse wrote:Poor Storm, if I were you i'd get her checked over at the vets asap and get her booked in to be spayed in 3 months time.
Hope everythings ok, and welcome to the forum from me n Hollie

Good point Debbie, I forgot to mention getting her checked by a vet Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 09:36

Hi & welcome.

Definitely take her to the vets in case there are any more inside her. They could cause septicemia.

Back to top Go down

Post by beanz Tue Apr 26 2011, 09:56

thank you everyone for your warm welcome my intention is to get her spayed thats why i was so conserned about her mating. i really have no idea when or how she even got caught i have phoned the vet this morning, although she is eating and drinking she is very sad and refusing to leave her bed. she only had the one pup and i really dont think that she has anymore in there as she never gained any weight. so sorry for her she is treating her teddies as babies Sad

beanz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 11:18

Poor little girl, she doesn't know what's happened. Sad Have you any idea of which dog was the father?

Let us know how you get on at the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 13:16

ye best to get her checked a friend almost lost his girl last week due to septicemia
and a warm welcome to the forum

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 26 2011, 15:15

How very sad, hope all went well t the vets and I gess its a matter of time for her. As everyone else said welcome to the forum, keep us updated.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 15:16

hiya! What an awful experience for the poor little thing and at such a young age....well the best thing to come out of this is that u will be definatley getting her spayed asap and maybe u can help to educate others who think that they are being very carefull about not letting thier bitch get "caught" its so easily done Sad Lets hope there hasnt been any lasting damage to her underdeveloped insides....let us all no how u get on at the vets xx

Back to top Go down

Post by beanz Tue Apr 26 2011, 19:21

well i have had my poor baby girl checked at the vet and all seems well with her and that he doesnt seem to think there is anymore babies in there only time will tell he is very shocked that she even carried at all, she has had a premature pregnancy and birth as she has only carried for 5 weeks instead of 9. only time will tell on weather she is o or not, thanks so much for the support guys xx

beanz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 26 2011, 19:26

Thanks for the update. Really hoping she gets over the trauma. Lots of love to you and your girl
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by beanz Tue Apr 26 2011, 19:38

i am a little worried about her as she is winging lots and crying alot i dont really now what to do for the better as it is all new to me as i have never had a staff before, she is such a lovely dog and i am just so gutted that she has had to go throw all of this at such a young age it just goes to show that if a dog is determained enought they will mate no matter how hard you try and prevent it

beanz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Apr 26 2011, 19:48

I haven't a clue what your both going through, never happened to me. I can only imagine its very distressing for all. She will bounce back soon I hope. x
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by debbiewaterhouse Tue Apr 26 2011, 19:59

Must be really hard for you both at the moment, but i'm sure in time she'll get over it, Hollie sends lots of licks Tongues
debbiewaterhouse
debbiewaterhouse

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Divorced
Dogs Name(s) : Hollie & Dotts
Dog(s) Ages : 2 1/2 & 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : Females
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 20:36

beanz wrote:i am a little worried about her as she is winging lots and crying alot i dont really now what to do for the better as it is all new to me as i have never had a staff before, she is such a lovely dog and i am just so gutted that she has had to go throw all of this at such a young age it just goes to show that if a dog is determained enought they will mate no matter how hard you try and prevent it

I'm afraid that with a bitch in season you have to have eyes on the back of your head, and you can't leave them alone anywhere near a male at any time. I'm not trying to pile blame on top of your problems, but she only became pregnant because you didn't watch her close enough.

What she's going through at the moment is a sort of grieving process in a way. She knows that something should have been there, and I should think that milk will be present, so she's feeling uncomfortable & unsure of herself. Try not to over coddle her. Yes, she needs some love and attention, but she also needs you to be strong around her so that she can get back to normal.

Did the vet give her anything to dry up the milk?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 21:35

Caryll wrote:
beanz wrote:i am a little worried about her as she is winging lots and crying alot i dont really now what to do for the better as it is all new to me as i have never had a staff before, she is such a lovely dog and i am just so gutted that she has had to go throw all of this at such a young age it just goes to show that if a dog is determained enought they will mate no matter how hard you try and prevent it

I'm afraid that with a bitch in season you have to have eyes on the back of your head, and you can't leave them alone anywhere near a male at any time. I'm not trying to pile blame on top of your problems, but she only became pregnant because you didn't watch her close enough.

What she's going through at the moment is a sort of grieving process in a way. She knows that something should have been there, and I should think that milk will be present, so she's feeling uncomfortable & unsure of herself. Try not to over coddle her. Yes, she needs some love and attention, but she also needs you to be strong around her so that she can get back to normal.

Did the vet give her anything to dry up the milk?

thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by kitten Tue Apr 26 2011, 22:07

Poor girl Sad bless her xxxxxxxxx hope she's back to nKemal soon
kitten
kitten
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
staff pregnancy Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ripley
Dog Gender(s) : F
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Tue Apr 26 2011, 22:51

Thats so sad and im sure you are distraught too but your girl is pinning for her pup she doesnt understand what has happened and shes a baby herself time will heal give her a kiss from me please Sad
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 26 2011, 22:53

I'm so sad for her, I know it is tough for both of you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skylas-mom Wed Apr 27 2011, 19:52

Poor girly and poor you,not a nice thing to go through Sad
Is there a reason she wasn't spayed before? Only some people give out advice saying that it's best to let the bitch have the first season before spaying,just wondered if that was the case here?
Sending you both love 'n' licks,Lili and Skye. xx
Skylas-mom
Skylas-mom
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Skyla
Dog Gender(s) : Female

Back to top Go down

Post by beanz Fri Apr 29 2011, 17:27

yeah skylas-mum i was advised by the vet when she had her injections that i was best waiting until her first season to get her done but i wish to god now i had, had her done before and it would of saved her from all this stress, however she seems to be alot better today as i gave her, her teddies back that she has always had with her and she seems so much more content as she is running around outside with the kids today and she has regained her appitite thank god. can i just say that we are both very greatful for the support off people on here xx

beanz

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29 2011, 17:28

so glad she is going okay ... Smile

Back to top Go down