Pro Plan?

3 posters

Go down

Shocked Pro Plan?

Post by mary94 Thu Jun 13 2013, 01:53

Started Diablo on Softcoat as that's what the breeder had him on.. we went to the vet yesterday to get his last parvo jab and the vet complained that his coat wasnt as soft as it should be.. so he said change the diet and use oatmeal shampoo with aloe vera.. the vet also recommended iams or eukabana for his food.. i went to the pet barn and got the shampoo and decided to change his food as well but eukabana and iams just didn't seem right to me for Diablo so i found this brand called pro plan.. 

has anyone used pro plan? 
does it help their coat?
do they get enough nutrition? i'd be feeding him 2 handfuls of kibble and a 1/4 wet food of the same brand (pro plan) twice a day
i heard a teaspoon of fish/salmon oil can help? 
does that work?

pleasee help Big Grin 

xx
mary94
mary94
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Diablo
Dog(s) Ages : 10/3/13
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Pro Plan?

Post by goldie87 Thu Jun 13 2013, 10:02

Hi Mary, you're right in ditching Iams and Eukanuba because they're not very good at all.

I've picked the ingredients of a random Pro Plan Adult food (chicken with rice):

Ingredients: Chicken (20%), wheat, maize, dehydrated poultry protein, maize gluten, rice (7%), animal fat, beet pulp, digest, calcium phosphate, dried egg, sodium chloride, fish oil, potassium chloride, minerals.

In my opinion, there isn't enough meat/protein in it and there is too much filler = wheat and maize. I'd personally look for something which little or no wheat/maize in it and something with a higher protein content.

I mix wet food with dry too so that's a good idea but look for something else. I'm not sure if you have James Wellbeloved over there, or even Royal Canin which isn't too bad.

Regarding the coat, I do a number of things in order for Zeus's to be soft and shiny:

1) Fish/salmon oil 2/3 days a week in his food
2) Raw egg (with shell) 2/3 days a week in his food
3) Olive oil 2/3 days a week in his food
4) Tuna 2 days a week in his food

I always switch them around between his morning and evening foods and they seem to work and Zeus loves the variety.
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Thu Jun 13 2013, 10:28

I would pick a dry food that is grain free! 
My girls coat is amazing and I am now feeding her raw (only recently), but before I fed raw I was feeding a mix of Earthborn Grain Free and raw chicken and her coat was really shiny then too. Not sure if Petbarn has Earthborn but Petstock do! It is expensive but they don't need much of it, so it last you longer!
I have always also added things such as eggs, apple cider vinegar and fish oil!
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Pro Plan? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 13 2013, 10:39

We add raw eggs a couple of times a week, salmon oil daily, and apple cider vinegar too. I feed darcy a grain free kibble, perhaps you could look into this. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by mary94 Fri Jun 14 2013, 03:55

Thanks so much everyone yeah i didnt think iams and eukabana where that good in all honesty but the lady in the pet store said that pro plan was the best as its aussie made and well it was $80 for a large bag of it.. i live in townsville in queensland and in all honestly there isnt much to chose from here but if i have a dig around im sure ill find something.. 

anymore food brand names to suggest??

Thanks so much for your help..
i dont understand why vets these days never give the right advice.. they are also asking me to neuter Diablo and in all honesty i dont want to because id love to breed and hes saying you have to neuter him, he's a very aggressive dog - he was play biting the vet coz hes teething bad atm... and actually barked at the vet hahaha. 

ahhh i dont know.. Sad so happy im on this forum.. get heaps of great advice!!! Smile
xx
mary94
mary94

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Diablo
Dog(s) Ages : 10/3/13
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Annie and Maxi Fri Jun 14 2013, 04:46

mary94 wrote:Thanks so much everyone yeah i didnt think iams and eukabana where that good in all honesty but the lady in the pet store said that pro plan was the best as its aussie made and well it was $80 for a large bag of it.. i live in townsville in queensland and in all honestly there isnt much to chose from here but if i have a dig around im sure ill find something.. 

anymore food brand names to suggest??

Thanks so much for your help..
i dont understand why vets these days never give the right advice.. they are also asking me to neuter Diablo and in all honesty i dont want to because id love to breed and hes saying you have to neuter him, he's a very aggressive dog - he was play biting the vet coz hes teething bad atm... and actually barked at the vet hahaha. 

ahhh i dont know.. Sad so happy im on this forum.. get heaps of great advice!!! Smile
xx

There is another brand called EVO that I think is really good, however it seems impossible to find in a shop but you can get it online. 

In regards to desexing it is up to you if you wanna do it or not, HOWEVER I would strongly recommend against breeding your dog. More than half of all the dogs getting put down in shelters and pounds in Australia are staffys and staffy crosses, there is absolutely no reason to add to that. Staffordshire Bull Terriers are extremely overbred because a lot of people do what you are considering doing. Leave the breeding to the few professional and responsible breeders that has years and years of experience and knowledge in breeding healthy dogs and getting them lifelong homes and offering support throughout their life. Breeding is not something you do just because you feel like it. Vet's has to put down huge amounts of healthy dogs and that's probably why they recommended you to get him neutered.
Annie and Maxi
Annie and Maxi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Pro Plan? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Maxi
Dog(s) Ages : 8
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 44

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 14 2013, 05:28

100% agree with the above advice... Please leave breeding to the experts, so so many Staffies and Staff X's are put to sleep every single day in Australia and many other parts of the world Sad Backyard breeding is the biggest problem our breed faces right now.. Please do not consider adding to it.. 

Can't help much with the kibble I have fed raw for a long time now and the dry food I was feeding before that was rubbish.. The one Annie suggested Evo looks quite good I have also heard of another one called Black Hawk that is suppose to be quite good too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down