Anal Glands

2 posters

Go down

Anal Glands Empty Anal Glands

Post by nineyman Thu May 30 2013, 10:10

Hiya Guys
Do Staffies suffer with anal gland problems, we know our 6-7 year old bitch Molly has all sorts of allergies, but lately she has been spinning on her bum which would suggest this is her problem, we know a lot of breeds do but are unsure if Staffs suffer from the same
thanks

nineyman
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Anal Glands Empty Re: Anal Glands

Post by goldie87 Thu May 30 2013, 10:12

Yeah they do, I've had Zeus for a year and have had to have his anal glands emptied a few times (mainly because of his allergies/sensitive tummy).

I always know its a problem when he starts rubbing his bum on the floor and licking there alot. You'll also start to smell a very unpleasant fishy smell coming from that area, which is an indication that they need to be emptied.

The vet normally does this for me but there are tutorials on Youtube if you have the courage to do it yourself (which I don't) Laughing
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by nineyman Thu May 30 2013, 10:52

Hi Goldie

We would not do it either, thanks for the reply, we do not know a great deal about the breed Collies are our thing, but Molly needed saving so we took her and it has been a very big learning curve, an appointment with the vet is now in hand.
Thank you for your help

Regards

nineyman

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Thu May 30 2013, 13:08

No problem at all, this forum is brilliant for advice so feel free to ask anything (as weird as it may sound). Zeus is my first dog and I'm forever learning with him and this forum has been a massive help.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30 2013, 13:22

Agree with Goldie. Smile

It's a good idea to get it checked by a vet. Irritation is caused by the glands not excreting enough fluid naturally, as they should when they go to the toilet. This can lead to a build up and can cause infection if it is left untreated for a long time. The scooting and fish-like smell are both telltale signs of the anal glands needing emptying.

You can do it yourself, but it's probably best to let your vet handle it the first time and perhaps ask him/her about the correct technique. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 30 2013, 16:32

It's not a breed thing it's an individual thing.

Neither of mine have ever had anal gland problems but then the family dogs never did either, diet plays a huge part in it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down