Bedtime

3 posters

Go down

Bedtime Empty Bedtime

Post by sprokk3t Wed Apr 24 2013, 15:47

We have always had Samson sleep with us, but gradually more and more, we are getting less and less sleep. IT has gotten to the point that we really need to deal with it. Going days on less than three hours slepp has began to take it's toll.

He has taken to waking us up for a cuddle and likes to go in and out of the covers hourly. We hoped we could get him to sleep at the bottom of the bed, but this proved impossible.

He has two beds of his own, one downstairs and one upstairs in our room. He also likes to lie on the sofa.
The past five nights we haev been putting him in his own bed in our room, he gets a treat for going in initially, then during the night when he chances his luck as tries to get in bed with us, we pop him back to his bed with minimal attention.
The past two nigghts he has stiopped jumping up, which initially felt like progress, but now stands, paws on bed, head on pillow and whines loudly. We use the same technique as when he jumped up, but he is more stubborn about moving. He usually takes himself downstairs in a huff. Then returns a does the same again, this happens around three times, so far.

We are happy to continue and persevere with this hopeing that eventually he will feel comfortable sleeping in his own bed, and he can wander downstairs if he pleases.
The only thing that concerns me is his reactions. He is heartbroken. The past two mornings, he has sat shaking when I've awoken, looking at me as if I am the devil. He then initially refuses his morning walk and his breakfast. He will eventually go through his routine, but in his own time.

Am I doing any harm continuing with this? Or has he been a spoilt pooch for too long and just huffing about a new routine and not getting his own way?
sprokk3t
sprokk3t
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 23 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Bedtime Empty Re: Bedtime

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 15:53

I read that dogs shake when they're trying to control themselves, and Loki will often shake when I'm doing his food because he's anticipating it and has to wait, so he's probably shaking because he knows he's not allowed on the bed but wants to get into bed. You're going about it the right way, it's just that dogs do well with a routine, so after so long of him being allowed to sleep on the bed with you, he's finding it hard to adjust. Just give it time and continue what you're doing Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by sprokk3t Wed Apr 24 2013, 16:19

Thanks,

We will persevere and hopefully he will forgive us soon for being meanies :-(

Off to buy a stag bar for a big treat :-)

sprokk3t
sprokk3t

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Samson
Dog(s) Ages : 23 months
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24 2013, 16:28

Just give it time & he'll get used to the change, good luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rupertsbooks Mon May 06 2013, 01:18

I think tough love is the key sometimes. You want a harmonious family life and that means you getting sleep. You are not being cruel making your dog sleep in his own bed. I let Rupert sleep in mine for an hour or so and then would put him next door and he was ok with that. I also think it takes about two weeks to see any profound or lasting change in behaviour once you start training. So be patient with yourselves and him. I'm sure he will be fine. He sounds very sweet.
Rupertsbooks
Rupertsbooks
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Rupert
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Support total : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlos16uk Wed May 08 2013, 11:38

We'd never let a dog sleep in our bedroom never mind our bed. Surprised

Fiver is allowed upstairs to lie at the side of our bed if I'm on it, but only because with the cancers I have to lie down rather early in the evening and I want to spend as much time with him as I can before it's too late. However when it's bed time he goes in his own bed in the kitchen, and he's never allowed on the bed poop
Karlos16uk
Karlos16uk

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Fiver
Dog(s) Ages : Five
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down